Smoke damage!! m

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried to clear/remove the smell of smoke from a car??
I had a fire recently in my garage that blackened everything. I didn't lose much but the car stinks! My neighbor told me it was burning and I ran out there to find fire licking up the wall by my workbench... I dumped all my extinguishers and finished it off with a garden hose....
:aargh:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes! Well, the smoke is in everything fiber. Carpet and headliner, and possibly seat foam. Maybe take it to a place that can shampoo the carpets and just air it out really well. Febreeze the daylights out of it, clean every surface..hopefully that does the trick.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cleaned the hell out of it today and took it for a long drive to air it out. Seems a lot better but I still have to keep it in the stink box. Left it outside while I stripped out the damaged drywall, cleaned and spread fresh Kilz...

Had some old rags by my workbench that lit up when a lamp broke and fell on 'em. Could have been much worse!!!!!

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1 to what kcobean said.
Take it to a professional detailer who does interiors as well (some just focus on exteriors).

suggest you find one from autopia.org ... or at least ask the guys there, im sure they'd guide you in the right directions for which products to use and such

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cleaned the hell out of it today and took it for a long drive to air it out. Seems a lot better but I still have to keep it in the stink box. Left it outside while I stripped out the damaged drywall, cleaned and spread fresh Kilz...

Had some old rags by my workbench that lit up when a lamp broke and fell on 'em. Could have been much worse!!!!!

Wow, that was lucky. Sometimes, having neighbors is a good thing. ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pros will bring in a ozone machine. Should be covered by insurance. It breaks down the odors.

Takes time to get it all out, but the ozone is a good start.

Weekly Fabreeze should keep the smell away.

Then hang one of those classic christmas tree smelly things from your mirror ; >)

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Totally agree with the ozone machine. Those work like magic. Just don't leave it in there for weeks because they break down anything rubber.

V

Venomiss

After the Ozone machine you could try and leave a baking soda box or two(the kind for the refrigerator with mesh sides) in the car while it's parked.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spill beer in it and then park it in the sun with the windows up.

After about a day, the smoke smell will be masked, and you'll never want to drink again in your life.

Sorry to hear about your garage.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. Wonder if I can rent one of those ozone machines? .. never seen one. If all else fails I'll go with the beer idea :omg: Driving it after that will bring me back to my college days and a certain raggedy old Caprice I once knew...

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can vouch for the ozone machine as well. A fire in our shop filled the area with thick smoke. The fire department opened up the doors to the offce and extracted the smoke from the shop through the office (instead of opening up the 5 14' doors!!). The ozone maching took care of the office in 24 hours.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ozone is great. Along with the ozone I would buy that odor remover stuff from Meguires.....can't remember the name of it but it is in their professional line and we used to use it a lot when I worked in a detail shop when we had to de-smell a car that had been peed and pooped in----and btw *** and poop odor is some nasty stuff.:waiting:

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ozone machine worked wonders! The new (old) garage is completed too. You'd never know it happened now after only a few weeks. I'll be heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend. Gonna be a good one for a long cruise!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ozone machine worked wonders! The new (old) garage is completed too. You'd never know it happened now after only a few weeks. I'll be heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend. Gonna be a good one for a long cruise!!

Awesome. Are you joining us for the cruise tomorrow?