Spinning the damper on a gen II Viper.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I recently turned a viper away due to time constraints that needed some work done. Some local shop did the work and some how managed to spin the damper on the crank. The guys working on the car apparently thought it was no big deal based off what the customer told me later on. Just shaking my head. I don't think it's common for the damper to spin on the crank but was there a year for this happening more so than others? I though it was on the 2000 models. Might be wrong.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened on my '01. When I replaced it, I pinned it with a Roe kit so I'd never have to worry about it again. The good news is that the crankshaft is very hard and the damper is relatively soft, so damage is not too likely. There can be some transfer of material from the damper to the crank from the heat though, and it's a bear to clean up. The damper is a controlled item, so Dodge will ask for a VIN when ordering a new one, not sure why.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened on my '01. When I replaced it, I pinned it with a Roe kit so I'd never have to worry about it again. The good news is that the crankshaft is very hard and the damper is relatively soft, so damage is not too likely. There can be some transfer of material from the damper to the crank from the heat though, and it's a bear to clean up. The damper is a controlled item, so Dodge will ask for a VIN when ordering a new one, not sure why.

That was a while ago Kelly 4/07 and you have had no problems since! :cool:
No VIN# needed anymore and I keep the damper & bolt in stock! 914-763-3136

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '01 was about to do it. The crank bolt came off with very little effort while I was pulling the timing chain cover. Just finished drilling for the Roe pin kit.

Reaction score
Adam,

I can repair just about any spun damper crank. And this is IN THE CAR!
There is no need to replace the crankshaft as per the typical repair needed to get the harmonic balancer to stay in place. Let me know if I can help!

Best regards,
Doug :usa:

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Doug, Yep I sure know you can repair the crank and key it too! I will mention it to the guy who owns the Viper. I am just busy with starting up a new business right now and he called me to tell me about it not knowing it can be serious. The guys he took it too I think are the same people who installed wires on another Gen I car and did it wrong which almost resulted in a fire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456