Silver state classic

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anybody else doing this in Sept?

I am doing the silver state classic, the traditional 318 race.

Hopefully running at 145mph if I can find a hard top in time.

it was very fun, in my previous(and first) time, at 125mph. Now that I have most of the equipment, it's much easier to show up.

I was surprised that so few vipers attended, although it seemed as though there were a bunch of viper owners there with "different" cars.

Is this due to the fact that so many viper owners have other cars that they are less afraid to cut up(well cut up in major ways..)

cosborn

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be there for sure but not in my Viper. I ran my Vipers at least 10 times in these races. I just think most Viper owners are not in to racing as much as the vette guys. I will be in Cup car. Last May I averaged 198.99 mph but with the road so bumpy we may go slower so we can be safer. Look me up when you are there!

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of us from the SoCal VCA are going to the new Gold Rush Classic the week before the Silver State Classic. We will be running our Vipers. Because this is my first run in this rally, I can only run as 125 mph with a tech speed of 135 mph. Should be a "lode" of fun.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to get in, but they never sent me anything? They said
I was on the waiting list and I'm still waiting
frown.gif

Oh well maybe next year?
Steve

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will also be at the Gold Rush in the Cup Car. If anyone wants to still get in either race let me know and I am 100% sure on the Gold Rush and about 95% sure on the Silver State that I can get you in. Gold Rush is 9/16 and the SSCC is 9/23.

Dave

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Is a pure stock GTS only allowed to enter the lowest division -- Touring?? The Top Class speed in Touring is only 110 and the tech speed is only 124.

<LI>The book I have lists the 125 mph class as being in the Grand Touring Division with a tech speed of 140, not 135.
[/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamC:Because this is my first run in this rally, I can only run as 125 mph with a tech speed of 135 mph. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv,

You are correct about the 140 max speed. A stock GTS WITH 5 POINT HARNESSES can average up to 150 mph with a 165 tech speed. Of course you need a driving suit helmet gloves and shoes. Harnesses go in a GTS in about an hour no work at all as the car is pre drilled for them.

Dave

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Dave. Do you know if there are any VIPER Teams for the Gold Rush or Classic Challenge?

Which of the 2 will have more Vipers?

Since Wayne S and Paul H don't have Vipers right now there has to be some others to fill in.

Thanks, Marv

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled the Rules, Regs, and Requirements book. I am pleased to find out that the tech speed for the Grand Touring Division (115 - 125 mph) is 140 mph. To run in this division, a 5/6 point harness is required along with a mounted fire extinguisher. I just put these in my car last weekend just so I could run in this class. First timers are not allowed to go in the higher divisions unless you can show "extensive" experience. The Grand Sport Division (130 - 150 mph) has a tech speed of 165 mph. In addition to the fire extinguisher and harness, a 32 A/1 rated suit and an approved roll bar is required in this division. I hope this helps.

By the way, I spent a lot longer than 1 hour installing my Team Tech 6 point harness. Thanks to Henry and Janni Cone and JonB for all the help with the harness.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A first time driver can run 130 w/165 tech as per the rules copied as follows:

A. First time drivers may not enter any Division/Class above a target speed of 130 mph (unless otherwise waived by the appropriate SSCC officials).

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time entrants can get a waiver on that
130 mph class. You need to show completeion of driver sxchools (high performance) I used justin bell's 3 day school, bob bondurants.etc You can use Skip Thomas etc.
I got the waiver so can you! My first time out was in the 150
class in the Viper.You'll be comfortable enough at that speed
in the Viper.I'll be at Silverstate on the 23rd look forward
to seeing Marv S et al.I need to get rollbar put installed
in the Porsche TT before
I go or I'll be FORCED into the lower class. The GTS can run
as factory equipped in the 165 tech speed class!!!!!
Take advantage of this guys!

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be going to the Gold Rush. I think most of the members of Southern California Viper Club have switched to the Gold Rush. I believe there will be a Viper team, as there has been for the last 2 years at the original SSCC. Bill Bagshaw is coordinating this for our club. I will be leaving from the Anaheim area on Thursday, Sep 13 at around noon. Anybody interested in caravaning to Sam's Town in Vegas? If so, let me know your area and any suggestions on where/when we can meet. Also, I am staying at the Jailhouse (the hotel!!) in Ely. It would be fun to have most of the Vipers staying in the same place.