smoke out the exhaust....

BlackViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, there I was driving my car like I stole... same ole same ole... just showing a friend the car, went and parked it to go to a bar (I wasn't drinking, he was).

Anyways, 2 hours later I come out, start the car up and WOW was there a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust. It was oil smoke for one reason or another. It seemed to get better the longer I ran it and after 5 minutes it was gone. So, I drove it home (about 30 minutes away) and parked it for an hour and turned it on again, no smoke. Then I waited over night and turned it on again this morning, no smoke.

Can anyone explain to me what might have happened or if I still have a problem?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like coolant, did you get a chance smell if was like burnt oil or sweet smelling coolant steam or gas?

Sometimes when a head gasket goes, if the car was run and heated up, while it's sitting the coolant will dribble into the combustion chamber since it's under pressure. Yet, you say it was run again, and it didn't happen again which is puzzling.. A leaky injector can make some smoke too. First thing you can do is remove the spark plugs and compare them.

The other thing.. maybe some **** poured something down your tail pipe tips which sat in the muffler while it was parked, imagining it would be kind of hard to *** into them.. and it burned off, you never know what jealous people can do when leaving the car unattended.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... maybe some **** poured something down your tail pipe tips which sat in the muffler while it was parked, imagining it would be kind of hard to *** into them.. and it burned off, you never know what jealous people can do when leaving the car unattended.

my 1st thought :mad:

Sounds like coolant, did you get a chance smell if was like burnt oil or sweet smelling coolant steam or gas?

Sometimes when a head gasket goes....

my 2nd thought :omg:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"So, there I was driving my car like I stole... same ole same ole... just showing a friend the car..."

My guess is that you loaded the air box with oil (as is seen often on a road course with no "puke can")...so, on start up and drive, engine ingested some of this oil...remembering that systhetic oil often burns more white than blue.

Open air box to check.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If it is a Gen 2 car. Most likely you had some oil get into the intake manifold from the pcv system. Very common on the the 1996-2002 cars. If you are on the throttle hard and hit the brakes hard the oil in the pan gets thrown up into the front timing cover chain case and is sucked into the pcv system.
If the oil level is a little too high it makes it worse. If this happens often, we have a solution.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"So, there I was driving my car like I stole... same ole same ole... just showing a friend the car..."

My guess is that you loaded the air box with oil (as is seen often on a road course with no "puke can")...so, on start up and drive, engine ingested some of this oil...remembering that systhetic oil often burns more white than blue.

Open air box to check.

:bonker:

I agree with Steve. And no big deal.

:brick:

If it is a Gen 2 car. Most likely you had some oil get into the intake manifold from the pcv system. Very common on the the 1996-2002 cars. If you are on the throttle hard and hit the brakes hard the oil in the pan gets thrown up into the front timing cover chain case and is sucked into the pcv system.
If the oil level is a little too high it makes it worse. If this happens often, we have a solution.

:dead:
:stick:

:omg:

:slap:

:pile:

my 1st thought :mad:

my 2nd thought :omg:

:hahaup:

:(

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Open air box to check.

I'm leaning towards your suggestion.. more frequent smoke could be a bit of blow by or too much oil and the crank is whipping the oil into a mist.. but it sounds more like the oil could have accumulated and got sucked up into the PCV while on a high g joy ride... should have thought of that, dealt with it before on other cars... even the dang 'ol Chevy small blocks with a clogged drain hole in the head and oil accumulates around the valve stems, all sorts of stuff.. vacuum pump and catch can on a Hemi drag car that I built, etc.. must be getting old.. :smirk:

Cheers,
Mike