SIGHTING... street race, GTS on I-95, Palm Beach

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A used 350Z, then modify it to beat a stock Viper that's worth the same price? I don't get it ...

You must have bought the Z because you like it a lot, and it just happens to beat a stock Viper sometimes, I guess.

I paid $9,000 for my used, modified Stealth that could beat stock Vipers. (60,000mi, mint shape).

New Vipers sold for $90,000cdn. Mitsubishi VR4's (not sold in canada) Supras and 350Z's sold for $45,000 + $45,000 import/excisetax = $90,000cdn. While the Stealth R/T TT (equal to 350, Supra and identical Mitsu VR4) sold for only $45,000 - no excise/import tax. Parts teh same. Might be different now.

Difference in value = tax paid at time of purchase.

I don't buy import, guess why?

Ted

Not sure what you mean with your first sentence, but you can buy a brand new 350Z at the dealer just up the road from my house for under 28K US (minus tax, tags, etc).

The tuners have made great strides with the car since it came out in '03.

And I see what you're saying. Ultimately, it's all about what floats your boat. Some folks just like the import scene more and would rather modify a Z and make it as fast as a Viper than buy a Viper and keep it stock.

Modifying the Z was a fun (and yes, expensive) project, and the result was a pretty respectable car. There's always something faster out there, so I don't worry about the competition.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kcobean...

i have to disagree with you man...

yes their are some guys that get close to 450 rwhp on the stock block 350z's...But the engine/trannie dosent last long whats so ever..

even your 410 rwhp TT setup is on the high side..

330-370 is average for a supercharger set up...while 370-410 is average for a TT set up...

While I do agree that a 3350-3450 pound 350Z with 9 pounds of boost pressin 385-415 rwhp to the rear whells can defiently give a stock 3380-3450 pound gen 2 viper with 400-420 rwhp a good run for it's money...

The fact is that every gen 2 that you will see is pushing a MINIMUM of 400 rwhp..Mine was 410 rwhp bone stock and with just smooth tubes and no cats is 428 rwhp..

The TT 350Z on the other hand could easily be running 7 pounds and have 375 rwhp. Or gettin close to the limit with 9 pounds and 420 rwhp.

I frequent the my350z boards daily and see a LOT more 390 rwhp TT 350Z's than 450 rwhp 350Z's. Simply because the trannie has proven that mid 400's is just too much and most guys dont wanna take the risk so they settle for around 400 rwhp ( wich is still a solid 165 rwhp better than the 235 rwhp they put down stock.

For a 350Z to EASILY pull on a stock GTS it needs a minimum of 465 rwhp. Especially considering even the TT set ups seem to have a hard time even trapping 120 mph ( some quite a few stock GTS's have done)

SOB...wish I was there to hand that 350Z a N/A goodness butt kicking. Great just what we need another 350Z thinking he is hot ****.

I HAD a guy like that here at work. Before I came he though his 350Z was fast and bragged about it relentlessly (other people told me this, nobody knew I had the ACR). So that week I brought in the Viper and asked if he wanted to line up. He said "No". So I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He agreed, so at lunch we take off to my personal proving grounds. Then I laid down 4 runs 50-150mph. Each run I scared the **** out of him. He was ***** white by the end of the runs.

To this day, NOBODY has heard anything from him about his 350Z.
Then he tells EVERYONE my Viper is the fastest street car he's ever been in. I always tell everyone my Viper is slow. Then I show them some pics, time slips and dyno sheets of some TT-Vipers. :headbang:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a new 2007 Grand Touring Coupe/Track 350Z and had mods done. I would not even think of running with my Viper or anyone elses for that matter. Its fast but not Viper fast by any means. The fit, finish and handling is awesome though.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disturbed...that is truly disturbing :lmao:

Speak small and carry a BIG stick. To me, that's the golden rule in performance cars.

My Viper is decently fast....but it isn't **** to a TT-Viper. Or some TT-Vette that makes 1,000hp.

In this day and age unless your car isn't making at-least 1,000rwhp or more....you are not the king of the block(unless you live on my street...sadly enough)

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw today saturday a black GTS florida tag "VENOM1" or "1VENOM" getting his ass handed on a platter by a black Nissan 350Z!!! they raced 3 times, and the Z won all of them.

This GTS had at least exhaust, since the tips were not exhaust...

Anyone here??

Do you really think that anyone is going to admit to street racing with the info that you provided? :nono::nono:How long has your head been stuck in the sand?
DrDJ

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you win, you win. If you loose, you loose. Just do a bolt-on TT then race that 350Z Boost vs Boost. We all know who would win. To make it a little more fair, let him use Race Gas.

If someone knows who that 350Z owner is...PM me. I'd like to run him.

I'm still N/A so that would be fair right??? :D

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:My bone stock 1997 GTS dynoed 423h.p and 460 lb torque at the Power Tour.It runs 12.19 1/4mi and 7.70s 1/8th mi and with the 3.07 gears and the factory street tires.

All the RT-10 Vipers prior to 1997 were V-10 400 h.p.Stock for stock RT-10 to a 1996 and up GTS whick is a 450 h.p. is no race comparison at all. The RT-10 usuall runs low 13s 1/4 mi.

NOW so what if that datson or neson or whatever beat the Viper in a street race. If one pulled up beside me I wouldn't give him the time of day or the pleasure of him thinking that he could run with me, and I don't street race I race at the track....Now also alot of young kids think the Viper may have been racing them when in fact the Viper wasn't even gettin down at all and just wanted the Nissan to go away.

The bottom line is the time slips at the track.If the brand X car runs faster then say 12.19more power to him, but that would be an exception to the rule....

Now I also do own a 2006 RSI TWIN TURBO VIPER SRT-10 that runs hign 9s 1/4 mi with the 3.07 gears it came with and the street tires it came with.It will do 0-60 in 2.9 and top out at 215 mph. I wouldn't EVER street race anyone, not even a VW...TAKE IT TO THE TRACK and compare timeslips, then talk smack....and then so what....there is always a car faster out there...thats hot rodding.....BE SAFE...[QUOTE

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There you go..You had a 1994 RT-10, 400 h.p... They did good to run a low 13 1/4 mi stock trim.

ANY 1996 to 2002 GTS have 450 h.p and 490 lbs of torque. They run a very low 12 1/4 mi to high 11s stock trim. (Depending on the driver)

Out running 1996 and older RT-10 is nothing to brag about. Most Viper owners don't street race and kids do that little jack rabbit thing along side and then take off and the Viper owner isn't even paying attention to him and the brand X guy goes and tells all his friends that he raced and beat a VIPER.....

Park a 350Z in a parking lot next to a Viper and stand back and see which car gets all the looks and attention. It don't matter if the 350Z or whatever is turbo charged or not and tons of money .The Viper will get all the attention hands down.....

Although I am not knocking any kind of other cars or hotrods as I have had them all and raced them all at the track. Been around the block (or down the strip many times) and respect everyones interest in what we all have in common and that is fast cars...."TAKE IT TO THE TRACK AND COMPARE TIME SLIPS',,,,heck by the way my little BLOWN 750 h.p, 8/71 Weiand blower small
block 355 cu in will run circles around my wifes 1996 Viper GTS....Sooooo What....Now my 2006 RSI TWIN TURBO VIPER is another story, ha!

ALSO a real race is from a dead stop thru the 1/4mi or 1/8th mi (AT a Drag strip) We don't do drag racing from a roll......See YA!!!
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you win, you win. If you loose, you loose. Just do a bolt-on TT then race that 350Z Boost vs Boost. We all know who would win. To make it a little more fair, let him use Race Gas.

If someone knows who that 350Z owner is...PM me. I'd like to run him.

I'm still N/A so that would be fair right??? :D

Donny, be careful of some of the Z's around here. Performance Factory is here and town and have put out some of the fastest Z's. They have a couple running low 11's and 11.0(record) on stock block. There's also quite a few built motor car running around as well. There will be a bunch in town this weekend for a meet.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There you go..You had a 1994 RT-10, 400 h.p... They did good to run a low 13 1/4 mi stock trim.

ANY 1996 to 2002 GTS have 450 h.p and 490 lbs of torque. They run a very low 12 1/4 mi to high 11s stock trim. (Depending on the driver)

Out running 1996 and older RT-10 is nothing to brag about. Most Viper owners don't street race and kids do that little jack rabbit thing along side and then take off and the Viper owner isn't even paying attention to him and the brand X guy goes and tells all his friends that he raced and beat a VIPER.....

Park a 350Z in a parking lot next to a Viper and stand back and see which car gets all the looks and attention. It don't matter if the 350Z or whatever is turbo charged or not and tons of money .The Viper will get all the attention hands down.....

Although I am not knocking any kind of other cars or hotrods as I have had them all and raced them all at the track. Been around the block (or down the strip many times) and respect everyones interest in what we all have in common and that is fast cars...."TAKE IT TO THE TRACK AND COMPARE TIME SLIPS',,,,heck by the way my little BLOWN 750 h.p, 8/71 Weiand blower small
block 355 cu in will run circles around my wifes 1996 Viper GTS....Sooooo What....Now my 2006 RSI TWIN TURBO VIPER is another story, ha!

ALSO a real race is from a dead stop thru the 1/4mi or 1/8th mi (AT a Drag strip) We don't do drag racing from a roll......See YA!!!
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

It's easy not to race when you know certain of the outcome.
I bet you won't be able to resist if next to you is a Veyron :)
I think people track-race to race the driver, and street-race to race the car.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but your are right, there would be a few I would want to hurt their feelings like a Saleen S7, 911 Twin Turbo Porsche, Lambos,ZO6s..but its rare when I get lucky enough to find one of these victims.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Donny, be careful of some of the Z's around here. Performance Factory is here and town and have put out some of the fastest Z's. They have a couple running low 11's and 11.0(record) on stock block. There's also quite a few built motor car running around as well. There will be a bunch in town this weekend for a meet.

11.0....hum,was that on street tires and pump gas?

Sounds like it would be a great race. The best I did with you was that night I hit 11.6@126 that was with a 2.0 60ft on OLD STOCK tires. I think it would make for a good race. Keep in mind I did run 11.1@131 w/1.8 60ft on street tires and pump gas. The only change between the 11.6@126 and 11.1@131 was new rear tires. With the old tires I was spining 1st - 3rd gear to about the 1/8 mile mark. Now I spin first a bit near the top, and 2nd will cherp then it's a dead hook.

I'd love to run that Z.

I tried to run a Black C6 ZO6 two weeks ago, and he wouldn't do it...he turned up his mexican music and wouldn't even look over. Maybe my car is too loud???

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.0....hum,was that on street tires and pump gas?

Sounds like it would be a great race. The best I did with you was that night I hit 11.6@126 that was with a 2.0 60ft on OLD STOCK tires. I think it would make for a good race. Keep in mind I did run 11.1@131 w/1.8 60ft on street tires and pump gas. The only change between the 11.6@126 and 11.1@131 was new rear tires. With the old tires I was spining 1st - 3rd gear to about the 1/8 mile mark. Now I spin first a bit near the top, and 2nd will cherp then it's a dead hook.

I'd love to run that Z.

I tried to run a Black C6 ZO6 two weeks ago, and he wouldn't do it...he turned up his mexican music and wouldn't even look over. Maybe my car is too loud???

I know he was running slicks and I think he was @ 10 psi. They'll be lots to run on Sat. They are all meeting @ the Winghouse on 436 and then head over to the corner afterwards. I'll be out there if it doesn't rain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960