Shift Light Question

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked through the first 11 pages of topics concerning shift lights and didn't find my answer, so I'm going to post about it. If it's out there and I missed it, tar and feather me and hang me at high noon...I apologize.

My question goes as such:
I haven't tracked my car yet but plan to, and I'd like to put a shift light in my car. Out of all of the options I've researched, I like the Raptor the best but it doesn't look stock. I've heard of people mounting them in the air ducts but I wanted to inquire about a different technique.

I have a 1993 RT/10 and have thrown the Skip Shift Eliminator I bought from Roe on there. I have no idea how anything looks behind the dash and was wondering if there is a way to wire up a Raptor and conceal it and run the charge going to the LED (on the Raptor) to the "skip shift" light that already resides in my gauge cluster. Then I'd maintain the stock look AND have a shift light.

Again, pardon my ignorance. I haven't looked behind the dash and don't know how any of that stuff is wired up, so if what I'm asking is completely ludicrous, feel free to belittle me in the space below. If you resort to name-calling, I prefer "******". Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
11 pages of searching and you read it all???

I recommend 6 days and 7 nights of Maggie Mays!!!

I don't even know what that means. Who is this mystical "Maggie" you speak of? Best not have nuttin' to do with Rod Stewart...

I didn't "read" them all, per se, but browsed the ones whose titles seemed relevant. Of those, most talked of aftermarket shift lights (Raptor, Autometer, etc.) as opposed to wiring up an existing light in the car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sure it can be done and i like that idea too. all it does is send a charge to where you want it to light up. im sure any light/bulb will work.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im sure it can be done and i like that idea too. all it does is send a charge to where you want it to light up. im sure any light/bulb will work.

I drove this morning and in direct sunlight, the light isn't as noticeable as I'd like it to be. Do you think you could swap out the OEM light with one of the LEDs from the Raptor? Then there's no WAY you can miss it when it kicks on.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You live in Austin and you've never been to Maggie Mays?

Have you considered the audible shift warning module?

...and I thought I'd hit all the Austin spots! In my defense, I've only been here 4 years. And I place blame fellow Austinites for not informing me of this "Maggie Mays" you speak of. Keep Austin Weird, indeed...

When I was kicking around the first 11 pages of those forums, an older post said that the audible module was for an S2000 only and they didn't recommend installation on an untested application (a.k.a. our cars). Has that changed since their post, or is there another manufacturer? A friend of mine has a new STi and he loves the audible shift indicator (it comes stock on his car). My only concern would be hearing it; I've got an RT with aftermarket mufflers, no cats and I'm working on locating some headers. Wind and engine noise would play a huge factor in that decision.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jasontiff,
Have you read this and then consider this.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/607055-shifting-your-viper-audio-tachometer.html

I think I describe it in the post, but don't hesitate to ask.
Later,

That sounds like an option, but for now I'm just exploring the option of wiring a shift light into the existing gauge cluster. I've got side exhausts and the windows (all 3) stay in the garage, so my car is extremely noisy, especially at high RPMs and high speeds. Even though a warranty comes with the module, I'd rather not go through the trouble of installing it, only to find I can't hear it and have to pull my car apart again to return it. I'm not saying I won't be able to hear it, but I know I'll be able to see the light and I'd rather explore an option that's guaranteed.

Thanks for the suggestion, though; it seems like a good idea, just not what I'm looking for right now!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jasontiff,
Hay, no problem, we all have different desires, just keep it in mind. I use a helmet, yes rear exhaust, NEVER windows at the track, and the beeper is loud.
If you can, mount the shift light high enough to keep your focus on the road.
Can't put my finger on the exact post, but somewhere it mentions a shift light that works from the Tach signal OR from a coil pack wire, and another shift light that will not, based on the Viper firing 2 cylinders at once, consequently the Viper ignition is essentially a 5 cylinder.
I know that sounds convoluted, but try to search out which shift lights will work and where to connect.

Later,

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jasontiff,
Hay, no problem, we all have different desires, just keep it in mind. I use a helmet, yes rear exhaust, NEVER windows at the track, and the beeper is loud.
If you can, mount the shift light high enough to keep your focus on the road.
Can't put my finger on the exact post, but somewhere it mentions a shift light that works from the Tach signal OR from a coil pack wire, and another shift light that will not, based on the Viper firing 2 cylinders at once, consequently the Viper ignition is essentially a 5 cylinder.
I know that sounds convoluted, but try to search out which shift lights will work and where to connect.

Later,

I know a gentleman down here (Austin) has the Raptor, and it's an easy 3-wire hook up and works with a Gen I. I just was inquiring to see if anyone knew how the gauge with all the warning lights was wired, and how easy it'd be to send the signal going to the LED on the Raptor to the "skip shift" light in the gauge. I know it CAN be done, I'm just wondering how complex it'll be and if anyone has done it before.

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put this behind the vent for a customer in the summer - worked out really well.

You must be registered for see images attach

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put this behind the vent for a customer in the summer - worked out really well.

Very cool install!

But... I won't even glance at the speedo when playing street race ******. I stop when either I've won, there's a red light, or a car in the way.

The AC vent? Guess if it was really bright and caught my eye. Just seems that anything you have to see would be best right in front of your field of vision. A light in the corner of your eye might be a distraction.

How did the customer like it?

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My customer reall likes it. We didn't want to mess up the interior or drill any holes - the car only had 800 miles on it when i did the work. So being that an A/C vent is readily available I decided to put it there. I used an Auto meter light so it is plenty bright enough, and the light adjusts by moving the vent, just like you would do to direct the flow of air. It turned out to be a really clean install and most people don't even know it's there until it goes off.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My customer reall likes it. We didn't want to mess up the interior or drill any holes - the car only had 800 miles on it when i did the work. So being that an A/C vent is readily available I decided to put it there. I used an Auto meter light so it is plenty bright enough, and the light adjusts by moving the vent, just like you would do to direct the flow of air. It turned out to be a really clean install and most people don't even know it's there until it goes off.

I'd put some change on the fact that your customer with his or her 800 mile GTS is not doing much real racing. Street or wherever.

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, my customer had just purchased the car prior to bringing it to me. After a long search for the right car they were lucky enough to find this completely stock untouched 2000 GTS. We did cylinder heads, cam, rockers, headers, exhaust, coilovers, etc, etc. They have been to quite a few track days this year, learning the car and how to drive it properly. While they are still rookies, the car will be seeing more track time then street use in the coming year. The Nitrous was just put on for a little extra fun when they go to the drag strip.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The nitrous purge through the NACA duct is pretty mean!

So, what I'm gathering is that no one has tried wiring a shift light signal into the OEM gauge? We've gotten a handful of very good alternate solutions, but no one seems to have tried it. I guess I shall be a guinea pig.

It'll be a while before I get to that project (late 2007), but I'll be sure and post when I do with pics/problems encountered/installation/etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine