Socket for security lug nuts Cracked

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Purchased car Sept, first time remove wheels. The socket for the security/locking lug nuts has begun to crack and also looks like it has stripped some as well. It still fits onto a nut but any more use and it will crack completely apart.
I've asked the previous owner if he has any manufacture info, no response yet. The only identifying information is on the security lug nut, a number. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Edit, yes sorry added pictures thanks for the help

Attachments

• 100_3494.jpg
    100_3494.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3495.jpg
    100_3495.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3497.jpg
    100_3497.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_3498.jpg
    100_3498.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any ideas?
A. Make an assumption that it is the commom brand, McGard, take a picture of it, and email them to sell you another key.

B. Post a picture here, and maybe someone will recognize it.

C. Take it and the car down to Discount Tire, or some other good, volume tire store. Maybe they will recognize it, then email the manufacturer. Also, they have the "universal" tool to get your nuts off. :rolleyes: They deal with lost security lug nut "keys" all the time. Then just buy a new set.

D. Take it down to Autozone and other parts stores. and see if you can match/find the manufacturer

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all the above, you might consider McGard spline drive. Not cheap, but a different style of tool than I've seen before, as well as the tool is available separately.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also buy a tool from Sears that removes the locks. Kind of destroys them in the process though as you hammer it on the outside of the lock. I would take em off and replace them with regular lugs. Do you really leave your car unattended in an area where someone is going to steal your wheels? They only fit on a Viper after all.

Oh, one other thing, any one can buy the tool from Sears including thieves so the locks are really a false sense of security.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The last tire to be removed is the one with this problem. Excellent ideas, working on them now, didn't want to take the car off the jack stands if I can avoid it, as I had already put it away (plate/insurance changes made) for the winter.

OP
OP
R

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:
Tried locating the manufacture without success. Had a fellow put a brass sleeve on the socket, it was a tight fit so much so it also started to crack; it will never come off. But the threads are stripped enough that the sleeve held but the threads let it spin around.
So I mashed a socket over the lug nut and it came right off. Of coarse the future for the socket isn't bright but I got the wheel off :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang