Should there be a Seperate Gen 1 Forum?

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you should do a static page for GEN I parts/service info if that is what you need. A seperate forum will make everyone lose out on little tidbits of precious info.

Its already anoying how on 3 seperate forums I see the same post.. people are doing that with the all ey as well.

I think the "performance modifications" forum should be eliminated and just part of the Gen I/II and Gen 3 forum.

Good Idea! :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the gen 1 and 2 are close enough to be in the same forum.
How many gen 1s are there anyway?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that Gen I and II are so similar that things wil be lost. It seems there are only a few topics that tend to be disheartening (like head gaskets) where the talk sometimes degenerates into a "pile on the Gen I as it is inferior" theme. That aside I see no reason for separation.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Initially I thought, great idea. But think about this, if the issue is getting answers to maintenance questions on Gen 1 then you are obviously going to lose all the Gen 2 and Gen 3 guys who have been there and done that with the gen 1 and then moved on. They are not gonna bother to go to that forum and they just MIGHT be the guy with the answer who owned one. I'm a perfect example, I open almost every thread in RT10/GTS and Snake Pit, but I really don't go much to the SRT 10 forum. AND BECAUSE I OPEN ALL OF RT10/GTS I ALWAYS READ A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE GEN 1 PROBLEMS, AND I CONTRBUTE IF I CAN. I don't really think I would open a Gen 1 forum at all. I'm opening individual threads now because I'm not exactly sure what's in them, and I don't wanna miss anything. If I knew it was pure Gen 1, I would not open it. I actually made vehement objections to Tony when we split off RT10/GTS and SRT, and I think I've kinda been vindicated in that observation as we defintely now seem to be split in two groups Gen1/Gen2 guys Vs. Gen 3. It's ALL the Vipernation. I would say go back to Viper General covers all and you will get a lot more participation, interaction and more moving threads. At the same time improve the search function, I think it doesn't work very well and you solve ALL the problems of guys looking for fixes if the search works better. I think it's a search problem not a divided forum problem, the information is all here, it's just hard to find.
There is an interesting comparison here. Corvette forum does divide the cars, but they keep the cars on the same platform together. NCRS, which is ALL the guys restoring ALL the old Corvettes right through C4 to this point does not divide it up at all, they don't want to have anything fall through the cracks. They are maniacs for preserving information and we will be like them some day as our cars age. They actually have every piece of information written in their newsletters (All tech. stuff, no real fluff) and from their site available on disk, somrthing to think about!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thought. Team Viper (before PVO) always used to call Gen I and Gen II Chapter I indicating the SRT was Chapter II. That title did not hold. But I believe the inference is there. That is that Gen I and II are really the same generation with evoutionary improvements. The major changes came over a 2 year span (suspension in 1996 RT/10 and engine in 1996 GTS). We tend to call the 96 RT/10 a Gen I but it shares much of the chassis with the GTS and not with the 92-95 RT/10. Other things like hoods, brakes, wheels, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc. changed over time and not directly with the Gen I vs II timing.

I agree that more is lost by separation than is gained. Note that the Vette forum does not differentiate just because the body changed a little. If you look at the span from 1953 through 1962 the Vette changed significantly. But they are all termed C1 (I think).

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave it alone the way it is now. There are too many categories now on the board, you have to surf all over to try and get solutions to questions as it is. I think it will cut down on the number of visitors and input for the Gen 1 cars. God, ours is 10 years old already, 21K miles on it, still runs strong, but yes, the maintenance situation is coming. The car still wows lots of people, they mostly think it is only a year or two old, that's the part I like, not many people out there recognize the Gen 3 yet.
By the way, I have had BFG G-Force tires on the front all this season, (about 3K miles) , and they are fantastic tires, no complaints at all, no tracking problems, just a better handling car for the open road. The price is right too. I have Michelin Pilots on the rear, and this is a good combo for street driving anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc