SmarTire / V1 remote display mounting ideas?

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I just installed a new set of Kumhos and along with them a set of SmarTire sensors. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas on where to mount the remote display for my SmartTire System. I also figured if you have the remote display for your Valentine 1 in a good spot it would work for the SmarTire system too...

Please post picts if you got em!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the steering column shroud. It's very easy to see when you look at the gauges.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, I just installed a new set of Kumhos and along with them a set of SmarTire sensors. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas on where to mount the remote display for my SmartTire System. I also figured if you have the remote display for your Valentine 1 in a good spot it would work for the SmarTire system too...

Please post picts if you got em!

I'd go for the invisi mirror setup for the valentine 1:
You must be registered for see images

just my 2 cents!

http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/accessories/V1%20Display.htm

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The display in the rear view mirror is great, but where do you mount the radar and still get the front and rear coverage in a VIPER. They got it figured out for a BMW but not a VIPER.

Dean

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Er, have any of you looked at the pricing on the V1 mirror thing? They're like $9000. Seriously. About two years ago I wrote them and asked.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mounted the remote display for my radar detector in the left most A/C vent. It's easy to route the wires to it and cannot be seen from outside the car. It's easy to see while you're driving and doesn't hinder the function of the vent itself.

OP
OP
S

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, the V1 rear view thing is really slick! Thanks for the ideas. I like GaryA's idea of putting it in the A/C vent, but I don't think it will work for the SmarTire system because the SmarTire display has three buttons that are fun to play with... or maybe I just need skinnier fingers ;)

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I mounted the remote display for my radar detector in the left most A/C vent. It's easy to route the wires to it and cannot be seen from outside the car. It's easy to see while you're driving and doesn't hinder the function of the vent itself.

Where do you keep the place the base V1 unit? Detectors are "not recommended" ;) in VA and would love a totally stealth system.

Thanks - Charles.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a V1. Mine is the Beltronic remote system. The radar antenna is mounted behind the fascia and works fine there. The display unit is just narrow enough to fit in the A/C vent. It doesn't give me 360 degree coverage, but I've never gotten a ticket and is virtually undetectable. I live in MD and travel through VA a lot and that's why I went with this arrangement.

As far as laser protection goes, the Beltronic unit comes with two laser detectors (one for the front and one for the back) that plug into the same display unit. Usually, once you get a laser alarm, it's too late to do anything about it, so I don't even use them. I'm looking into the Blinder Laser jammer that seems to be a pretty good system for avoiding detection by laser.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Er, have any of you looked at the pricing on the V1 mirror thing? They're like $9000. Seriously. About two years ago I wrote them and asked.

Did you even bother to follow the link b4 posting????? $9000 where the **** did that number come from? They sell the remote unit already mounted in the mirror for $200.. not a bad deal at all i think. I don't think the mirror is BMW specific, otherwise you would have seen model #'s that it fit etc.. The only issue i see is that with an RT/10 with the lighting built into the mirror, then you'd have a problem.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary A.... I have as well done some research.... the nice thing about Blinder Laser jammer, it does not give the cops a jammer code ..... it gives the cops a too much light code. My local stereo shop sells it for $329.00 ....I think that is installed. They claim it is the best on the market. There web site is: www.blinder.dk It is a Scandinavian product. It is from the same part of the world as my Roe S/C (Autorotor).

Cudaman :usa:

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mounted my V1 in the pocket in the headliner, and put the remote in the ashtray. The ashtray needs a little cutting on the bottom to make the remote fit, but it does go in nicely, and the lid closes fine. I ran the power cord under the center tunnel, up the B Pillar, and over the headliner into the headliner pocket. Everything is totally hidden. I know that this blocks laser, but I live a few miles from DC and Virginia where detectors are illegal. I left enough cord so that I can still move the detector to above the mirror when I want. You can't see the detector at all.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you even bother to follow the link b4 posting????? $9000 where the **** did that number come from? They sell the remote unit already mounted in the mirror for $200.. not a bad deal at all i think. I don't think the mirror is BMW specific, otherwise you would have seen model #'s that it fit etc.. The only issue i see is that with an RT/10 with the lighting built into the mirror, then you'd have a problem.

No. Did you bother to read my post? I e-mailed them awhile back and $9000 was what they quoted. Obviously they've come down if they have a lower price posted on their website. At the time there were no prices, it was strictly "call for pricing".

Jesus, who crapped in your Wheaties?

OP
OP
S

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, I do have a V1 wiring tip for those of you with an RT/10. I velcroed the "direct-wire power adapter" to the back of my rearview and then tapped into the power wire going the mirror. This way it makes for a nice clean setup when you have your V1 attached to the windshield. All you have is the coiled power cord coming from the rear-view to the V1. Much better than running a wire all the way down to the lighter.

I think I will see if I can fit the SmarTire remote into the ashtray. The receiver does have an audio output jack so you can output the alert sound to the stereo. This way I will at least hear an alert even if i have the ashtray closed.

-Sean

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No. Did you bother to read my post? I e-mailed them awhile back and $9000 was what they quoted. Obviously they've come down if they have a lower price posted on their website. At the time there were no prices, it was strictly "call for pricing".

Jesus, who crapped in your Wheaties?

you gave em a price of 9k without bothering to read my post is why i asked.. course you missed that or else you would have realized that they were $200 "Seriously" as you put it.. btw, I've got a good deal on a bridge for ya.. :smirk:

Back to the post and realistic numbers.. There is another outfit that sells the tire monitoring system that integrates the air pressure readout into a module that is incorporated into the rear view mirror as well.. Might do a search on the internet. Looked pretty smooth 'cept for I don't think it would work well for RT/10 owners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte