Spider gears

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone else here had problems with spider gears?I just had a set replaced about a week and a half ago,now this new set is gone too.Any suggestions would be great,tia.
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

OP
OP
S

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tony,the initial problem was when I took it to my mechanic,and after he dropped the rear-end and opened it,there where a few teeth sitting at the magnetic drain plug.right now,the car seems to be making the same kind of noise from the rear end like the first time.There for I'm assuming that it's the same prob.I would be willing to bet that it is too.
frown.gif
pissed.gif

OP
OP
S

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh,forgot to mention that every time that I make a sharp turn(at slow speeds,and going slow),there's a clunking sound coming from the rear-end.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you broke a few teeth again.

Top three ways to break Viper spyder gears.

1. From a roll in 2 or 3 gear push in clutch,increase rpm and
pop the clutch.

2. Powershift when the rear suspension is under full load ie.
hitting a dip in the road.

3. Popping the clutch or changing gears while exiting but still
in the turn. (this one can and should be avoided)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To replace the gears.....Unitrax can help you out, I think their kit includes everything inside the carrier. i.e. clutches, shaft,gears but i'm not 100% sure. What I did was order the complete Mopar performance carrier from my local dodge dealer and took all the guts out of it and put in mine. The mp carrier is for 1/2 inch ring gear bolts. Stock is 3/8 bolts so you would have to get a new gear and re...set up the gear in the housing to use the carrier, but the internals are the same. My dealer gives me a great price and there is no shipping charge and I now have a spare big bolt carrier if ever needed. Seems like Unitrax was in the $225 range for internals and dealer cost is about $190 on the complete carrier......get the dealer to sell it at 10-20% over cost and you will come out better. If yu can't get a dealer to work with you let me know. Also, Serpent what was replaced the first time ? A single gear or all four or??

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding Dealers who discount parts to VCA members, the answer is simple.

Tator's Dodge!

Tomer

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the clunking at sharp turns from the diff, perhaps they forgot to put in the anti-friction additive. Check your receipt and see if you were billed for it.