Should I install a roll bar in SRT convert?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '08 SRT Viper, which replaces one that was totalled after a truck wheel ran over a 30lb tool box lid from a preceding truck that had lost it on an overpass. Having no where to go to miss this flying decapitator, I swerved to miss it, and curbed the left curb at 60 mph. This caused the wreck, so now I wonder should I buy a rollbar ($2400 installed)? I would like to do a little autocrossing, too. I've owned 3 previous Vipers without having a use for a rollbar, but this last accident-in which all 4 wheels left the ground on an OVERPASS-makes me think I should go the extra protection of a rollbar.
How many of you use rollbars? I know the obvious safety advantage, but few of us avail ourselves of this added protection. Thanks for your replies.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform is the one that I have DC performance has one also advantages and disadvantages to both.

though i'd prob do the Autoform if doing it again

call JonB at PartsRack Online Shopping - Home he will hook up with the best deal, he's an Autoform dist.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent thread about roll bars - could not find it - whereas the roll bar without a helmet was ******* your noggin should you make contact with it.

Sounds like a toss up between possibly having the car crush when inverted, or getting a bruise when you bump the roll bar w/o helmet like on the street.

Of course if you are only talking about the hoops then the rest of the scenario like making it harder to get out of the car in a hurry would not apply.

Sorry I couldn't find that thread. It presented a good perspective on a race interior for street use.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I was going to put a roll bar in a Vert, id go with the autoform. Im torn betwwen Autoform roll bar or a hard top from Lemke. Ive sneaked thru tech many times, but trackdays/viper days and most drag strips want to see either a hrd top or roll bar installed.

Also, the autoform still looks very much like stock, I think the DC Perf. one is too much, unless your Viper is a dedicated track car.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Flyn-

I have an Autoform in my SRT-10 that will be for sale shortly. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

As far as contact on the street that applies to a rollCAGE not a rollBAR. Rollcages have bars that extend forward, rollbars do not. Just as there is no conceivable situation in which your head could contact the stock leather padded hoops, there is no way your head could contact an Autoform rollbar.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent thread about roll bars - could not find it - whereas the roll bar without a helmet was ******* your noggin should you make contact with it.

Sounds like a toss up between possibly having the car crush when inverted, or getting a bruise when you bump the roll bar w/o helmet like on the street.

Of course if you are only talking about the hoops then the rest of the scenario like making it harder to get out of the car in a hurry would not apply.

Sorry I couldn't find that thread. It presented a good perspective on a race interior for street use.

Was this it? http://forums.viperclub.org/performance-modifications/612256-attn-racers-benefits-roll-cage.html

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is a good clarification.

No problem. I just didn't want to scare anyone away from a rollbar as I feel they are a very worthwhile addition in any open car that is to be driven fast. They also have the added benefit of stiffening the chassis a bit.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I put the autoform roll bar in my 05 vert. As far as using it:omg:...I hope never:D
I thinkits a good idea in any open top car.
Dave

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Autoform installed in my 2008 convertible:

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_09.JPG

I will be using my Viper for the occasional autocross and for driving schools for which the Autoform is sufficient. In fact, my local SCCA autocross chapter does not even seem to require a rollbar. If you intended to race a car, however, you would need to look at a full rollcage.

What made my decision was looking at the stock rollhoops when removed from the car; they are nothing more but thin metal tubing (aluminum, perhaps?) coated with a thin layer of rubber or plastic. Relatedly, the warning sticker on the car makes it clear that the stock hoops, even for street driving, are not certified or intended as a rollover protection device. So for both the street and driving schools, the additional protection of the Autoform made sense for me.

/Rich

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be installing mine within a week or two so I can let you know how it goes. Its from Snake-Oyl Products. Its SCCA and NHRA approved. I was run off from my local drag strip last week because it ran an 11.13 at 127.45. They told me I must have the bar, 5 point harness, helmet, and fire jacket in order to come back. Oh well, what a good reason to get run off but its required at the speeds these cars will run. :D
I would recommend it.

Rollbar - SCCA/NHRA Approved :: Roll bars :: Interior & Safety :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories

God Bless,
Keith

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be installing mine within a week or two so I can let you know how it goes. Its from Snake-Oyl Products. Its SCCA and NHRA approved. I was run off from my local drag strip last week because it ran an 11.13 at 127.45. They told me I must have the bar, 5 point harness, helmet, and fire jacket in order to come back. Oh well, what a good reason to get run off but its required at the speeds these cars will run. :D
I would recommend it.

Rollbar - SCCA/NHRA Approved :: Roll bars :: Interior & Safety :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories

God Bless,
Keith

That's the Autoform. Actually the pictures on that site are of the old version of the Autoform---they since lowered the crossbar so it fits under the back panel and doesn't block vision to the reat or interfere with the top latch. However, I think you can still order it from them either way---old, high bar or new, lower bar.

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autoform told me they make the Snakeoyl rollbars,too. They are one and the same according to Autoform. I guess I'll make the plunge; better safe than sorry. There may be no second chance. Thanks, everyone.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that rollbars and rollcages may make the car even less safe in a crash. The entire car is engineered to collapse in a crash situation to save lives. Adding a rollbar adds stiffness that the car was NOT engineered for. At extreme speeds a rollbar/cage is a good thing, but not so good at lower speeds as it affects the crumple zones engineered into the car. As always, it depends on the crash as to whether or not a rollbar/cage would be any help or not.

On a vert. I would instal a stronger replacement for the stock mild protection bars, because they're 'sort of' engineered for the car. The GTS and coupe's already have built in rollover protection.

I do recommend installing bars/cages into older cars as they definitely benenfit from the increased strenght and not engineered with the same impact/crush zones.

Ted

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that rollbars and rollcages may make the car even less safe in a crash. The entire car is engineered to collapse in a crash situation to save lives. Adding a rollbar adds stiffness that the car was NOT engineered for. At extreme speeds a rollbar/cage is a good thing, but not so good at lower speeds as it affects the crumple zones engineered into the car. As always, it depends on the crash as to whether or not a rollbar/cage would be any help or not.

On a vert. I would instal a stronger replacement for the stock mild protection bars, because they're 'sort of' engineered for the car. The GTS and coupe's already have built in rollover protection.

I do recommend installing bars/cages into older cars as they definitely benenfit from the increased strenght and not engineered with the same impact/crush zones.

Ted

Again, for a cage, I could probably concur, but for a rollbar in these cars---no way. Take a look at the Autoform rollbar that is being discussed in this post and explain to me what plane it provides strength in that you would want to crush. Side impact and rollover, it's nothing but benefit.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an autoform Rollbar and somewhere I left a post on the installation of it. It was a pretty easy install. Just a note to remember that when drilling through the bulkhead you would be best off with an air drill dut to the fact of size of the chuck. a regular drill makes it almost impossible to drill a straight lined hole. The car is tighter in corners than before so I assume it has really braced up the center of the car. As for flipping over your rolling the dice. Better than stock but, you sure need to be tight in the seat to keep your head from going above the bar.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Canyon. I installed a 2" seat lowering kit at the same time and think that the combination of that and the rollbar is really great for a street car that is occasionally taken to track days. I don't have six points yet, but that would really round out the package.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Canyon. I installed a 2" seat lowering kit at the same time and think that the combination of that and the rollbar is really great for a street car that is occasionally taken to track days. I don't have six points yet, but that would really round out the package.
I think I might just install a lowering kit. I already have the 6 point belts. Thanks

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I might just install a lowering kit. I already have the 6 point belts. Thanks

NP, I had the 1" then went to the 2". I like the 2" a lot better. Event though the seat is fixed fore/aft, the adjustable pedals make it work. I actually had to push the pedals further back once I got the 2" kit, because even though the seat was in the same position, my legs were straighter, so I needed the pedals further away. And I'm not a very tall guy---5'10", 31" inseam.