Some beginner questions on hi-flow cats

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started modding my car, and I've decided the next step is high flow cats. I have some beginner questions though, any help would be appreciated:

1. Would they be bolt on, or would cutting / welding be required?

2. Are they 50 or 49-state emissions legal (In case I move and take my Viper with me)?

3. After how many miles, since new, will the stock cats start clogging up and decreasing performance?

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started modding my car, and I've decided the next step is high flow cats. I have some beginner questions though, any help would be appreciated:
1. Would they be bolt on, or would cutting / welding be required?
Cutting and welding will be required unless you are replacing the headers and cat back as well. Then it would just depend on the brand.
2. Are they 50 or 49-state emissions legal (In case I move and take my Viper with me)?
As far as I know, yes. I passed emissions without any problems with the high flow cats I installed.
3. After how many miles, since new, will the stock cats start clogging up and decreasing performance?
No clue.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,

Generally you want to weld the engine side of the cats. Not good to have extra air leaking in there from a non perfect clamp. Clamping or bolting the backside of the cats and catback exhaust is fine.