spark plugs

Reaction score
I have been looking for a colder plug than the stock champion 412. I hear they dont make one. Anyone know of a plug for nitrous from another company that may be colder.

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Albert,

I've got an Autolite #5224 in my 2000 GTS with NOS. This plug is 1 heat range colder than stock, and I've had no detonation problems. NGK makes plugs several heat ranges colder than stock as well. You can call their 1-800 number and talk to someone who will be able to reference the correct part #'s. In my experience, calling your local parts dealer and asking for a colder plug for a Viper will get you nowhere, since they don't know how to reference by heat range.

Ben.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having a bunch of work done on my 94 RT all at the same time and now seeing your post it's got me a little concerned. I am having BTR Viper's nitrous installed as well as a new "guinea pig" exhaust system from Job B. On top of that I picked up a new set of the Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs. I don't know if these are a good plug to go with the Nitrous, I hadn't actually thought of that. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Jim,

I've heard about this incompatibility several times here on the board but no one has explained further. Can you elaborate on why the platinum plugs are incompatible with Vipers? What is unique to a Viper electronically vs. any other Dodge product?

Thanks</FONT f>

Reaction score
I honestly don't have a answer for you. My Viper tech cautioned me not to use Platinum plugs and it has been the consensus on this board. The only drawback I'm aware of is that platinum plugs should not be cleaned and are more expensive. Perhaps someone els could help us here. (JD)

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Heres the scoop, Doug Levin emailed me with some NGK plugs and so far so good. Im spraying a big shot. Making over 700 to the tires and 835 foot pounds of torque. The stock champion plugs dont work. They get so hot Ive been cracking the porcelain. I havent tried the autolites yet, the NGK's are holding up.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Chlouber:
Heres the scoop, Doug Levin emailed me with some NGK plugs and so far so good. Im spraying a big shot. Making over 700 to the tires and 835 foot pounds of torque. The stock champion plugs dont work. They get so hot Ive been cracking the porcelain. I havent tried the autolites yet, the NGK's are holding up.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Albert,
Those are some great HP #'s. We use the NX system on some of our nitrous cars.
Keep in mind (I'm sure you know) the system does deplete fuel from the fuel injection rails which causes inadequate fuel delivery and promotes detonation.
We have a unit "built for the Viper" that will allow you to bump-up your fuel pressure on the factory pump. You can easily recover 5 - 7 lbs. of pressure. The unit also helps to atomize your nitrous/fuel ratio and is adjustable for lower bottle pressures.

The factory fuel pressure is 54 - 55 psi at the fuel rail. This means the factory injectors see about 43 psi. You need to tap a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel rail and see if you have a pressure drop while spraying nitrous.

Our unit takes about an hour to install. I can send you one to try and if you don't like it you may send it back for a full refund. Also, we are working on a unit that will retard timing proportionally to the amount of retard rq'd.

Regards,
Doug Levin
Doug Levin Motorsports (305) 249-RACE

Reaction score
For those who are thinking of using Platinum Spark Plugs, I will try to answer your question: "why should we NOT use Platenum spark plugs in our Vipres". My Viper Tech provided the following explination: "Platinum Spark Plugs have a higher resistence than standard type plugs (a standard type being specified for the Viper). The use of Platinum spark plugs can overheat the primary windings in the coil pack leading to ignition failure."

It is my understanding that Platinum plugs should only be used on ignition systems that are speciffically designed for such application or subsiquent dammage may result.

I admit I don't know much about this topic. I have saught to provide accurate information on short notice, in hopes of not spreading mis-information. Your question was a very good one, and deserved a accurate answer. If anyone els wants to add somthing.........(JD)

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly am no expert either, but I'm not sure your Viper tech's explanation makes sense. Every stat I have read on the Platinum plug, especially the Bosch 4+, is that it actually fires more easily requiring less pulse from the electronics. This is apparently why older cars or cars with worn ignition get a boost from using these plugs, because there is less misfiring. I could suspect detonation but I would like an explanation of why there would be more detonation with this plug than with others.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Yup, Ive done my homework also. I realized that there was this problem months ago and have been working on it since.Everytime I brought up the fuel problem issue, with the people who worked on my car, they said that wasnt the problem. I fixed the fuel problem and my torque is crazy now. It is a big problem !! I would really like some kind of timing retard if you get that working.thanks

Albert

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Platinum is a pretty poor electrical conductor. People make plugs from it because it does not degrade over time as much as other materials. So old Platinum plugs perform better than other types of old plugs. I have never heard of new Platinum plugs performing better than other new plugs. They are designed for the "no tune ups for 70,000 miles" type of car.