So tell me about the seat screws that can be taken out to allow more headroom?

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sat in one this morning and I need more headroom. I'm 6'0, 31" inseam and kind of spiky hair lol. Anyway I had read here that some screws and/or washers can be taken out to allow the seat to sit lower in the car, thereby creating an additional inch of headroom. Has anyone here done this?

The Viper is intimate inside for sure. Because of this the car has its limitations of who can fit in it.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year viper are you talking about? From what I know most people need to buy a seat lowering kit, either one inch or two inch.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the only bad thing about driving a Viper, get use to feeling like a canned Ham.:D

OP
OP
R

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year viper are you talking about? From what I know most people need to buy a seat lowering kit, either one inch or two inch.

2013-14's. I didn't know about seat lowering kits. I had read here that it was a couple of screws, spacers or washers that could be taken out?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AFAIK as of right now there is nothing you can do.

The 13 GTS models had spacers in them that could be removed.

Someone needs to build a lowering kit. I believe Edward commented the only real solution (right now) is to modify the seat which won't be easy.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what year is the important question. My understanding is 13's had spacers that could be removed. I need to look at doing this.

14's shipped with the spacers already removed.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6'4" and removed them on my 2013 GTS as soon as I got it Last April.

Move the seat fully forward and the seat fully up. Now with a flashlight put your head all the way down
on the floor board and look for an inch an a half tall Sliver hex nut spacer near the back of each rail. They are
not at the very end of the rail but up a bit. Take a crescent wrench and loosen the silver nut spacer.
Just break the torque and they will com off easy by hand.. its as simple as that.

OP
OP
R

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Move the seat fully forward and the seat fully up. Now with a flashlight put your head all the way down
on the floor board and look for an inch an a half tall Sliver hex nut spacer near the back of each rail. They are
not at the very end of the rail but up a bit. Take a crescent wrench and loosen the silver nut spacer.
Just break the torque and they will com off easy by hand.. its as simple as that.

Did that make a noticeable difference for you? Having sat in a 2013 with the seat all the way down I felt like I had to duck a bit in order to look out of the windshield.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a slight difference... I still have too slouch and hunker down a bit but it doesn't bother me as I will contort my body to fit no
matter how small ..Its a race car.. and Id rather it be tight than float aground like in the Vettes. To each his own I guess
Its a NON issue for me. Im more happy about taking the two hex nuts out and saving the weight LOL

cashcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm 6'-1" 210lbs I fit very comfy in my 2014 srt. what I did was move the seat forward 2 notches from full extension and then recline the seat back to the max. plenty of room. hope this helps!

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be missing something, but I fit just right and nothing is bothering me and I'm 6'5" 240lb when I drive the gen 5

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you sell your LE? I thought I saw it up eBay awhile ago

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great information. Are the spacers just in the rear or are their any in the front as well?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just drove my first GENV yesterday and noticed that compared with the GEN2 it's more cramped and has less headroom. I was shocked. I also noticed that the forward visibility is way less than the GEN2, again shocked. The seats in the GEN2 are lower and the windshield is taller. I thought the GENV was supposed to accommodate guys up to 6’7”? I don’t see how. I'm 6'1" and felt a little crammed in the GTS, headroom-wise. However, the TA seat was lower and gave me a little more room, similar to the GEN2, but barely.

Last edited:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the spacer and it did help a bit. 6'3" hear and I do look out the top 1/4 of the windshield. Definitely wouldn't mind the seat lowered a bit more. There must be an easy way to modify the seat rail. At least there is nothing under the seat that needs to be relocated like in the gen IV to do so.

OP
OP
R

Rated R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drove my first GENV yesterday and noticed that compared with the GEN2 it's more cramped and has less headroom. I was shocked. I also noticed that the forward visibility is way less than the GEN2, again shocked. The seats in the GEN2 are lower and the windshield is taller. I thought the GENV was supposed to accommodate guys up to 6’7”? I don’t see how. I'm 6'1" and felt a little crammed in the GTS, headroom-wise. However, the TA seat was lower and gave me a little more room, similar to the GEN2, but barely.

The car you drove, was it a 2013 GTS? Sounds like those are ones that have the spacers in the rails.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are actually stops for the seat and only located in the back. With the seat all the way forward and the seat back forward you can see the one the right side. Mine were actually loose. I could be wrong, but, I believe they were 13 mm, it takes less than 5 min a side to remove. As a side note, it is amazing how many bolt heads on these cars are either 10 or 13 mm.

great information. Are the spacers just in the rear or are their any in the front as well?

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compared to most cars, the Viper - regardless of Generation - has a lower roof line all the way around. I'm 6'1 and my Gen IV was hard to see out of the windshield until I found the sweet spot for pedal placement, seat position on the rails, and amount of seat back recline.

Once I did it was much better - but still not as good as my C7 for comparison. It's just the way the car was designed. But, I didn't buy it to watch birds fly overhead so it was just something to get used to. ;-)

The gen V - for me - is only slightly better, having driven a '14 SRT just recently. It felt the same to me as far as 'roominess' goes as my Gen IV and maybe slightly better than my son's Gen II '02 GTS. However, the Gen V was a little easier to enter and exit than my Gen IV and quite a bit easier than the Gen II - for me. Door shape and seat bolster size/design are the main reasons. But I love 'em all!

The 'get used to feeling like a can ham' comment is exactly right. These cars are focused driver's cars - you are basically strapping yourself into a nice seat for one purpose - to drive. You either like it or you don't. There are definitely roomier, easier to get in/out of, better visibility sports cars out there.

But there are also worse ones too. A Viper isn't right for everyone - there some concessions (or personality flaws, depending on your view) you have to accept to live with a snake.