Skip detailing by dealer upon pickup?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was generally very pleased with the paint finish and detailing done by my local dealer when I picked up my 2006 Viper. In very bright sunlight, however, I noticed some minor swirl marks which could have been caused by improper detailing (using a dirty wash mitt, too much pressure applied when washing, failiure to throughly polish finish before waxing etc.)

I now have a 2008 on order and am considering asking my dealer to skip the detail process completely. What are the pros and cons of this? To those of you who are actually car dealers, is there some minimal prep that must be done on the car before delivery? For example, some cars are wrapped in cosmolene or other protective materials which must be removed before delivery.

I am fairly anal about car detailing and feel that I could do the job pretty well myself but would like your experiences and input. Thanks.

/Rich

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON"T LET THEM TOUCH IT!

Viper paint is a b---- to buff out.

Note the dealer installed swirl option (DISO) in the pic below.

I took the car in for service and told them NOT to wash it.

Look at how I got it back. There was no way I was going to let them buff it out to fix it.

Took 8 HOURS for me to polish it back to where I had it. :nono:

Probably used the shop rags they change oil with.:crazy2:

Rant over......

416IMG_2079.JPG

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen to not letting them touch the paint on the car or the WHEELS, I had my local dealer screw up my wheels on my 04....the detail person used a red shop rag to wipe down my wheels dry, brake dust and all:mad:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, there's no con's, tell them to just do the mechanical prep/review and not clean the car. They should not have any issue with your request. Dealers have great intentions when they clean but their guys didn't get Zaino training. Also, where do some of these guys get their tire dressing, out of an oil drum? When you get your car I'd recommend going over it with detailing clay. Mike

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This can be a Dealer issue or a Plant issue, as the vehicles are buffed at the factory. Before you make a decision find out how the Dealer cleans the cars, if they do anything special with Vipers over other cars, and what types of products they use.