Shell's response on 15/40 Rotella in Viper-Tom?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I noticed something on the Shell Rotella website, regarding Rotella-T synthetic:

LOW EMISSIONS
Protecting the performance of your exhaust-emissions control systems is not only important for your vehicles to comply with legislative requirements, but also to promote efficient operations. For instance, blocked diesel particulate filters (DPF) can actually increase fuel consumption. Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies. Meeting the ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4, Shell Rotella® T6 has been tested and proven to protect your vehicle.

What do you think about this, Tom?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. The change was coming, but it's still a better formulation and I recommend to keep using it.

In an EPA diesel emissions test, anything that gets caught on the exhaust particulate filter is considered "soot" and therefore "bad." Sulfated Ash is a measure of the detergents in engine oil, phosphorus is a measure of the antiwear additives, and sulfur is a component of the base oil and some additives. If the engine has any oil consumption, the tiny amounts of these additives are also consumed and subsequently trapped on the particulate filter to get "counted" as soot. To meet emissions with a diesel, the diesel OEMs are pushing down the levels of additives that if consumed, "count" as soot. This is different than in a gasoline engine where the phosphorus affects the catalyst peformance; in a diesel filter the additives simply contribute to the total soot.

The good news is that it allows the oil formulators the freedom to vary detergent, phosphorus, and sulfur levels to get particulate exhaust down to the acceptable level. In a gasoline engine, there is no leeway; there are simply limits on how much phosphorus is allowed. Diesel oils will still have more antiwear additive than gasoline oils and frankly, they have more detergent than you'll need. So it's still a much better choice.

We will have to wait to see what the next engine oil categories after this bring.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New question Tom,

Now that Mobile 1 has been bought by Exxon I recently bought a gallon of Mobile one at a cheapo price. Once I got it home I couldn't find anywhere that said "full synthetic" of "synthetic blend". I used Pennzoil full synthetic in my Viper instead.

Exxon making some big bucks selling Mobile 1 jugs with group 2 oils inside?

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang