Slightly Discouraged New Viper Owner

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not discouraged about the car, more so the reaction from the cops. I drove my 2002 GTS ACR home yesterday and it was a blast... I waited 15 long years to finally get this car.

This afternoon I decided to take it out and cruise around town. The first cop I see is going the other direction on the road and as soon as he saw me he started talking on his radio. About a minute later I see another cop tearing down the road behind me right up to me and starts tail gating. Of course I was obeying the speed limit the whole time. As soon as he realized I wasn't speeding, he blows past me and takes the first turn off the road.

Is this what I have to look forward to when I'm driving my Viper?

Anyway, I couldn't be happier to finally have my car and to join the Viper community!

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase and keeping the dream alive for 15 years! Maybe he was just admiring your new ride....Time to join the VCA and post some pics so we can see your cop magnet...

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
today I went out for a ride in my new 03 vert i just picked up. I had a cop follow me down a country road (corn on both sides as far as you can see) and he tailgated me tring to get me to go faster. after about 4 miles, he slamed on his brakes and just pulled a u-turn. he must have gotten board with me. anyways, be careful for those 5-0's. By the way, this happened to me in (Yorkville) the town next to plainfield, IL. I guess that the Yorkville cop has Viper envy from the town next door. Just look past the cop and enjoy the experiance. Congrats on the new car !

Scott

V

Venomiss

Welcome and keep driving!

Join the club and cruise with other Vipers.
Two words...radar detector.
Your experience will get better and prepare to answer all kinds of questions on your new ride. :D Be a a good ambassador for your Viper!:drive:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to stick your hand out and wave to the guy... he's no better than you. Just remember to smile and not tuck in your outer four fingers while you wave. :D

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After getting my ACR in April, the first time I took it out, I went on a drive with 2 Ferrari's and 2 Lambos. Right after we pulled out of the parking lot in Redwood Shores a CHP followed us. They do attract alot of attention.

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all cops have bad intentions when they follow you. I had one drive past me then cross the median just to follow my GTS for about three blocks. I decided to pull over too see what he wanted. Low and behold he just wanted to check out the ride. I was more than happy to show him the supercharger. So with that said when I see another exotic car I also look or sometimes even follow it. They just happen to be at work when they do it.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problems in my home town. The cops just look and nod but I am usualy driving lower than the speed limit.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving my Yellow RT/10 the other day and I ended up first at the stoplight next to the lady in a malibu who had been trying like crazy to get through traffic and ahead of everybody and had finally achieved her goal. I used the throttle my normal amount when the light turned green, which, of course, put me quite a few car lengths ahead of her, just because normal acceleration in a viper is so much more than normal acceleration in any other car. One thing I should mention here. While we were sitting at the light a motorcycle cop turned from the side street onto the road in front of us. So there was no way I was going to speed. She obviously didn't see him, or didn't think it mattered. As she was approaching my rear bumper (I was doing about 3 over and she must have been doing 15 over) I saw another cop parked on a side street pointing a device at us. He came flying out of the intersection so fast I thought he was going to T bone me and I braked hard. When he pulled out he came up behind us and pulled her over and completely ignored me. So glad he had Laser and knew who he was targeting. :)

So the cops aren't always out to get vipers. I would say that if a cop radios about your car, he is probably just telling his friends that he saw a nice car, just like you might do.

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulled over a few years ago by a cop outside the very small town of Rangely, Colorado for no reason. He apologized for the inconvenience and asked if I had a few minutes so he could check the car out, how fast it would go, etc. As I left, I asked him if he would like me to get on it. He said sure and I did a nice burn out and accelerated to about 100 with him waving to me and smiling. A lot of cops are car guys.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i better NEVER hear complaints about how loud my car is. my car isnt quiet, but it is a H3LL OF ALOT quieter than 99% of the harleys within a 100 mile radius of my house.

We hear ya, BIG----same here, our car IS loud, not overbearingly so, but those Harleys are ridiculous...why are they allowed to basically have NO mufflers???? The decibels are exceedingly so high, that even jet-boats have been banned near us, and they're NOwhere as loud as these Harleys. As PLUM said, welcome to the world of Vipers!!! Welcome also to the forums, and yeah---NEED radar detectors!! (No, they don't stop every cop who will just 'zap' someone when least expected, BUT they DO help!) ENJOY~~~juli

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll hopefully be sending in my VCA application today! Along with my Valentine One order :)

Actually, the more I thought about it, I don't blame the cops for being a bit suspicious. I was in a busy part of town near a school and skate park. After reading the DARE Viper story, I don't blame them for wanting to make sure no one is going 127 in a 35.

It's something I need to get used to, just like all the other attention I get from everyone else on the road. It's still hard to believe I have a Viper in my garage, every time I walk by the garage door in my hall, I have to open it and take a look at the new ride.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wigginz--Yeah, such a GREAT feeling, isn't it???? Can't get used to it myself, and love to just open up the kitchen door to the garage and just GAWK at our Viper!!!! So, welcome to the 'whiplash' effect of YOUR Viper when you take it out!!! Totally enjoy!!!
~juli~

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have only been followed by 5-0 once so far, all the way home......... he just wanted to check out the ride! :slomo:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get followed all the time, it kinda gets annoying but I just keep it at speed -when I need to:)

congrats on the Viper!

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, being a Cop and also a Viper owner I just cant help it and have to pull up behind every Viper I see on the road, and we dont see too many here in Quebec, Canada. Following a Viper is quite a sight, wide and mean looking with these fat tires. I rarely pull them over unless the driver did something stupid. I am more of the Ricer type, these are the one we should all be carefull of. I had a few incounters with Honda's, Acura's etc while I was driving my Vipers, they pull beside you, follow you close, cut you off just hoping your are going to floor it. That really ****** me off. Anyway back to the tread, a lot of Police officers are car guy's and when a nice car is in sight a lot of us are going to check it out.
Enjoy your new toy Wigginz
Stephen

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in my Younger days cops always followed when driving my Bricklin,240z etc.Now with my hair almost white they seem disappointed and don't stop me to suggest I purchase tickets to you name it as a safe driving measure.No bogus pull overs anymore.Last year I got a ticket.Locked in at 22 over while ******* the brakes and slowing down big time.Instant on should be outlawed.Best part of it is State Farm ins gives me senior citizen insurance rates...... GTS Bruce

FSTENUF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so far i have gotten a lot of heads to turn. but i waited a long time for what i have and feel it is worth every look be it the law or a bunch of young kids just checking it out. go out and have fun with it :2tu:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never really get followed. Police, when giving tickets, set up traps. They are either hiding, or writing tickets. End of story in NJ. Stay safe in the ACR.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First night of owning my Viper a cop pulled up to me at a red light and said "I need you to do a burn out". I had to have him repeat it several times to me, I was sure that my hearing was playing tricks on me.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I had a cop follow me at a range of maybe 2 feet for about 3 miles in the city, once. It was at night, and he was so close that I couldn't see his headlights. Serious a-hole.

Then I had a run-in with a cop near the Homestead NASCAR track. I live close to it, and for most of the year the roads around it are empty and they are perfect for flogging your car. Long, wide straightways and a few nice curvy roads for cornering fun. I was going maybe 15 over the speed limit and the cop pulled out of a side street. I was sure I was going to get a ticket so I started slowing down when he raced up next to me, rolled down his window and yelled, "IF YOU DON'T OPEN THAT THING UP YOU DON'T HAVE A HAIR ON YOUR ASS!"

We were on the main road approaching the track, which is about 2 miles long, perfectly flat and straight, so I gladly obliged. Dropped into 2nd and floored it, and the cop disappeared in the rear-view mirror.

Like every other profession, you have cops who are great guys and cops who are total **********.