Somthing wrong with engine temps....

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well went out this morning and started the car up..Let her idle for a few minutes while i was trying to find some keys and came back to the car to see that my engine temp was well pass the red zone!!!!!

i immediatly turn off the 99 rt 10 viper and preceed to drive my truck instead..

come back home 9 hours later and start the Viper engine that was 100% cold.

as soon as i turned the car on not 1 second later the engine temp climbed back to the red zone..

Now this really puzzled me since the car was no were near warm what so ever. i got out and touched the running engine to see that every thing was colpletely kool to the touch.

ive had cars that over heat before and a cold engine usually needed a minute to actually get to really hot temps from a cold start. not only two seconds like my viper is doing..

So what can i do. im guessing the guage is malfunctioning. but Im still scared to drive it just in case their really is a problem.

Also I took my cats off a week ago and replaced them with straight pipes. I currently have a check engine light because I have yet to install my 02 simms.

Would this check engine light possibly have anything to do with the temp problem.

Thanks for any help. And were cani find a kooler thermostat. Figure i might as well change it if it's an easy do it your selfer..

Once again car is a 99 rt10

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind you have to take off the intake manifold to change the thermostat..

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st guess - air in the system. thermostat won't open if air is in the system. Burp it. my guess is that there is an 80% chance it is this.
2nd guess - water pump. 15% chance it is this. genII's are known to have this issue.
3rd guess - thermostat. possible, but not likely. 3% chance. don't bother with this until you've checked #1 for sure!

I leave the other 2% to the masses. But I highly doubt the gauge is the issue.

Good luck!

JD

PS - no relation between check-eng light and cooling issue.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what joe said.

dont forget, when checking your antifreeze levels, check BOTH tanks. one tank is located under the hood, passenger side, behind the rear wheel, look for the radiator cap. the other tank is in the nose, in front of the front wheel, hard to see, often forgotten.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had something identical happen and it turned out to be the temp sensor (not the gauge itself). Do a search under my screenname, and you'll see what part number you have to order. It wasn't expensive and took me about 5 min to change. The sensor is located near the waterneck and does not require the manifold to be removed. Good luck!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to do with the sender or guage.

No way is the car going to get that hot that fast.

Your check engine light is probably because of the cats.

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine also said most likely it was ait in the tube..

So exactly how do you BURP IT????/

Ill also search your name to see your thread..

Thanks for the help guys and please if anyone else has somthing to add help a brother out.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99% sure it's the sensor. Replace it and get a scanner for the code. I also have a 99, and when I took them out, it threw a code, but only once. I cleared it and it never came back, but I do run the Vec 2.