Viper crashes into tree near Boca Raton

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From Article:

NEAR BOCA RATON, Fla. -- A single-car crash seriously injured the driver of a car that slammed into a tree on the median of Palmetto Park Road early Sunday morning.
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office reports that a 2005 Dodge Viper driven by Sanford J. Gubernik, 69, of 1401 S. Ocean Boulevard, was driving erratically eastbound on Palmetto Park Road, then darted across the road and onto the median, hitting a tree near St. Andrews Boulevard.
Gubernick was transported to Delray Medical Center, where he remains in serious condition.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like I'm seeing a pattern here...That is it seems like most of these wrecked Vipers are people who bought them used, i.e. much more affordable. I feel like the people buying these new seem to have lot less of a crash rate. Why exactly this is I don't know..

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like I'm seeing a pattern here...That is it seems like most of these wrecked Vipers are people who bought them used, i.e. much more affordable. I feel like the people buying these new seem to have lot less of a crash rate. Why exactly this is I don't know..

I don't guess you were around when the Gen 4's came out. It was crazy how many were wrecked either on the test drive or a week or 2 after purchased brand new.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a couple basic questions to ask you:

So, based upon your statement people with less money don't know how to handle a Viper?

How do you know this guy bought his used?

So, if my friend who bought his Viper new in 2005 happens to wreck his now you would automatically jump to the conclusion that he bought it used?

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sandy is a really good guy and has had the car for quite awhile. He also has an SRT8 Jeep and he is not one who normally would drive erratically. What little information is given could indicate a medical issue, but I would ask all of those on this forum to put him in your prayers. He loved his Viper and is a MoPar fanatic, but what little can be gleaned from a short article it does not fit his normal demeanor.

Hang in there Sandy and God be with you , buddy.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"erratically" is a very subjective term. According to my wife, if I'm not the slowest car on the road, then I'm driving "erratically"

It is good to be reminded of how much power is under our right foot in these cars. Bad things can happen quickly, even to good drivers.

I'll definitely be in prayer for Sandy.

~Jay

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chest pains, Heart attack? No snow down that neck of the woods! Hope the guys OK.
It was in the 30's here the last couple of nights. That's damn cold for us FL people. I'm sure it didn't help with traction. Hope he makes a full recovery

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7-8 years old run flats from 2005?
deer?
alligator crossing?

...speedy recovery!

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say that is a bad assumption.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're pulling for you ... best wishes on recovery.
Perhaps somebody that knows him will give us an update when more is known about the situation.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sandy is a really good guy and has had the car for quite awhile.
Holy Crap! This is Sandy G who crashed??? I've been talking to him off n on for about the last 10 years, when we both had Prowlers :omg:

He can handle the car guys... It had to be something else that happened...

Get well soon Sandy! You're in my prayers man...

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he's okay!

The article states the driver was accelerating quickly...hhhmmm, I wonder if the same yo-yos who proposed 18-yr olds should be outlawed from driving Vipers will be commenting on this thread as well...?

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A reporter puts in the title of a news article that somebody "may die"!?! What if he starts getting better tomorrow? With the current state of medicine and the healing powers of the human body you don't know what might happen, and certainly a dumb reporter who is not a doctor has no business making a comment like that. That's ****in' pathetic reporting and he should find a new line of work.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A reporter puts in the title of a news article that somebody "may die"!?! What if he starts getting better tomorrow? With the current state of medicine and the healing powers of the human body you don't know what might happen, and certainly a dumb reporter who is not a doctor has no business making a comment like that. That's ****in' pathetic reporting and he should find a new line of work.

I thought the same thing. A woman who works for me flew to Denver a few days ago because her mother was in a bad wreck and was in the ICU. She went home three days later.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>was accelerating quickly on Palmetto Park near St. Andrews Blvd. when he “abruptly steered the vehicle to the left,” ....

Sounds like loosing control/traction...first traction than control.
The snake bites back when you don't expect it!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully we will get an update from someone closer to him to stop all the speculating.

What we do know is he is an older driver with experience. Maybe something DID break on the car? I remember turning into a corner years ago in my Chevy camaro and the power steering failed halfway through the turn. I was not expecting it and ended up taking out a large hedge in someones front garden! So things do and can happen!

Heres hoping for a speedy recovery.
Best wishes.
Mark
:uk:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+2 what an absolute pathetic attempt at an article. Newsflash to the reporter: anyone on the planet "may" die today. We don't know and neither does the reporter. Even if he was in ICU or "grave" condition, predicting his death is classless and I can't believe someone actually approved that for printing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sandy is still in intensive care and I hope to get more information from his son later today. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he is not just a fellow Viper owner, but a completely delightful gentleman who loves his MoPars. A kind and considerate soul and one all of you would be pleased to call your friend.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sandy has 5 broken ribs and is on a ventilator. According to his son he is doing better and the current prognosis is they hope he is off the ventilator in 2-3 days. He is totally unaware of the cause of the accident, so , of course, the Physicians at the Hospital are testing for other things as well. A true blessing that he seems to be doing better daily and the family is appreciative of the prayers from the Viper Club. He has a true passion for Chrysler products and he was enamored with his yellow SRT-10. Please continue to keep "Gub" , as he liked to be called, in your prayers. I will try to update all as I find out more from the family.

PS - thanks to those of you who called and asked me to give him your best. I conveyed these thoughts to his son!!!

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull'in and Pray'in for you 'Gub' God speed for a fast recovery! A friend of Bill's is a friend of mine (although I've never had the pleasure to meet either of you ... yet)