SOS for anyone in the Tampa, FL area

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine from Tennessee just flew down to Fort Myers, Florida to pick up a '97 GTS, but on the way back started overheating (260+) - the electric fans will not turn on. He is currently pulled off at a rest area around the Tampa area. If anyone can help Ted get in contact with a Dodge service center or assist in any other way, please contact him on his cel at 615-293-8269. Thanks in advance.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, thats horrible. Did he buy this form a dealer? Whats the story on the car? I would be on the phone to the dealer or private owner her purchased it from, W.T.F...

Wish I was in the area.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
I hope you were able to get a hold of Chuck "Viper Wizard".
Good luck with your car.
Please let us know the details.

X vetter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys at Autoquest will do the right thing, they're stand-up guys, I was with Ted this morning checking out the car...unfortunately I had to get to work so I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted. I just met Ted & his wife this morning so if anyone can help them out they are great people...

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is actually approximately 1/2 between Tampa and Bradenton at Sun City. He has contacted the dealership and they are sending out a flatbed to pick the car up.

Cudaman :usa:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****, but hopefully it's an easy fix and the Dealership takes care of it.

Let us know how it turns out!

X vetter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted would like everyone to know that Autoquest has picked up the car and will be taking care of whatever problem it might be. He asked me to relay his thanks to all who were concerned and he is on his way home, although sadly without that very clean b/w GTS...I'm sure he will keep all of us updated so we can at least better understand these awesome cars and the occasional hicups that come with em' :2tu:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a straight up, stand behind their product, dealer. Many individuals would have sold the car in "as is" condition and the buyer would have been stuck a long way from home. Happy things worked out.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a straight up, stand behind their product, dealer. Many individuals would have sold the car in "as is" condition and the buyer would have been stuck a long way from home. Happy things worked out.

Yeah, I liked hearing the end result here. Good for the dealer to stand up. And when it is fixed just call this guy and he will deliver it to your front door.
www.almondexotictransports.com Do a search for his name, Gary Almond, on any Viper site, you will be impressed.

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the follow ups, it's greatly appreciated. :2tu: Ted has a flight early in the morning back to Nashville. Hopefully, the issue will be a simple fix and he can get his Viper back soon. Thanks again!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He told me that he had a hard time talking to the towing company, as there were so many of us trying to call and help him!! He had everything under control. He appreciated all of the help offered.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car looks very clean for 20k miles. Hopefully its an easy fix such as a relay or something.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHEW!!!!! Just arrived home. I'd like to thank everyone that called to offer assistance. The car was sold "As-Is", but the owner of AutoQuest said they would definitely solve the problem. The flat-bed showed up about an hour after I decided to let them pick it up. They will call me Monday to give me an update on the issue. You can imagine all of the conversations I had with various people who walked over to gawk at the car and then listened to me explain my problems on the phone. One genious interrupted my conversation to inform me that I should let whoever I was talking to that I had electric fans?! "Ummm... yeah.... Thanks, BYE!" To top things all off, my phone was going dead, it felt like 110 outside, my wife was very upset(her parents are coming in tonight), and Tampa had no flights out to Nashville after 6pm. I guess I can laugh at the whole situation now. It could've been much worse.

I'm getting the compression checked also this week while the car is in Ft Meyers, due to the high temps.

I will say this, Tom, the salesman, and the owner of AutoQuest were very helpful and never said anything about not fixing the problem. The guy with the flatbed said he was told that after they had the problem fixed, they would have him deliver the car to my door on the flatbed. Of course, I'll have to somehow make sure that there are no problems before it gets sent up here.

Again, thank you guys very much for the calls. Sorry I was short on the phone. I know I had the towing guy on the phone and received 3 calls in the short time I was trying to give him directions.

Thanks to Dan for offering his residence for the weekend. I'm sure he had no clue about my priors for grand theft. :laugh:

Carlton was also a big help. He went to our house and made sure the animals had plenty of water and food. Not sure where my TV and beer has gone, though.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he was sitting in traffic, it's possible to go that high, but also the fan should kick in at high speed then too. Good luck and keeps us updated.

You're in Enterprise? I have alot of family in that area and New Brockton.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he was sitting in traffic, it's possible to go that high, but also the fan should kick in at high speed then too. Good luck and keeps us updated.

You're in Enterprise? I have alot of family in that area and New Brockton.
I am, New Brockton is just up the road. Don't know how much longer I'll be here, but hopefully thru X-Mas. :2tu: If you need any help at all, feel free to PM or email me.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of me picking it up at the dealer.

1421Viper_021_Medium_-med.jpg

1421Viper_020_Medium_-med.jpg

1421Viper_018_Medium_-med.jpg

Another cool car at the dealer:

1421Viper_026_Medium_-med.jpg

1421Viper_025_Medium_-med.jpg

1421Viper_023_Medium_-med.jpg

Pic of my car after about 100 miles or so:

1421Viper_038_Medium_-med.jpg

OP
OP

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carlton was also a big help. He went to our house and made sure the animals had plenty of water and food. Not sure where my TV and beer has gone, though.

Umm :confused: I think those items were already gone...yeah. :eek: Oh, by the way, since you have no use for it...can I have the remote the thief left behind?? *burp* :smirk:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I had thought I posted the aftermath, but I didn't.

They replaced the temp sending unit. They were going to pay and have the car shipped to me on an 8 car carrier, but I had the car shipped via an enclosed carrier and split the tab with AutoQuest. I've had the car for several weeks now with NO overtemp problems. I never had coolant boiling over, so I'm not even sure if the car was really running that hot to begin with.

The car has been a blast to drive. I'm looking forward to adding some miles to this car. It's way too much fun to leave in the garage. :laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukrunr