Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
28,000 and 48 ....many of those miles are 1/4 mile at a time. :2tu:

Cudaman :usa:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
53 next week--44,000 miles. 6 month season. Up until last year, I was driving 40,000 miles a year getting to and from work. In addition to work and the Viper, I probably drove another 10,000 per year in other vehicles. I think the initial hypothesis is inverted. The older you are, the more free time you have to drive the car. When you are raising kids there is/should be much less time for a 2 seat vehicle.

Young---no kids. Absolutely no excuse not to rack up the miles
Young--kids. Much less time to drive the car
Older---no kids/grown kids. Rack up the miles!

We are in the latter category with grown kids and enjoy every minute/mile in the car!

Steve

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve:

(and others) several good points.

a. The length of the driving season favors southern California and most of Florida. Here in Atlanta, it is rare when you could not drive. Top down weather may disappear for a couple of months, but there is rarely snow.

b. Children limit the amount of available two seated driving. Indeed, I want to buy my husband a 911, and the small size of the back seat seems to be the deal breaker.

c. But also there is the nature of expectancy to drive. Some never planned on the car as a daily commuter, others demand that it be so or why buy it, and still others feel that it is a negative experience to drive in heavy traffic.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1200 {3 months} @ 45 , 14000 {1 year} @ 35 and would have been 100,000 miles{1 year} if the car was there @ 25 :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike:

Hmmm, can we extropolat that if you, therefore, had owned the car at 15, you would have lived in it?

I can see that. Makes sense.

But, yes, that was my point. It is likely curvilinear...very young and childless, you have a great deal of time. Then come 18+ years of child rearing, followed by empty nest and more time once again. This is then followed by losses....hair, teeth, vision, hearing, coordination, bladder control, and mobility.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice, absolutely a non valid calulation. Age will not equal mileage unless number of vehicles is considered. Eliminate non diven (museum quality) cars and then list driven vehicles with your formula. I.E.

2003 SRT 10
1997 GTS
2002 M5

This example takes into considertion a multple Viper owner who has a daily driver. THEN calculate age versus combined mileage, must be single driver who drives all cars, significant or insignificant others or other family drivers do not apply. They have to have additional cars. Your original formula fails beacuse very few Viper owners drive only the Viper, they not only own multiple Vipers but pretty significant daily drivers.

Yeah, UM, yep, Lee you ****! Congrats. You are lucky indeed! With a 4 yr old and 14mo old I still need a car that can have 2 baby seats and room for all the stuff that goes with them. :)

Nice cars!

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob:

Actually vehicle size needs merely increase because as the kids grow, you need room for back packs, friends, projects to and from school...more friends...athletic gear, musical instruments (ideally not a Tuba)...more friends...camping gear.

Car seats were a breeze.

An SRT-10 SUV would be helpful.

I think there is a more emotional aspect about SRT-10 ownership when you have children and that is scheduling which one rides in the Viper at which time.

So locale, age, children, distance to work, and presence of other vehicles impact miles driven.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does it matter?Would you turn down a restored Bugatti,Ferrari America,Hemi Cuda because it had high mileage?Its a car and not a person.Everything can be kept or restored in better than new shape. GTS Bruce

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly try to drive it as much as I can, but it seems I usually only have enough time to take it out on the weekends. So, I'd venture to guess 300 miles or less per month. Oh, and I'm 25 years young.

Cheers,
-Justyn

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice, I hate to say this but your hypothesis is flawed. My 50th birthday was last week and my 03 SRT has 32,000 miles. My 2000 Yukon XL has 90,000 miles and my new 300C which is 2 months old has about 2000. Plans for this year in the Viper include back up Highway One to Seattle and maybe another cross country drive to the Midwest and of course a few stops in Telluride for the Wine tasting weekend and Blues and Brews festival. Bob

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it but some of these forum topics are getting a little off base!!!!!

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One poster said that if all factors are equal, the mileage of a vehicle determines its resale value.

Additionally, when buying a used SRT, mileage is among the first factors considered.

When owning an SRT, one balances between the extreme of "using it up" with minimal concern for resale to the other extreme of "winterizing it" and keeping it sealed and preserved for the next owner.

Young owners appear to have more time to drive and more of a future. Depreciation concerns may be minimal.

Those in their senior years have paid their dues and want to reap the benefits and drive their SRTs as much as possible.

Those in between often must deal with family and career concerns as a balancing factor to driving.

I think this is as good a topic; 46 posts in response puts the topic quite high on the list of interests, but I can certainly understand how some would not be interested in it.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A secondary or even tertiary concern regarding annual mileage is insurance. Most insurance companies base annual policy premium on annual miles driven. I told my insurance company I would drive the Viper 5000 miles or less per year. That got me a significant discount.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John:

Excellent point. When you consider the annual costs of a Viper, you must include the cost to insure.

I too assured them of restricted mileage, and, indeed, my policy states that I cannot drive the vehicle to the office.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but some of these forum topics are getting a little off base!!!!!
Not to the 46 others who have replied here...