side sill soda blasting

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the sills repainted and the shop suggested that soda blasting might be an alternative to chemical stripping of the paint. Anyone tried this?

Thanks

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have not done had it done to side sills but have had it done to other aluminum parts. It is the best alternative to stripping them. It leaves the surface smooth and not grainy like other medias do

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if they have pin holes in them you have to strip to bare metal and weld all pin holes you be as good as new

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have done it both ways...sanding to bare metal and repainting over existing paint. THe issue I had with simply sanding/repaining over the old is the rate of expansion the new paint had over the old...it ended up cracking (even with flex agent). When I totally removed to bare metal, I have had no issue with the paint. Looks great. So even though stripping/blasting to bare metal is more work, in my case it was necessary.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once had an entire vehicle soda blasted. Unlike sand blastting that creates alot of heat, soda blasting can be done on fragile parts like hoods etc and wont warp them from heat.

Soda blasting is basically baking soda at high pressure.

Not sure about the side sills but I dont forsee an issue as long as the operator has a brain. ;)

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with soda( Never on a Viper) is it cleans aluminum very well with No damage, However it must be washed extremely well if there is any metal overlapping as the soda will sneak under the overlapping metal and it works its way out when paint is applied and then the paint flakes off. Just don't blow it off, you must pressure wash the item after blasting, Also you might want to take a little rough sandpaper and scuff it up a bit as the soda blasting is very smooth.:D:D