Sketchy b/w auction on ebay

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you just get their contact info via ebay? You should be able to get their phone number.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching this auction on ebay for a b/w GTS with no reserve. I've e-mail them twice about 2 days apart asking if I could pay cash in person after I inspect the car. To this date I have had no response. If anyone is looking to buy this car I would proceed with caution.

Dodge : Viper:eBay Motors (item 280358567554 end time Jun-21-09 19:18:17 PDT)

Are you trying to keep the bid low? :D

Just about every car I've seen on Ebay will allow an inspection PRIOR to the completion of the auction. If you're telling them you want to inspect the car and then pay IF the car passes inspection(after winning the auction), then that is probably why you haven't heard anything back from them. :confused:

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed the seller and he emailed back in under 4 hours and they have an ebay rating of over 500 with 98% sat, so I am sure it is legit. But as always buyer beware.

Are those red (instead of factory black) engine intakes smooth tubes?

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No time left for me to ask Chuck Tator to run a VIN check on service history:omg:

Auction ended at $34,544..wow I hope this is a victory story for someone and not the seller bidding under another account against himself.

Fun one to watch.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All over, $34k. had my finger on the trigger... But NM is just too far... Thats was a nice buy... Carfax 1 owner car..

OP
OP
R

Rock Morgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, I wasn't tring to keep the bid low. There was a guy on Viperalley that thought he got a deal on a 02 ACR. It turned out not to be a deal. That could have been me when I bought my last Viper, and I was interested in this car too. NM is a long was from Arkansas and there is no way I was just going to send 35K, and I don't think responding with a simple "no" is to much to ask for. Read this thread and honestly decide if that could have been you. I'm not trying to wreck anyone's auction. I just thought there was a lot of parrallel's to this guy's story and I wanted to let everyone know so they could take appropriate measures to protect their investment. If I offended anyone I'm apologize.
2001 Viper GTS ACR Yellow FRAUD Oklahoma City, Please read/help! - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I wasn't tring to keep the bid low. There was a guy on Viperalley that thought he got a deal on a 02 ACR. It turned out not to be a deal. That could have been me when I bought my last Viper, and I was interested in this car too. NM is a long was from Arkansas and there is no way I was just going to send 35K, and I don't think responding with a simple "no" is to much to ask for. Read this thread and honestly decide if that could have been you. I'm not trying to wreck anyone's auction. I just thought there was a lot of parrallel's to this guy's story and I wanted to let everyone know so they could take appropriate measures to protect their investment. If I offended anyone I'm apologize.
2001 Viper GTS ACR Yellow FRAUD Oklahoma City, Please read/help! - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

If I was closer, I would have bought this car.... Its just sounded like you wanted the seller to "end the auction early", to keep bidding down, which is fine.. But to assume there is something wrong with the car because he won't reply, is a big assumption..

When selling a car, you get SO MANY timewasters. It's frustrating. Not saying thats you. But these people are out there..

Why didnt you just bid on it, win the auction. Then fly out to NM and pay cash in person.. Forget the deposit. Just pay in full within 3 days, after you see the car. You could meet the trucker out there in NM, while your there. Load the car, fly back home WITH TITLE IN HAND AND THE CAR on the truck, car shows up 3-5 days later. Done deal...... Ive done it probably 50 times.

The guy on the Viper Alley wired money, without even as much as a copy of the title...:rolleyes:

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if you have seen the new stats that EBAY has built into the system. Of note on this auction was that the "winning bid" who has a rating of (20) has bid with the seller of the viper 37% of their bid history.

One reason they now show this stat is to see if someone setup an account(s) to bid on their own item and drive up the price OR not let the item go too low on a no reserve auction.

OP
OP
R

Rock Morgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why didnt you just bid on it, win the auction. Then fly out to NM and pay cash in person.. Forget the deposit. Just pay in full within 3 days, after you see the car. You could meet the trucker out there in NM, while your there. Load the car, fly back home WITH TITLE IN HAND AND THE CAR on the truck, car shows up 3-5 days later. Done deal...... Ive done it probably 50 times.

My plan was to fly in, pay, and drive out. I've bought my last 3 Vipers that way. All sellers have their own terms and I asked all of those sellers if that was o.k. , and all of those responded with a yes, and I bought. I've owned 6 Vipers and on number 3 I had a shipping company "AAA" Auto Transport destroy the side sills on a 97 GTS, not pay for the damage, plus the car was not as advertisied. After that I always fly or drive, inspect, and pay in person. I figured this out the hard way, and yes that probably was a big assumption.

For the last 4 years I've been dealing with muscle cars, specifically 1968-1970 Dodge Chargers and internet fraud happens all the time. I am a member of dodgecharger.com which is a close knit community like VCA, and we all look out for each other and have a special section on the forum for ebay ads in general. Everyone reports on things that seem fishy just so members are advised. That was my goal, to proceed with caution, and now I guess I have offended some members. I know about timewasters. I sell cars for a living, but I do buy cars, a lot of cars, and I was sincerely tring to help. I'll just mind my own business from now on.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know time wasters are excessively annoying, but I agree with Rock. He asked a question and the guy should've replied. I list stuff on Craigslist occasionally and I get some "tire kicker" type questions, but I always answer each one. You never know when a tire kicker may end up being a buyer

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live on the border near Savannah Georgia and I bought my car from upstate New York 17 hours away. If it seemed like a good deal, I think the distance to me would have been secondary. Buying a used car is always a gamble regardless, in my opinion! There is always some uncertainty I believe!!!! :dunno:

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is back on ebay! Kinda gets me because it looks to be that this seller puts it at no reserve then bids on it with another account if the reserve is not what he wants for it.

Again take a look at the ebay stats, the "winner" was someone who bids on 37% of the sellers auctions and now the car is back on ebay.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take a look at the ebay stats, the "winner" was someone who bids on 37% of the sellers auctions and now the car is back on ebay.

That Bid History is only for 30 days. It only says that 37% of all bids that the "winner" made in the last 30 days were to this seller. That doesn't sound unusual. If I had bid, it would have been 100%.

That being said, I wouldn't bid on a car in an eBay auction based on any other bidder's bids. Assume that they are shills. Just bid what you are comfortable paying and make sure that you get to inspect it before handing over any money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang