Spark Plugs

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brendan B - 93 RT:
What kind of spark plugs would I need? I have a '93. I was wondering about brand, and about whether or not to get the double and triple fire plugs or just a single fire? Experiences? Plugs don't have to be for performance, but performance is always better.
Thanks,
Brendan B - 93 RT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would recommend staying with the same plugs from the factory. I have not seen any evidence thus far that would support using any other plugs than those that originally came with the car. Of course the exception would be to nitrous and blower cars. They would require different temperature and projection plugs.

USE --
&gt;Champion RC12LYC gap at .035"
&gt;use a light amount of anti-seize on the threads.
&gt;use dielectric grease on the wire boots.

Regards,
Doug
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Doug,
On my stroker (550 cubic in, 10.2:1 compression, flowed heads, King Snake intake with long runner tubes, headers, etc.) I run soooo rich I've got raw fuel dripping out my exhaust (no cats or mufflers in road race set-up). I was thinking of a ignition upgrade (custom MSD system) to increase the spark (both energy and duration) and give me timing adjustability. I'd have to either experiment or find someone with experience (maybe you?) to help me fine tune timing and get the right plugs. I'd be interested in your thoughts. By the way, this system has three programmable set points so I could tune for track, street and nitrous.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Ellison -Austin, TX:
Doug,
On my stroker (550 cubic in, 10.2:1 compression, flowed heads, King Snake intake with long runner tubes, headers, etc.) I run soooo rich I've got raw fuel dripping out my exhaust (no cats or mufflers in road race set-up). I was thinking of a ignition upgrade (custom MSD system) to increase the spark (both energy and duration) and give me timing adjustability. I'd have to either experiment or find someone with experience (maybe you?) to help me fine tune timing and get the right plugs. I'd be interested in your thoughts. By the way, this system has three programmable set points so I could tune for track, street and nitrous.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jeff --
At the present time, I am working on more computer adjust ability that will most certainly help those who wish to change ignition parameters for their requirements. The computer will allow ignition amplification or timing retard on nitrous, high compression engines, and States that have lower octane fuel. The computer eliminates detonation (pinging or knock). I also have a knock sensor to warn the driver if detonation is present. I have these computers being tested in a handful of cars and the results are astonishing. A 100% success for it's intended purpose. But please hang in there -- soon I'll have them for anyone.

Your car:
Jeff, the problem you are having may not be directly related to the ignition system. I'm not sure on your intake, cam, injectors/fuel system or spark plugs
you are using.

Your intake is a long runner intake, but can you determine if you car runs rich MORE at idle? Too much cam overlap at idle can actually pull fuel from other cylinders through the intake. I may discount that idea with the longer runners though.

Are you running bigger injectors? Without the ability to adjust the fuel parameters will cause poor combustion .... rich/lean or power loss.

Spark plugs:
I can bet with the higher compression engine you are running a much colder spark plug. The problem with too cold of a spark plug, they foul on the street and than poor combustion is inevitable. I'm working on a cure for that one.

Too rich:
Too rich of a mixture will kill an engine!

"Fuel dumping" can cause "cylinder wash."... Too much fuel in the combustion chamber will wash the lubricants from the cylinder walls and cause catastrophic engine damage. EGT's or (exhaust gas temperatures) can "sky rocket" from raw fuel flooding the exhaust port then burning like a "wild fire."

Good luck with your car!
Doug