Slide-Loc Cabinets, any one using them?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I'll give an $0.02 here.

I have a couple of Gladiator Cadet wall cabinets in my garage for storing detailing supplies. Got them from Northern Tool. They were cheap, look good and match my garage decor, and all my other stuff is in my other garages. I have 3 garages. So I am in the cabinet lite group.

BUT...

I did look at everything, and in the business of industrial construction have experience seeing cheap stuff get destroyed.

Good quality cabinets are expensive. Everything I looked at was junk, but most store only have the Jr. lines out on display. Hence the Gladiator Cadet that I got. Even when you get to the better quality premium lines, I put their usefulness at stuff like storing gallon jugs, small jacks and stands, rebuilding water pumps and radios on the workbench etc.

In my field our workbenches are 1" thick steel with 4" pipe legs. Cabinets are about 800 pounds for a 48" wide x 6ft tall unit. And we've never replaced one.

Moral of all that is, evaluate what your needs are, and ensure the equipment will handle it. The link you posted looks like decent stuff for light to average home use.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, I have them. Simple, easy to put together. I only have the cabinets and they work well as cabinets but I would not consider these for heavy duty use. I store my waxes, polishes, towels, doo dads in them. I only purchased them because 3 years ago because a reseller was dumping his stock on ebay and I picked them up stupid cheap. But I would not pay full retail for them. I think for the money/quality they are over-priced.

For storage, light duty stuff, organizing the kids balls, toys, etc. even storing my 12 packs they're fine. But I can't see myself bolting a vise on their worktable and trying to to use a pulley puller without destroying the laminate. For the garage enthusiast they are fine. I built my own workbenches out of welded steel and steel plate top as I just don't like anything out there, at least anything outside of industrial scope.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Tony thanks for the feedback. I'm looking to buy some decent cabinets for the garage for the normal stuff like paints, 1/2 drive drills, saws, gauges etc. I probably would not want to load up one cabinet with too much stuff.

Maybe I am better off with Ulti-Mate or some else?

Thanks

Tim

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll be OK with these cabinets. I have power tools in one of them and shelves can handle weight, not sure what the limit is. I'll post up some pics for you tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960