Soundsystem Upgraded this Weekend in RT/10

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have posted for info, ideas, etc. in the past on possible stereo upgrades (I have a 94 RT/10). Most had replied that it would be tough to do much with the older RT/10 due to space and lack of tight airspace in the cab.

What I was looking for was to mainly increase the bass in my system (NO - I did and do not want that pounding 'rap' bass you find in the older Chevy Blazers
You must be registered for see images
). I wanted a full sound that could really crank if you want it too!

I am happy to report that I have gotten what I desired - here's how! I already had replaced the head unit (with a Sony CD) and the car had a couple of amplifiers in the back when I purchased it. Additionally, all of the stock speakers were replacements. With these improvements, I was still not happy with the sound. There was an almost total lack of bass (prob due to lack of speaker airspace as well as the loudness of the car). It just did not sound as good as it should have in my opinion.

Well, after quite a bit of research and asking questions, I decided to try the SAS Bazooka Tube. I had one installed in the passenger footwell and another in the trunk (both 8"). They are absolutely amazing!!! Now that my door and between the seat speakers do not have to worry about reproducing bass (READ distorting), the sound I have is fantastic. Even with the top off, the sound is just as great.

Another huge bonus about the tubes is that they are so easily removeable - simply push a button to remove 3 wires and unstrap the unit and it is out. With it in place, there is still plenty of room for passengers, though. My brother in law is 6'4" and he had no problem sitting there; but I am sure that for extended trips with a passenger, I will likely pull it out.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jon-Mike with an RT/10 - Now sounding as good as it looks and runs!!!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pics? I just can't visualize that tube not being a severe inconvenience.

Matt

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How costly was the procedure, time, and who did it. I was thinking about doing the same in my 95 RT but I can't even figure out how to remove the speaker cover. I am not very good with speakers and car audio, so I guess I would have to get someone to do it for me. Did you have to drill or cut on the floorboards or cut anything to route the wires?

OP
OP
J

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wanted a professional install - not too mechanically inclined! Barring having to buy a new head unit (which isn't a have to - but i wanted the CD player), I would imagine a cost of somewhere around $600 installed. Mine was less because I already had 2 amps.

I had it done at Circuit City - I would definitely just talk to them (wherever you go) before you commit. The guy that did mine assured me he had done 'exotic' cars before and would take his time. Those local car shops tend to want to do exorbitant systems (besides thinking you are rich) and try to go all out. For me, I wanted a comprimise - good system, value-priced.

There was no drilling - wires were run through existing grommet holes and under interior panels. Pretty cool to watch them do, but i would not have attempted it on my own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc