Shift from 3rd to 2nd at 5500 RPM

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a stock 2006 SRT-10 coupe with 3700 miles on it. I've had it for 9 months now and I love this car!! Yesterday (under rapid excleration) in 3rd gear at 5500 rpm I went for 4th gear and got 2nd by mistake. I had done this a couple times before at lower rpms, but this time I heard kind of a big clunk. I immeditatly shifted back to 3rd (thinking I had blown the tranny) and to my surprise up through the gears to 6th. I finally slowed down and shifted through all the gears, and everything seems fine. Does anyone know if I "hurt the car" or what I may have done to it. Any comments (or criticisms) will be welcome. Thanks all in advance.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I did the SAME EXACT THING the first night I bought the car and I almost kill myself, I started fishtailing in traffic and luckily I was able to regain control.

Next morning I ordered the HURST Shifter, and never had that problem again.

The clunk you heard was 99% axle hop, because the wheels locked up, do not worry you are fine.!

Cheers!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ditto what Zorro said - get a new shifter. I picked up the B&M for my Gen 1 and love it - and all the aftermarket shifters seem to be head and shoulders above the stock one!

Sounds like you got back on the clutch just in time that hopefully avoided any damage and you very lucky not go for a spin-out.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually you just need to change the way you hold the shift knob from 3rd to 4th. Instead of holding the shift lever with your thumb up and palm of hand on the passenger side, place your thumb pointing down with the palm of your hand on the drivers side of the lever. This will prevent your arm and elbow from drawing into your body during the hasty 3-4 shift which notoriously always finds 2nd gear. Consider yourself lucky many Vipers met there early demise finding 2nd when trying to hit 4th.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done that twice in my RT/10 but I don't think I was as high in 3rd as you were. The car was fine, but 2 soiled pair of boxers and a heartbeat of 3,000 BPM. Chuck Tator told me if the car drives fine and pulls as hard as normal after you did it, no harm done :2tu:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually you just need to change the way you hold the shift knob from 3rd to 4th. Instead of holding the shift lever with your thumb up and palm of hand on the passenger side, place your thumb pointing down with the palm of your hand on the drivers side of the lever. This will prevent your arm and elbow from drawing into your body during the hasty 3-4 shift which notoriously always finds 2nd gear. Consider yourself lucky many Vipers met there early demise finding 2nd when trying to hit 4th.
Exactly correct. Dont waiste your money on an after market shifter. I learned this technique years ago in road racing school and it truely works.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats the feeling of a short throw shifter. In any car, that is always my first mod.

So yes, that technique is in fact good and proven. But I still suggest for anyone to buy the shifter and replace that HORRIBLE and unconfortable U-haul-truck shifter that comes from the factory.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done it a few times in the GTS. No problem for the Vipers.

I think Dodge fore saw these issue and over build.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I want to see is a change in the engine management program that engages the 1-4 shift lockout. If this were to engage when the vehicle speed is too high, you wouldn't be able to make this mistake. It's a simple software mod that would increase the safety margin with no incremental cost to produce.

I have also made this mistake; even with a B&M shifter, it's just too easy.

Another version that has bitten many of us (not me quite yet) is to mess up a 4-3 downshift and get a 4-1 instead. This is most likely when slowing for a corner, and gets a bit exciting entering a high speed corner with the back wheels locked up.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, I would say that most of us who have slowed for a turn in 4th, then tried to grab 3rd have missed a few times.

I just ordered a comp coupe shifter (Hurst). I'm hoping it will help.

The hand positions do help, but sometimes even they will allow you to screw up when going up or down in a hurry.

Dan

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man... I got ripped apart when I first posted this problem. :crazy:

Listen to Hoosier... the techniques works. I haven't missed 4th in over a year now.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful shifting when cornering as well. Lateral G's make precise shifting more difficult because it becomes instinctual to hold on to the shifter to stabilize yourself at the same time as shift. I will try that thumb down technique.

OP
OP
R

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate all the great comments and advise. It sounds like I got lucky yesterday. I will try the technique - turning my thumb down, and look into a Hurst or B & M short throw shifter. Thanks again all. :nana:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate all the great comments and advise. It sounds like I got lucky yesterday. I will try the technique - turning my thumb down, and look into a Hurst or B & M short throw shifter. Thanks again all. :nana:

This is a timely thread. I just put in the Hurst shifter today and it is a HUGE improvement over stock. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have to try the hand trick, as I can't seem to make the shifts correctly at all in this car. Its weird as in my C5 I never had a problem like this.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i first got the car i was so careful trying to avoid a missshift i would always shift to 5th instead of 3rd, lol. After i got use to it, it was all fine though.

I will admit, the mopar shifter and knob make the car a lot more fun then the stock shifter.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem here with the stock shifter. On my 99RT I put in a B&M and also drilled & tapped the stock shifter rod so I could cut it off another inch. Short and works great!!! Viper shifter ONLY time short works GREAT! :laugh:

fixumm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up a 06 GTS last week and i did the same thing going home. 60 miles on the car and i thougt i did it in already what a feeling that was :( but after 600 miles on it this week end it runs strong and i feel much better. now that i see more of you have done it i don't feel so bad........

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. . . Does anyone know if I "hurt the car" or what I may have done to it. Any comments (or criticisms) will be welcome. Thanks all in advance.

I am curious what would be the first thing to break when you zing these motors? Anyone know (and about what rpm)? Rod/Crank bearings? Rods stretch/crack? Valve train float/squish? Piston/pin?

I'm surprised how many here feel the stock shifter design contributes to increased wrong shifts. Throw/gating/spring-return seem pretty positive to me.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
. . . Does anyone know if I "hurt the car" or what I may have done to it. Any comments (or criticisms) will be welcome. Thanks all in advance.

I am curious what would be the first thing to break when you zing these motors? Anyone know (and about what rpm)? Rod/Crank bearings? Rods stretch/crack? Valve train float/squish? Piston/pin?

I'm surprised how many here feel the stock shifter design contributes to increased wrong shifts. Throw/gating/spring-return seem pretty positive to me.

Perhaps your shifter is a little tighter than most. Personally, I was very disappointed with the stock shifter. It was sloppy and the throws were ridiculously long. I had an M3 that was far better. Even my Subaru STi has a better shifter. Pretty bad considering the Viper lists for 2.5 times as much $. The Hurst or B&M gives the car the shifter it should have come with from the start. Compare the two units side by side and the difference in material and constuction quality is enormous.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Perhaps your shifter is a little tighter than most. Personally, I was very disappointed with the stock shifter. It was sloppy and the throws were ridiculously long. I had an M3 that was far better. Even my Subaru STi has a better shifter. Pretty bad considering the Viper lists for 2.5 times as much $. The Hurst or B&M gives the car the shifter it should have come with from the start. Compare the two units side by side and the difference in material and constuction quality is enormous.

Even with an aftermarket shifter, do not expect miracles... still a crappy feeling, although WAY BETTER than stock.

I haven't driven a car with a better shifter than my old 996 with a B&M shifter. it was a pleasure to row through the gears!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ya think Dodge would read these posts which happen on a monthly basis and work on improving the stock shifter. Not like it's the most advanced piece of engineering.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another very good habit is to start and finish your downshift (if approaching a turn) BEFORE turn in. That way, if you are not smooth, you dont upset the car.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool ! Tried it and it works. Thanks
CB