Should my stick twist this way?!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the other day, I went to grab my stick and found that I could twist it a full 360 degrees and more either clockwise or counterclockwise! This simply doesn't seem right, but there does not appear to be any effect on performance. I've never changed the shifter components, any suggestions whether anything is wrong / what is wrong?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think you have a loose nut. Better check it.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothin's wrong Johnnie. I suggest you give Vivid Entertainment a call if you truely can twist yer shifter 360 degrees either way and still perform....Maybe you could even co-star with another RT-10 owner that I'm sure alot of us have had the pleasure of viewing!

Seriously, your knob is loose.

Reaction score
You may not be crazy! Do you have a B&M "Ripper" shifter, or the stock unit? B&M's have been known to fail in a similar manor when a welded component in the lower shifter mechanism breaks loose. This happened on a '98 unit I had. I opted to replace the defective unit with a new one that B&M had beefed up. To the best of my knowledge all later shifters by B&M were modified to prevent this problem.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lift up your stick and look underneath it for two nuts.. if they are both still there and intact then it probably just needs a good rub or two to get it back into position... if you need to use it at all, be gentle with it to keep it from exploding prematurely..

- eddie -

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimDavis MT 97GTS 650R:
You may not be crazy! Do you have a B&M "Ripper" shifter, or the stock unit? B&M's have been known to fail in a similar manor when a welded component in the lower shifter mechanism breaks loose. This happened on a '98 unit I had. I opted to replace the defective unit with a new one that B&M had beefed up. To the best of my knowledge all later shifters by B&M were modified to prevent this problem.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the "stock" unit, no B&M...

Also, I'm sure my knob is tight, it's the stick itself that rotates - suggestions?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic:
I think you have a loose nut. Better check it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean other than myself?
smile.gif
Or do you mean mechanically?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Did you get your balls cleaned? Where did that thread go anyways....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta go check that thread...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone
wink.gif

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
.... there does not appear to be any effect on performance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man. This is too easy of a target.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the question is does the entire shaft twist or just the knob on the end. If then entire thing twists whatever you do, don't unscrew it! If its just the knob then I concur that your nuts need checking...

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Did you get your balls cleaned? Where did that thread go anyways....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those bastiches smoked it, must've had no balls of their own to be cleaned. BTW, I saw your post about hiring a ballcleaner and focusing on the #2 blue ball
wink.gif

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a stock shifter, there is a rubber, vibration isolation section built into your shifter. It is on the shaft, just below the boot area. When this rubber breaks its bond to the metal shifter, you will be able to twist the stick around. It feels like the nut has come loose but that's probably not what the trouble is. I had this problem when I bought my high miles 94. I bout a, like new, shifter on ebay for under $20. There are lots of these shifters on ebay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog