Shifter question

Jason

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today I was driving my 06 coupe....

I did some wide open throttle pulls and on one of them my shifter got what seemed to be stuck. I was able to get it back into neutral but I could not tell what gear it was in... Anyone have a similiar experience or know what it might be? Its a stock shifter btw.

Also, when shifting at wot, a red light came on near redline...is that the shift light telling you its time to shift?

Sorry if these questions are dumb.

Thanks.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never experienced my shifter being stuck in any gear. On the other subject, your answer is yes. The red arrow is your shift light telling you to get ready to shift.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps you did not push the clutch in far enough before trying to shift. Not sure if that was the case, but in a fast take off you may have tried to run before catching the ball... :usa:

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had that problem but I believe if you go with an aftermarket short shifter(i.e. B&M/ Hurst) you will not be disappointed.....Good Luck!!!

Reaction score
You may have tried to get the lever between gears and not into the channel. The engine and trans torques over allot during WOT and the possibilities are there for this to happen. If you replace the engine and trans mounts with ours I bet you like the shifting and feel more. There have been quite a few threads on this if you want to research it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no dumb questions...how else do we learn what's going on with our cars? Agreed, the short shifter makes shifts MUCH smoother. Don't know what made yours stick...between gears til you put it in neutral is possible. ~juli

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may have tried to get the lever between gears and not into the channel. The engine and trans torques over allot during WOT and the possibilities are there for this to happen. If you replace the engine and trans mounts with ours I bet you like the shifting and feel more. There have been quite a few threads on this if you want to research it.
I installed the Woodhouse mounts. Made a huge difference. You dont have to chase the shifter when driving hard. Much more solid...Now if I miss a shift I can't blame it on the transmission moving.;)

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving my Crossfire lately and recently went back to my Viper. I've noticed that the shifter does not appear to be spring loaded like the Crossfire, i.e. it does not automatically return to the neurtal position between third and fourth. As I recall, I had to pull against a spring mechanism, in neutral, to bring the shifter to the left for first or second

In the Crossfire, the shifter springs into the position below third when I take it out of first into neutral.

Sorry if my description is poor, but it's the best I can do.....

Is this normal??????

Don

BriansViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jayson, I went threw this for about 3 months. My Viper used to get stuck in neutral. When I take off about 20mph going for 1st to second it used to get stuck in neutral, took it to the dealer and they replaced trans. Did not fix the problem. still did it. I talked to few Viper techs and they said they never heard of this before. What I found out was I was shifting when the green skip shift light was on so I was trying to shift into 2nd but skip shift was trying for 4th so it gets stuck in neutral. Now I don't shift when skip shift light is on. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang