SHIFTING 2nd - 3RD, doesn't wanna go in when shifting fast...WHY

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SHIFTING 2nd - 3RD, doesn\'t wanna go in when shifting fast...WHY

say racing or just playing around, from 2nd to 3rd, hard to go in or something....why?? anyone else got this problem, but normaly driving is PERFECT, this happened on my own car, and 4 of my customer's cars...WHY???

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SHIFTING 2nd - 3RD, doesn\'t wanna go in when shifting fast...WHY

I can concur with this...very frustrating when you are playing around with a motor bike and you can't get into third...

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good question. At VOI8 on the TMS, I had that problem once in a while when heel/toeing for a downshift in the infield section. I'd like to know why this seems to happen under load only.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This has happened to me too.

Carleton

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Third gear is the toughest of all gears to hit fast. I found it hard to hit it fast with the stock shifter. I put in an MGW GRIPPER and it works MUCH better. The gates on the linkages are very close. If you watch the shifter handle(with your hand off and away from the handle) under heavy acceleration in 2nd gear, you will see that the shift handle actually flexes to the right....up to 1 inch or so. This is normal as the motor torque is twisting on the motor mounts. The common motor mount that breaks is the left one. Here is a tip...while sitting in your garage, place the shifter in 3rd. gear, and eyeball the shifter knob against something on the dash...for me it lines up between the 2 heater control knobs. This is your aiming point when shifting fast for 3rd...Try it it works well.

Most misses into 3rd, happen because we overshoot the 3rd. gear gate and get caught between 3rd, and 5th. or end up directly in 5th. Do not slam it into 3rd. Shift fast but with a more smooth fluid motion. Also put your hand on the back of the knob and push your palm forward when going for 3rd. Eyeballing those heater knobs..... And don't forget to shift for 4th with your thumb DOWN...this will prevent you from accidently going from 3rd. to 2nd. which will be trouble.

AND YES...it can be a tranny mount, and or a motor mount causing more twist and torque of the shift handle. Remember the shift handle flexes with good mounts. Just watch it.......in 1st and 2nd gear. You will see what I am refering too.

Dave

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Third gear is in an odd position, and commonly you will hit the gate inbetween 3 and 5. When sitting still, this "dead space" is hard to find- but when moving, it is very apparent. "Holding" the shifter usually results in this happening, as you move it over too far. try pushing the shifter forward from the back left corner with the palm of your hand, it will find 3rd by itself. PAY ATTENTION to the way the shift feels as it enters the gear. if you ever manage to hit 1st by accident, it will not feel like a 2-3 shift. Again, PAY ATTENTION.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe with good tranny and motor mounts a gen 2 Viper engine might move and over around 3/4 inch.That of course means the shifter is moving around on you.I know the drag racer won't like this but what's the damn rush with so much torque and HP on tap?Relax,put the sifter in the right place,take your time,use the dead space as a guide.Sounds like you are playing too ******* the street.Invite your challengers to the local 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip for serious fun. GTS Bruce

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The best advice is what Final GTS said.

I had the exact same problem with getting into 3rd, but now its my easiest shift.

Dont try to force it in or guide it in, just push up with the palm of your hand. It falls right in every single time, makes shifting to 3rd a pleasure.

Now if I can just find the technique for powershifting 2nd...

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't disagree with what anyone has posted..but I found when I replaced my shifter w/ the SVS....huge difference. A lot of posts on this subject just a few days ago regarding shifters... you might want to take a look.