So these complicated electronics in Gen 4s...

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That are preventing heavy mods---will those electronics probably be cracked so you can supercharge, etc. the Gen 4s? I think its pretty typical that when these new eletronics come out it takes awhile for the aftermarket to figure them out and adjust, but eventually it comes around.

That probably the case with the Gen 4s? Or is there something very peculiur about their electronics that just flat out resists heavy mods?

Thanks!

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it's the lack of "profit" they can make developing something that won't have many people bring something to market. There just isn't that many gen IV's to make money off of...

OP
OP
H

Homie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, Gen IIIs 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, no 2007s, and Gen IVs 2008, 2009 and 2010, so if I have that right just one less year for Gev IVs. Maybe there were alot less Gen IVs sold though?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The electronics on the Gen IV cars are a bit of a challenge, but the bottleneck in these engines is that they're pretty close to maxed out at 600 HP from a durability standpoint. With a Mopar PCM, and a few bolt-ons, you're probably good for 650-670 HP, and after that you really need to start getting into the internals or you're pushing the design envelope. Once you get to 700 HP, you need forged internals at a bare minimum.

The Gen I and Gen II engines (especially the forged ones) were pretty lightly loaded at 400-450 HP from the factory. There was a lot of room to add power without too much drama. The Gen IV engines already have what people spend $20k to a Gen I/II to obtain - and they come with a warranty. Out of the box, the Gen IV engines are already plenty in my opinion, and an extra easy 50 HP from exhaust/computer/intake mods is gravy.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That are preventing heavy mods---will those electronics probably be cracked so you can supercharge, etc. the Gen 4s? I think its pretty typical that when these new eletronics come out it takes awhile for the aftermarket to figure them out and adjust, but eventually it comes around.

That probably the case with the Gen 4s? Or is there something very peculiur about their electronics that just flat out resists heavy mods?

Thanks!

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the Venom Controller will be cracked on any major scale, primarily because the money just isn't there to have it done. It is only a 4-year controller, unlike the 10 year JTEC legacy controller. The economy has declined a bit, and manpower at those companies is also lacking. I wouldn't count on it.

There are already solutions. New computer systems have already been implemented on the Gen-4's. Motec has already been done, and we are in the process of outfitting a Pectel SQ6M12 equipped Twin Turbo Gen-4 with all of the bells and whistles. It can be done, it is just pricey. On that note, there are some MAJOR advantages of the aftermarket controllers that make them even more attractive once you get down to it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmm, Gen IIIs 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, no 2007s, and Gen IVs 2008, 2009 and 2010, so if I have that right just one less year for Gev IVs. Maybe there were alot less Gen IVs sold though?

2003-2006 uses a very similar controller to 1996-2002, hence why it got more attention.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The electronics on the Gen IV cars are a bit of a challenge, but the bottleneck in these engines is that they're pretty close to maxed out at 600 HP from a durability standpoint. With a Mopar PCM, and a few bolt-ons, you're probably good for 650-670 HP, and after that you really need to start getting into the internals or you're pushing the design envelope. Once you get to 700 HP, you need forged internals at a bare minimum.

The Gen I and Gen II engines (especially the forged ones) were pretty lightly loaded at 400-450 HP from the factory. There was a lot of room to add power without too much drama. The Gen IV engines already have what people spend $20k to a Gen I/II to obtain - and they come with a warranty. Out of the box, the Gen IV engines are already plenty in my opinion, and an extra easy 50 HP from exhaust/computer/intake mods is gravy.

The Gen-4 is no more bottle necked than the Gen-3 and late Gen-2 engine. In any of those cases, once you start getting in the 700-800+ range, you should be looking at upgrading the internals. If you go FI, even if its at that level, its still a good idea to change the parts. The Gen-4 internal components are fairly close to the other "creampuff" parts that are available in strength. It also does have the added capability of a better oiling system, and more refined intake track and heads resulting in better efficiency. Overall, it s just "closer" to the bottle neck than the LG2/G3 cars were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery