spark plugs.....getting these things out?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a spark plug wrench from Autozone to get my plugs out. Below is an example of what I bought, but I got the 5/8 socket wrench.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/10mm-F...3eTaxiPc3mTe34Pa38Ta38Pahb0?sc=2&category=193

I attempted to pull the first plug on the driver's side with no luck. I didn't want to apply too much pressure to it and break it. Any tips on getting the plugs out?

You need a spark plug socket, extension and ratchet. You can't apply a lot of torque to that T-handle widget. Don't worry about breaking the plug....worry about pulling the threads out with the plug. And if that's the case there is really nothing you can do about it until after the plug is out. You probably have nothing to worry about, just need bigger tools :D

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try a socket and ratchet with a little more leverage to break it loose then use your tool.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
* Engine cold

* Pull wires

* Clean plug recess area with compressed air

* Spray good quality penetrating oil a day ahead. Don't go crazy with it, a dab will do. Keep penetrating oil off wires!

* Good tools!

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have purchased the exact same spark plug wrench i recently used to pull and replace my plugs. A standard socket and ratchet did not work for me on many of the difficult to get to plugs. This flexible hand socket worked very well for me. I was able to apply sufficient torque to get them all out relatively easily. If yours are over tightened, you may need the ratchet with multiple length extensions to get them out. Good luck.
Pavenom RT/10

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but I didn't want to pay $60 for that extension piece that you suggested, and I was at autozone and saw this so I thought I would give it a shot for $5. Maybe I will try applying some more pressure this weekend and see if I can get them loose. I do have a torque wrench, but it is too big to get to the plugs, I also tried a rachet, but again it was too big.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
* Engine cold

* Pull wires

* Clean plug recess area with compressed air

* Spray good quality penetrating oil a day ahead. Don't go crazy with it, a dab will do. Keep penetrating oil off wires!

* Good tools!

+1 Couldn't have said it better

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but I didn't want to pay $60 for that extension piece that you suggested, and I was at autozone and saw this so I thought I would give it a shot for $5. Maybe I will try applying some more pressure this weekend and see if I can get them loose. I do have a torque wrench, but it is too big to get to the plugs, I also tried a rachet, but again it was too big.

Mine was the $7 Harbor Freight piece ;) not the $60 (however if mine dies, the $60 is worth it to me)
A basic 3/8 drive ratchet, a 6" 3/8 extension and a spark plug socket will work on most of the plugs. For lack of a tool like I have get a wobble extension.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can NEVER pay too much for the correct tools. Going the cheap way is never cheap!!! You just spent $5.00 on agarbage tool. Buy the good ones first since you will use them again.:D I don't see how guys can afford a Viper and then not the fuel or the tools or techs to work on them?? I don't get it?:dunno: Good luck spark plugs aren't hard to change.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can NEVER pay too much for the correct tools. Going the cheap way is never cheap!!! You just spent $5.00 on agarbage tool. Buy the good ones first since you will use them again.:D I don't see how guys can afford a Viper and then not the fuel or the tools or techs to work on them?? I don't get it?:dunno: Good luck spark plugs aren't hard to change.

Amen Ray!. :2tu: What, you spent every last dime on the car? :nono: Your bad. :lmao:

:eater:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled my plugs last night and replaced with Autolite Fusion All the plugs looked good with just normal color. Always use a light coat of plug lube and torque to 20 ft pounds. Clean the tube before removing with air. Like most things on a Viper hard to get to. I found the wires harder to pull than the plugs.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled my plugs last night and replaced with Autolite Fusion All the plugs looked good with just normal color. Always use a light coat of plug lube and torque to 20 ft pounds. Clean the tube before removing with air. Like most things on a Viper hard to get to. I found the wires harder to pull than the plugs.

What are you calling "plug lube?"

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cop Magnet,
I could use the torque wrench to remove them or even a rachet...but I do not have the right extension peice to use to get to the plugs. Why?

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought that exact tool. Didn't work for me.

I eneded up just using a good socket and palyed around with different extensions to fit my wrench on some of the more difficult to get to plugs.

I don't know how anyone could use that tool! I almost threw it away. But I kept it just in case I need it for a different vehicle.

Didn't put antiseize though! Maybe I should have?

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe i was lucky but the $5 Autozone flexible socket worked great for me. I was able to reach all the plugs and easily remove and replace them. I also second using the compressed air as i was amazed at the amount of gravel that lodged in the plug recess holes surrounding the plugs. Previous owner must have driven it in a gravel pit.
Pavenom RT/10

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PAvenomRT/10,
How much pressure did you apply when you removed the plugs with that tool? I didn't apply too much because I didn't want to break something, but maybe I wasn't applying enough.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see the Viper as one of the easiest cars on the road to work on. My first thought when I bought my 1st one was 'Dang, this thing is built for racing" the Valve cover bolts are all visible. Same as the spark plugs. All the injectors. Exhaust comes off fast. Easy to align all 4. No crossmembers under oil pan.Easily change the clutch. Everything is right there!! I am an auto tech and as far as getting the plug wires off easily It's still called having the correct tools for the job. I have lug wire removers that pull the boot from the bottom. Same as it's hard to build a house with a ballpean hammer. :D Look under the hood of a Ford truck with 5.4 to see fun changing plugs, LOL.:2tu: Oh, antiseige on the threads of the plugs is definitely a must, keep it off the electrode though.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was the $7 Harbor Freight piece ;) not the $60 (however if mine dies, the $60 is worth it to me)
A basic 3/8 drive ratchet, a 6" 3/8 extension and a spark plug socket will work on most of the plugs. For lack of a tool like I have get a wobble extension.

You can actually get an 18" extension to work on all the plugs and it gets the hands out of harms way.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not us the torque wrench to REMOVE the plugs. Extensions ar your friend for removing plugs.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I have been told when you are not using your torque wrench it should be set to "0". Never knew this myself..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I have been told when you are not using your torque wrench it should be set to "0". Never knew this myself..

Not "0" per se but whatever the minimum setting is. None of my Proto's go to "0" but something like "20" or "30."

This keeps tension off the internal spring which keeps it from taking a permanent set which keeps it from affecting torque values.

Great comment though, as we can learn anything here.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right Dave, you can tell I haven't looked at my torque wrenches in a while....

I never knew this until Doug (DLM) told me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala