Skip Barber 3 Day Racing School

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this type of racing school? How much could they possibly teach you in 3 days?

Do you think it is worth $3500.00? It does seem the easiest way to get a competition license though.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Iceman, I would suggest getting some tracktime before the investment. Cheaper time like Carguys or a NASA HPDE event, regional BMW or Porsche event etc... Then spend the big bucks on Skip. You'll learn alot but may get more out of it coming into the instruction with questions. This is assuming you dont have any track time, which may be a bad assumption...

Your from Florida, right? Too bad they dont have Justin Bell anymore. Thats where I got my SCCA comp lic.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. I have attended two NASA HPDE's (Moroso and Homestead) and one autocross. At the Homestead event I passed everybody in my group so I think I am ready for school.

My concern is if it's worth the money? I usually get an instructor with me at the track days. So how much better is the school?

Yep, I am in South Florida.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A proper driving school will do things no DE can do, such as drills on shifting up & down, threshold braking, and skidpad. It is hard to practice the fundamentals at a DE and I think a basic school is a very good idea. But then I run one.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Myself and two friends I met at the driving schools are signing up for the Feb. Skip Barber 3-day racing school at Sebring. Been wanting to take the school for years but your right $3,500 is a lot of $ but if it can help me stay up with Chuck 98 RT/10 it's worth it.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took their 2 day high performance driving school and learned so much. Am taking the 3-day racing school next spring to learn even more. Mention that you are a VCA member. I got a 25% discount for the 2-day school and I believe you get a 10-15% discount for the 3-day racing school. Check it out.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, they offer a 10% discount for VCA members. Now, how do I join VCA?

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ice......Go to a Skippy school and you will be a MUCH better driver. Try to go in Fla and ask them wher and when Pete Argentsinger is teaching... HE is one of the best.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the Skippy three day school is an excellent way to learn how to drive fast. I have been to three Skippy schools & one Derek Daly school. Personally Derek Daly has a better system, they have an on board computer to analyze your driving against your instructor.

To maintain my edge I am always having my driving analyzed by a pro....

Butch
SMS Racing

01 Viper GTS 10.33 e.t @ 136 M.P.H.
02 360 Modena
93.5 Turbo Supra 615 r.w.h.p. 600 r.w.t.q.
04 Cadillac Lade
03 BMW 760 Li
04 Audi S4
Ac Cobra (460 c.i. Ford Racing Motor 550 h.p.)
03 Mercedes SL55

03 Porsche GT-3 Super Cup Car (5th @ 2004 SCCA National Division)
2004 SCCA GT-2 National Track Record @ Road America 2:22.60

Autobahn Country Club Founder

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to the Membership menu (top of window), then Application. This will download a Word document for you to fill out.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the computer age we are filling paper documents and mailing them? Is there no electronic way?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Skip Barber 3-day racing school was well run and taught me alot about heel/toe shifting, threshhold breaking, passing, etc. The instructors were knowledgeable and had lots of racing experience. If you need a racing license that's probably the way to go. The biggest drawback is the price, but you use their cars, not yours. In my school someone put one of the cars into the wall and the damage was pretty severe. For anyone not really interested in pursuing a racing license but who wants to improve their Viper abilities, there's nothing like Viper Days. It's a lot less expensive, with the exception of the wear on your car, and you get lots of quality track time.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us in South Florida Viper Days is a myth. I don't think they have ever been down here at Moroso or Homestead.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, I was at a Viper Days event at Moroso in Nov. of '98.

Mark your calendars now - I believe Viper Days is scheduled for Sebring on April 30 - May 2. What a great track!

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The three day school is great. Highly recommended.

I believe if you sign up at a pro-type event you get something like $500 off the price. I signed up at the Monterey Historic Races a few years back and the deal was $500 off or a free helmet.

Have fun.

Regards,

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're in Florida you need to join SAFEMotorsports.com

Sebring - Homestead - Mororos for $250 each and nearly 6 hours of track time. No instructors though.

Next event Sebring Dec 5.

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attended a SB school at Laguna Seca in Calif. a few yesars ago.

I believe that what they teach is of value. You need to decide if that value is overpriced or not. Also, be sure you have a curriculum guide BEFORE you go. My expectations of some track time were not met. Know what you are buying.

Have fun.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I will as soon as they come back to Homestead or Moroso.

By the way, check out:

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/

if you like Sebring.

Chin is a fine club but they are pricey and use run groups which limit you to two hours of total track time.

SAFE Motorsports limits entries to 65 cars, is non-profit and doesn't have run groups - which translates to more than 5 hours of track time. No run groups is a HUGE convenience, no worries about missing your time slot. And there's nothing like going on the track whenever you feel like it.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, if you like that then the best one has to be the Open Test Days at Moroso. I was there on Friday. Only about 4 cars at a time and you can run all day if you want.

Maybe close to 7 hours of track time.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took the Skippy school at Limerock. Afterwards I took the PANZO school at Sebring. The Panoz school is a better school for wheel to wheel schooling...IMHO. As a Viper driver you're not going to like the itty bitty Dodge formula cars and if you are a big guy (like me 6'2" 250 pounds of solid muscle..LOL) you wil find the Skippt car confining. The PANOZ GT gars are closer to the Vipers and with open header side pipes they sound boss. A less expensive way to go to race school are the SCCA schools. You need to bringa car ....or you can rent one. All the above are better then a track day...they teach you heel and toe, trail braking, car control and most importantly, respect for speed.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with these SCCA schools is they never seem to come to South Florida.

The thing that's holding me back is the need to participate in two races a year to renew the license. I need to figure out how to do that before I spend the money for an SCCA regional license course.

Have you guys found any way around the two race requirement?

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no way around the two race requirement. Consider the Spec Racer Ford class (mine) in SCCA. You can rent a car for $1200 - $1600 per race weekend. That is about the least expensive way to race short of someone lending you a car. In Fla, get a hold of RMS racing, http://www.robinsonmotorsports.com/.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960