Smog test results for 2009 Viper

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I bought my 09 Coupe out of State, I had to have a smog done to register it in California. Unfortunately, I live in an "enhanced" smog area which means they put the car on a dyno and test it at idle and 2500 rpm. This has got to be the most stringent smog standards in all of the USA, maybe the world. Now there is no reason to think a brand new Viper with 62 miles on the odometer would not pass smog, but I was suprised to see how low certain numbers were (considering there are 600 horses under the hood)

..........................%CO2....%02.......HC(PPM)............CO(%)
TEST........RPM......MEAS....MEAS...MAX..AVE..MEAS...MAX..AVE...MEAS
Idle_______520____14.20___1.9____100__17___0___1.0__0.00__0.00
2500rpm__2372____14.28___2.0____130__12___0___1.0__0.10__0.00

The car passed no problem, but it is good to see that it passed below the averages of other cars it is catagorized with. I'm no smog expert, but some of these numbers look pretty good to me. Just FYI for those that might be interested.

Cheers,
George

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen-IV has a very efficient clean motor (partially due to our VVT), so clean, that you can run LT headers w. cats and still pass emissions (here in lousy CA). Since I imported my car into CA, I also payed the emissions $$ tax $$ and had similar very low numbers.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to have mine smogged also, since I purchased from some place in Nebraska. The person who did the smog said the air coming out of the car was cleaner than what we are breathing outside :D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enhanced smog testing in Denver, CO, they run it on a dyno with idle tests, typical driving circuit tests, gas cap tests, visual inspections, etc. Not sure if the limits are lower in CA as opposed to CO, but sounds like we have to go through the exact same hoops here. I thought CA was suppose to be insanely tougher. Maybe not anymore!

BTW my 408 Stroker blown S351R ran cleaner than a brand new GT-500 Shelby so anything is possible. Viper did not get tested as it gets a 5 year exemption being an new vehicle purchase. New Vipers should be cleanas they are new.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently I have 5 years now til my next smog...let the modifications begin!!

I know that our cars still produce "some" pollutants. I'm not really concerned with the CO2 gasses as something like carbon monoxide.

In the old days, people have killed themselves or commited suicide in their cars while sitting in a garage with the engine running. Are these new "Ultra Low Emission" cars like a Honda even capable of that anymore? It would be an intersting "Mythbusters" episode.

1. Does your car kill you in a timely fashion?

2. Do you run out of gas first and get to live?

3. Or do you get hungry waiting to die and figure ordering a pizza is a better alternative?

Any smog experts out there really know how clean these newer cars are? About 4 years ago, I was at a lunch meeting with some Izusu engineers and they were boasting that their new Ultra Low Emissions car put out less C02 in a week of driving than the four of us expelled during our lunch together. (I guess there was lot of hot air at the table)

Cheers,
George

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's absolute highway robbery that California requires a smog check for a brand new vehicle purchased out of state. This is just another scam this state uses to milk people out of money. All new cars meet California emissions requirements.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know - I believe Herb mentioned the Gen 4 is certified low emissions so if they have special green plates pertaining to low emissions you can get one.

High HP and Low Emissions. God Bless America! What great engineers!

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's absolute highway robbery that California requires a smog check for a brand new vehicle purchased out of state. This is just another scam this state uses to milk people out of money. All new cars meet California emissions requirements.

I agree. Kalifornia *****! I had to SMOG my brand new 08 Viper because I bought it in Texas from Tomball. What a rip off. They got ya by the balls and they know it!

Flash

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960