SHIFTING Your Viper - AUDIO Tachometer

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALL,

Installing the Modifry Redline Shift Beeper, will end your RPM shifting concerns forever!!
NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD OR TRACK TO VIEW THE TACH OR SHIFT LIGHT.

The Redline Shift Beeper connects to the Viper Tach Wire (see instructions), and will provide a series of 3 short "Pacing Beeps" prior to your set maximum RPM setting, which will then provide a continuous beep tone. Your Maximum RPM setting is via 2 dials, one in increments of 1000 RPM, the other in increments of 100 RPM.
The 3 short "Pacing Beeps" can be set to 100, 200, 300 RPM prior to the Maximum setting, your choice. So, for example if you set your maximum setting to 5500 RPM, and the "Pacing Beeps" to 200 RPM, you will hear a beep at 4900, 5100, 5300, and a continuous tone at 5500 RPM.
The Modifry Redline Shift beeper can be set for 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, and Viper (5 cyl) applications.

I have had mine installed for 2 track days now, and can only say that this is the only way to appreciate when to shift your Viper; JUST LISTEN FOR THE BEEPS.

Is it a little creepy never looking at the tach?, yes; is it a little creepy never taking your eyes off the road?, NO.

http://www.modifry.com/products/rlb/index.htm

http://www.modifry.com/products/rlb/RLB-2 Manual 1.8.pdf

Don Ruckman [email protected]

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I have to admit ignorance here about the Gen III, however, I did get this from a post:

Gen-3's have no tach signal wire. the gauges are all on a Bus system. The gauge cluster communicates with the PCM on the bus about all gauge functions, not just tach.

Look at the wiring diagram, and is there a tach send on the bus that can be isolated as the tach signal?

If not, then the "bus", containing the tach sensing signal might be extracted (RPM), by the Redline Processor, just as the Gen I, GenL II, RPM is extracted from the tach wire.

Can this "bus" be tapped into??

Later,

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How loud crossed my mind as well - not only exhaust to overcome, but when on the track with a helmet... The website has a short video, but its not a Viper and the recording microphone could have been right next to the speaker.

The speaker is separate, you can place it anywhere. It would be simple inserting a plug in line and hooking it up to an earpiece for under-helmet use (with volume control)...

Ron

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
LOUD is NOT a problem; my car as you know is an RT/10 with top on for track days, no windows, and Corsa Exhaust (rear exhaust), helmet on. YOU WILL HEAR IT - in fact the first few times - what is that noise (beep).

I mounted mine, speaker and module in the little tray under where the fog lamp, and "mystery switch" is located, below the radio. The instructions should be posted on the Mofifry web site SOON, like almost immediately. (Web sites listed above in post). It shows the installation, and location.

Yes ,the speaker is remote, and can be mounted essentially any place, including a plug in for the helmet; I say again, you WILL HEAR IT

Look at the web site and see the schematic of the unit and wiring - you will see how SIMPLE it is. The complete installation will appear soon, complete with pictures I took, during my install, while working with Modifry Products.

Feel free to ask me, and I will tell you what I know (albeit limited), except for the way it simplifies shifting.
I think the big thing is when exiting a corner at the track, and accelerating hard, maybe still turning a little, watching cars in front, and then hearing the beeps for shifting WITHOUT looking at the tach, is indeed a good thing.

Later

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the coolness factor, and bj's id get. It would be worth it....definintly...I cant hear anything anymore thanks to a m107.

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the coolness factor, and bj's id get. It would be worth it....definintly...I cant hear anything anymore thanks to a m107.

You mean one of these - might as well include the car to surround the steering wheel:) :) :)

4286-8-05_Enzo-Viper_on_Track1.jpg

Later,

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again, helpful posts about Enzos and BJs - thanks so, so much.... I admit I hijacked this thread, but only as it relates to a GEN 3 Viper.

When I'm coming out of the infield at my local track (2.5 mile on Pocono Raceway) in 2nd, I want to maximize my RPMs as I get onto the main straight (buzzing by Ferrari's, Lambo's, and GT's) - into 3rd, then into 4th a few tenths of a second before I get into turn one...

Yes, I'm very comfortable shifting based on the feel/sound of the V-10, and I do see the shift light even with my helmet on, but I wouldn't mind trying to keep my head up - espcecially at that speed - and being able to "hear" (beep-beep) when the best time to shift is...

Those that have consistantly hit the 151+ MPH max speed in 4th (GEN 3 stock gears) appreciate anything that helps you get to the maximum RPM.

ruckdr - since you're the one hyping this product, I'll leave it up to you to figure out if it works on a GEN 3 and if so, exactly which wire we tap into. If not, let's post a thread that says so...

Ron

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I appreciate your input and words about the Shift Beeper. It never crossed my mind the Gen III would be that different and not have a "tach" signal wire, per se.
Since I do not have a Gen III, the best I can do at this point is proclaim the use for Gen I's, and Gen II's.
HOWEVER, if a Gen III owner can help determine how to get a tach signal off the "bus", and if I can find someone locally (probably not hard) to work with, I can take mine out and try the connections on a Gen III.

Ron, one other thing, when you hit your max set RPM, whatever that might be at 151+ in 4th, the beep will be a continuous tone, and you will know you have exceeded your max set RPM. As you hear the 'Pacing Beeps', you will get used to and know where the "4th" (continuous beep) will be and anticipating it, you will only be there long enough to hear a beep (shift before continuous beep).;

Hope this helps.

Later,

modifry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
modi-fry , nice confidence inspiring name there :D
Hey, I resemble that remark!

The name was initially a joke, as a lot of forum names are, but as my reputation grew and google hits started adding up it didn't make sense to change it to something more "inspirational". My standard guarantee - Buy any of my products, return it FOR ANY REASON within 30 days for a refund.

Some notes:

Loudness - the beeper that comes with it is pretty loud. I've been making these for 5 years and this is the loudest piezo-beeper I've ever found. If you need louder you can always add a second beeper or install your own sounder as long as it draws less than an amp. I've not had any of the 4-cyl crowd need to do this but you big boys are a little different.

Gen3 - Gotta have a "pulse" signal of some kind in order to make it work. In theory it should be able to work from a coil pack trigger, but I don't like doing that because of ignition advance/retard, which has the effect of making the rpms appear to be changing when they're not. Though it might not be a problem up near redline where ignition advance shouldn't be moving around very much, you'll have to try it and see.

Q - Do you know if the Gen3 "data bus" is proprietary or is it OBDII?

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
You are so correct, that street use is perfect; as you said passing or accelerating in traffic, and having the "pacing" (warning) beeps, will help prevent hitting the rev limiter, while keeping your eyes on the road and traffic.

Later,

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065,
Don't sell yourself short on hearing; can you hear a dog whistle? Of course not, it is of a frequency we cannot hear. The penetrating sound of this beeper will cut through the exhaust. I had apprehensions before I started but learned quickly.
As Modifry (Bob), said:
Buy any of my products, return it FOR ANY REASON within 30 days for a refund.

Later,

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to be a neat product but with a shift light,if you have to take your eyes off the road (that will be track in my case), that's mean that your light is either not mounted correctly or not bright enough.
So assuming that both the beeper and the light do not require you to take your eyes off the road or track, what will be the advantage of a warning sound compared to a warning light?

Luc.00GTS

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
luc,
As I have never used a shift light, I assume the light comes on only at the shift RPM you set; no warning. With the beeper, the "pacing beeps", or warning beeps sound before your set shift RPM. This gives you a real appreciation, and anticipation of your shift point approaching. Do the "pacing beeps" happen fast - 1st gear VERY fast, 2nd gear not quite as fast, 3rd gear a little slower, and 4th gear even slower; remember in 4rh you a pushing more air and approaching 150 +/- .
Go to the web site and view the video and listen to the beeps in action.

Later,

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SYNFUL,

What is "high rpm playback"?

Gary

Go to the web site and read the description:
http://www.modifry.com/products/rlb/RLB-2 Manual 1.8.pdf

I'll make it easy for you -----

High RPM Memory

The module remembers the highest rpm the engine reaches, and will ‘play it back’ by beeping the sounder. The playback is initiated by pressing a separately wired button (or a factory control), and can easily be erased anytime you want. The High RPM is retained in memory virtually forever, even if power is disconnected. This function is useful for ‘Dealer Service’ or ‘Valet’ occasions when you want to know how your car has been treated.

To initiate playback – Press and release the High RPM Playback switch (or hold it for 10 seconds then release if using a factory control) and the Redline module will begin beeping. Be prepared and start counting the beeps. It will beep once
for each thousand RPM, then pause, then beep once for each hundred RPM. A high RPM of 7200 would play back as “7 beeps, pause, 2 beeps”. The module will also play a short beep to indicate a zero. For example, if the high RPM was
7,000, it would play back “7 beeps, pause, 1 short beep”.

To reset the High RPM – During playback of the high RPM or within 5 seconds of when playback stops, press and release the switch again. Once the High RPM playback is complete the module will give 4 quick beeps to confirm the high
RPM is reset. If the engine is not running it will reset to zero (short beep, pause, short beep), otherwise it will immediately capture the current engine RPM for the new High RPM.

Later,

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm, this reminds me of my G-tech pro... it reads engine RPM from the cigarette lighter, and it's very accurate. Also has a shift light feature which when mounted on the wind shield is pretty obvious when the bright red LED flashes. It's a heck of a lot easier to install and works in any car. Obviously it's not as advanced the beeper you guys are talking about though, guess it depends on what you're looking for.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065,
Don't sell yourself short on hearing; can you hear a dog whistle? Of course not, it is of a frequency we cannot hear. The penetrating sound of this beeper will cut through the exhaust. I had apprehensions before I started but learned quickly.
As Modifry (Bob), said:

Later,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm good myself :D

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SHIFTING Your Viper - AUDIO Tachometer GEN 3 NOW!!

ALL,

In my Post:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/607055-shifting-your-viper-audio-tachometer.html

I responded to a Gen III question:

"I have to admit ignorance here about the Gen III........."

Well I have become somewhat educated (not so ignorant), and here is what I discovered , after several weeks of searching.

It turns out that the Gen III Viper PCM outputs the Tach signal as is present in Gen I & II Vipers.
The signal, however, is not pulled from the PCM via a wire, so a wire needs to be inserted into the PCM plug, such that when plugged into the PCM, a Tach signal will be available for use with your Redline Shift Beeper. It also turns out that the location of the Tach signal is in the SAME location as in Gen I & II Vipers; that is: It is located in the Gray PCM connector (C101), Pin number C31.
Notice the C31 pin location has no wire and is plugged.
CAREFULLY drill out the plug about 1/8 inch. Use a #30 Drill Bit.
A wire with a connector (as other PCM plug wires), can now be inserted into the Connector, and when plugged into the PCM will supply a Tach Signal.

Where to obtain a wire with a connector? This I am not sure, I have some from the connector I used for the Gen III instructions. Dodge may have them, and some one here may know a part # or a cross reference.

Beeper_Tach_038.JPG

I obtained a Gen III GRAY PCM Connector, for purposes of providing pictures for installation instructions. I can send pictures if anyone is interested via Email (easiest way).

Sorry this took so long, but as you know, one cannot just go down to their local junk yard and get a Gen 3 PCM connector, more specifically the correct GRAY connector.

Later,
Don

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950