Sound deadening project

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK folks, I have my flame suit on, as I know lots of people will suspect me of heresy, but...

I installed sound deadening material on both sides of the steel bulkhead behind the seats on my SRT Vert, and it really makes a big reduction in road noise. Probably reduces it by 8 to 10db (a lot). The exhaust noise is OK, I kinda like that, but the tire howl on some surfaces is what I found objectionable. Now I can drive down the highway without turning up the radio, and that's even on rough concrete.

If anybody is interested, let me know and I can share the details.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Would like to here more details. My car is apart right now getting a new head unit, amp and speakers and a radar detector. I had them put some deadening material in the doors, didn't think about behind the seats.
Dave

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pics of the work in progress?
The bad thing would be that the rattles from the dash and the seat touching the bulkhead would be even more annoying...top up of course.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change all my tires to Michelin NON RUN Flats and there is a world of difference in noise. The car is a lot quieter, handles much better, and drives smoother.

Robbie

OP
OP
M

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well what I did was remove the panel behind the seats, and covered the steel bulkhead with "Damplifier pro" (from secondskinaudio.com). I also covered the back side of the plastic panel, and the back side of the bulkhead. To get access to the back side of the bulkhead, you need to remove the rear wheels, and the front side of the wheel well plastic panels (it sounds harder than it is, it's quite simple and easy, only need a phillips head screwdriver & 3/8 inch wrench). I also covered the front sections of the rear wheel well panel (the side that doesn't show), and the area behind the roll hoops.

Damplifier pro comes as sheets of material about 1/8 inch thick, and it consists of a butyl layer, covered with foil. The non-foil side is peel & stick, so the installation is really a matter of cutting & sticking. A small roller is helpful to getting it pressed down everywhere. The stuff is primarily intended to stop vibration, which the bulkhead does a lot of, and secondarily as a sound absorber. Because of this, you want it to adhere as much as possible.

There are many similar products, I only did a limited web search to find this stuff, so have no idea how it compares to competitive products.

As an aside, this stuff is pretty good for isolating heat, and can stand up to a lot of heat itself.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well what I did was remove the panel behind the seats, and covered the steel bulkhead with "Damplifier pro" (from secondskinaudio.com). I also covered the back side of the plastic panel, and the back side of the bulkhead. To get access to the back side of the bulkhead, you need to remove the rear wheels, and the front side of the wheel well plastic panels (it sounds harder than it is, it's quite simple and easy, only need a phillips head screwdriver & 3/8 inch wrench). I also covered the front sections of the rear wheel well panel (the side that doesn't show), and the area behind the roll hoops.

Damplifier pro comes as sheets of material about 1/8 inch thick, and it consists of a butyl layer, covered with foil. The non-foil side is peel & stick, so the installation is really a matter of cutting & sticking. A small roller is helpful to getting it pressed down everywhere. The stuff is primarily intended to stop vibration, which the bulkhead does a lot of, and secondarily as a sound absorber. Because of this, you want it to adhere as much as possible.

There are many similar products, I only did a limited web search to find this stuff, so have no idea how it compares to competitive products.

As an aside, this stuff is pretty good for isolating heat, and can stand up to a lot of heat itself.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Thanks, I may do that. I'd like to do something about the cabin heat as well.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)