Sherman, CT Crash

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no haha I'm only 19. maybe someday, but for now i've got myself a b5 s4 avant. my neighbor, who actually owns a viper heard the crash said he could hear the car accelerating, then heard tires screeching, then the crash. He claims they'll get loose real easy if you're on and off the gas quickly

Accelerating going downhill on a wet cold straight road.
Okie.
Damn deer. :rolleyes:

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City you drive that thing year round!? Your car is beautiful, get yourself a DD!!! :drive:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously City means he drives it when the roads are dry and sand/salt free, he's not out driving in a blizzard. Many of us here on Long Island will drive year round on clean roads. The cold means you take it easy and slow down. But the Viper is very managable in the cold if you have half a brain. I'd rather go take a ride somewhere driving at 40 MPH than staring out the living room window waiting for spring. It's a car.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny Chad, so do you then sell yourself as freshly roasted?

I'm with you Jon. I take my RT out in the winter providing the roads are dry and relatively clean. We don't use salt up here, so its making sure we stay out of the sand on the sides of the road. I would much rather drive my Viper slowly around town in the winter, than leave it sitting in the garage for months! Besides, I'm not a supporter of storing a car.:drive:

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously City means he drives it when the roads are dry and sand/salt free, he's not out driving in a blizzard. Many of us here on Long Island will drive year round on clean roads. The cold means you take it easy and slow down. But the Viper is very managable in the cold if you have half a brain. I'd rather go take a ride somewhere driving at 40 MPH than staring out the living room window waiting for spring. It's a car.

Ouch! Sounds like your talking about me :lmao:

Believe me, I would LOVE to have my car on year round, but being 20 years old and a license that is far from squeky clean (back from when I was still in HS), my insurance payments ****! :crazy2:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Apologies to the thread author for taking this off topic, but yes, Jon's exactly correct. That's not to suggest I haven't gotten caught in some brief unexpected snow squall once or twice, but with a bit of right foot modulation, it's really never been a problem (on dry roads).

I wish I were successful enough to drive my Viper and not give a damn about the weather (like Jon ;)), but if it's just cold (no ice, snow, salt, tempest, etc.) I NEED to drive.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJohn, My main worry would be the other people on the road not me. I don't know how it is there, but people around here have trouble driving when it rains.:drive:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes.
I don't know anybody who drives their Viper in the rain intentionally where on earth did anyone say that?
We were talking about driving on cold days with clear, dry roads.

Mommy.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 109K on my '94, live in the Tator Dodge area, and rain, cold, "dirt" etc don't stop me. Slow me down, yes, but stop, no.

Maybe you owners of fancy Gen 3's or 4's can pick up a cheap Gen 1 or 2 for the DD stuff. ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 109K on my '94, live in the Tator Dodge area, and rain, cold, "dirt" etc don't stop me. Slow me down, yes, but stop, no.

Maybe you owners of fancy Gen 3's or 4's can pick up a cheap Gen 1 or 2 for the DD stuff. ;)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've come to the conclusion that everyone treats their Vipers differently and none are wrong, as long as it works for them.

While my intent of owning a Viper was to enjoy it in the nice weather, I never take it out in the rain, even if there is a threat of rain...so snow, "ain't happening"!
But I have two other DD's that we use. As for winter, cold, the car's heat works fine, so as long as the streets are dry and relatively free from winter sand, I will drive it. For all the time I put in trying to detail the engine compartment, why would I drive it in bad weather and mess everything up? Just my view of owning my Viper.

Like Tom says, if you can afford a DD Viper, that would be very cool...but, for me, this RT is it!:D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PythonPete and I were out yesterday in low 30 degrees and put over 75 miles on.
Never so much as broke traction. Had enjoyable cruise.
Adjust summer driving style to suit cold conditions. Pretty basic.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't noticed anything in the local paper...latest is still that he was upgraded to serious condition from critical.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PythonPete and I were out yesterday in low 30 degrees and put over 75 miles on.
Never so much as broke traction. Had enjoyable cruise.
Adjust summer driving style to suit cold conditions. Pretty basic.

you'd think so. But apparently this is a very difficult concept to grasp. :dunno:.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove from Johnson City tn to Nashville and back a 5 hour trip each way with no problems at all. My car hit 767 on the dyno. It even snowed on the way back with no problems at all! Goes to tell you...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car the week of Thanksgiving in 1998 from a member in Montreal and drove home in snow.

This morning was 26F and dusting, but driving was fine. My IR thermometer said tread temps were ~80F when I got to work. I can officially claim 110K miles now.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my RT/10 all morning yesterday, top off in 33 degree weather with shorts on. Loved every minute of it. This morning, we got about an inch of snow. For ***ts and giggles, I pulled my Viper out of the garage. A few snow flakes fell on it and guess what? The paint didn't melt away. Funny part was trying to get it back in the garage...I couldn't get traction in 1" of snow, LOL.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no haha I'm only 19. maybe someday, but for now i've got myself a b5 s4 avant. my neighbor, who actually owns a viper heard the crash said he could hear the car accelerating, then heard tires screeching, then the crash. He claims they'll get loose real easy if you're on and off the gas quickly

SHHHHHHHHHH..... dont need any insurance agents pulling this SH&t off this forum.
Im sure it just sounded loud, my car gets loud when im doing 40mph in first gear also:).
Thanks again for the pics

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my RT/10 all morning yesterday, top off in 33 degree weather with shorts on. Loved every minute of it. This morning, we got about an inch of snow. For ***ts and giggles, I pulled my Viper out of the garage. A few snow flakes fell on it and guess what? The paint didn't melt away. Funny part was trying to get it back in the garage...I couldn't get traction in 1" of snow, LOL.

Did the same with my M3 yesterday in the driveway,,,,,2 inches of snow and went to rearrange garage and spent an hour trying to get car back in garage....... glad I didnt have to move viper because I know for a fact the damn car would still be sitting at the bottom of the driveway with 15 inches of snow on it, (that we got today).
nothing like suv's with AWD for Ohio Winters

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the same with my M3 yesterday in the driveway,,,,,2 inches of snow and went to rearrange garage and spent an hour trying to get car back in garage....... glad I didnt have to move viper because I know for a fact the damn car would still be sitting at the bottom of the driveway with 15 inches of snow on it, (that we got today).
nothing like suv's with AWD for Ohio Winters

Forget about rear-wheel drive BMW's with summer performance tires in the snow. LOL.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Shermanneighbor! I live about 15 minutes away and have not seen anything more recent. If he remains in critical condition, that is generally not a good sign but let's keep positive thoughts for a full recovery.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would much rather drive my Viper slowly around town in the winter, than leave it sitting in the garage for months! Besides, I'm not a supporter of storing a car.

Couldn't have said this better myself. That is my plan for this winter. Now, let's just see if the weather cooperates...:dunno:

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That is my plan for this winter. Now, let's just see if the weather cooperates...:dunno:

Not sure about your area Scott, but we have that salt spray already applied on the roads. I hate the idea of taking the car out in that stuff.