Sport Compact Car "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" ==> I'm in........

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Sport Compact Car

Paolo, congrats I'll probably hit the track one day and visit you. As to tire choice I think Hoosier 3RS03s are the choice. Email PMUM and talk to him about it, he'll give ya good tips.

SoCal, Give me your # and I will call you when I get there. Maybe we can go for a ride on the freeway after the test to blow out the exhaust from not going 200 for a couple of days!

I have emailed PMUM several times to the email listed for him on this board. I have not heard back from him yet. If you could get him to email me, I would appreciate it! I will check into the tires. How do they compare to the Pilot cup sports?

Paolo I'm meeting Paul tonight, I'll tell him to email you, I'll also email you my # soon.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JGK, I would like to think you are right, it is never a good thing to underestimate your competition. I think that the twin turbo NSX, BMW powered Ultima GTR(2500# kit car), and the Skyline GT-R are going to be very hard to beat when you consider the parameters of the test. There are probably several other sleeper asp kickers in the mix. I will have to do my best in preparation and driving to win this competition as well as having good luck because anyting can happen and usually does.

The Skyline will only be hard to beat if they put it down at a base price of $34K or whatever they did last year instead of the $90K or so that it actually costs to buy one in the states.

--- Ken

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,

Your'e correct to be humble as to not underestimate the field, HOWEVER, KenH puts the Hammer down. As a result I'm going to sell my imaginary Skyline and BUY the state of West Virginia and possibley walk away with some change too!

LOL!

Jay K.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Skyline is not the only 1/4 mile threat in the field the MR2 supposedly runs high 10's. The last thing you want to do is under estimate the field.

For the Grany test are you allowed to change anything? Perhaps dropping the tire pressure to 25 psi, would be the edge you need for a smoother ride. Not to mention shifting from 1st to 4th every time to keep the noise down.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, congrats I'll probably hit the track one day and visit you. As to tire choice I think Hoosier 3RS03s are the choice. Email PMUM and talk to him about it, he'll give ya good tips.

SoCal, Give me your # and I will call you when I get there. Maybe we can go for a ride on the freeway after the test to blow out the exhaust from not going 200 for a couple of days!

I have emailed PMUM several times to the email listed for him on this board. I have not heard back from him yet. If you could get him to email me, I would appreciate it! I will check into the tires. How do they compare to the Pilot cup sports?

Paolo I'm meeting Paul tonight, I'll tell him to email you, I'll also email you my # soon.

Ron, Thanks for the help! I will surely be talking to you soon!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JGK, I would like to think you are right, it is never a good thing to underestimate your competition. I think that the twin turbo NSX, BMW powered Ultima GTR(2500# kit car), and the Skyline GT-R are going to be very hard to beat when you consider the parameters of the test. There are probably several other sleeper asp kickers in the mix. I will have to do my best in preparation and driving to win this competition as well as having good luck because anyting can happen and usually does.

The Skyline will only be hard to beat if they put it down at a base price of $34K or whatever they did last year instead of the $90K or so that it actually costs to buy one in the states.

--- Ken

Ken, you are right, I did not even notice they had it listed at 35K for last year!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,

Your'e correct to be humble as to not underestimate the field, HOWEVER, KenH puts the Hammer down. As a result I'm going to sell my imaginary Skyline and BUY the state of West Virginia and possibley walk away with some change too!

LOL!

Jay K.

Jay, the more I look at those cars, the more I am beginning to think this year's lineup is tougher than last year's........

I will just stick to my plan and be a competitor in every sense of the word.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Skyline is not the only 1/4 mile threat in the field the MR2 supposedly runs high 10's. The last thing you want to do is under estimate the field.

For the Grany test are you allowed to change anything? Perhaps dropping the tire pressure to 25 psi, would be the edge you need for a smoother ride. Not to mention shifting from 1st to 4th every time to keep the noise down.

Russ, I think the ride is not so rough like people imagine. Dropping the pressure to 25 PSI might not be a bad idea! I also have some other ideas about how to maximize my points for the Grandma test.

As far as the 1/4 mile is concerned, I believe the only points are for ET, not MPH. I wish they would do a standing mile! :D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Paolo!! I know you really wanted to get in this competition, and we all know you are up to the task of representing the Viper World!! :usa:
Best of luck! And please no Detuning! LOL :shocked: Give it all you got like always!! And scare the sh$t out of all of them!
What's do you have up your sleave for the "Gross Display of HP?"

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,

I always read your posts, as you seem to have a very clear knowledge of your car, the dynamics of racing and a bottomless pit of racing aggressiveness. Seems to me that you will represent the Viper group better than most of us ever could. Congrats and drive fast AND safe...keep those posts coming.

CStegall

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Paolo!! I know you really wanted to get in this competition, and we all know you are up to the task of representing the Viper World!! :usa:
Best of luck! And please no Detuning! LOL :shocked: Give it all you got like always!! And scare the sh$t out of all of them!
What's do you have up your sleave for the "Gross Display of HP?"

Casey, Thank you for your support! I never detune! I will actually be having more power than what I had in Nebraska. I will go all out as usual.

For the Gross Display of HP, I was thinking of getting up to 90 MPH and jerking the car sideways and doing a smoky burnout that will put the one I did in the corporate car at Chelsea Proving grounds to shame! I will make Herb Helbig proud instead of mad!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,

I always read your posts, as you seem to have a very clear knowledge of your car, the dynamics of racing and a bottomless pit of racing aggressiveness. Seems to me that you will represent the Viper group better than most of us ever could. Congrats and drive fast AND safe...keep those posts coming.

CStegall

Clark, thank you for your support and confidence in me! I am planning how to do the best in every part of the competition to do the Viper nation proud!

==>I will Drive it Like I Stole it!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Skyline pricing really BUGGED me as well.
I guess that the Skyline owner is using this to get more business for his Skyline conversion company, and he neglected to mention that duplicating his car for a customer would probably cost 3X what he is claiming on the car's price. :(

I thought that point was clearly unfair.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess that the Skyline owner is using this to get more business for his Skyline conversion company, and he neglected to mention that duplicating his car for a customer would probably cost 3X what he is claiming on the car's price. :(

Does anybody have any data to prove this fact like a website with pricing list?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RE:No Spectators @ Challenge.
They told paolo is mostly a insurance thing.BS.This is supposedly for the readers.I would understand a limited viewing,only 1 person other than driver.BS.There goes my SoCal Rebell Vaca.
Have to focus on Tom's 7 shot hidden nitrous setup. :D

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RE:No Spectators @ Challenge.
They told paolo is mostly a insurance thing.BS.This is supposedly for the readers.I would understand a limited viewing,only 1 person other than driver.BS.There goes my SoCal Rebell Vaca.
Have to focus on Tom's 7 shot hidden nitrous setup. :D

TOOOFST, don't worry, I will keep all my Viper brothers close to my heart and in my mind for the whole preparation, trip there, competition and drive back! It will be a group effort!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations Paolo! I just got back last night from 3 weeks on vacation driving cross country and just heard the news!! I believe after the competition they will retire the "Gross Display of Horsepower" event in your honor and will just show videos of your performance in future years!

Way to go!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations Paolo! I just got back last night from 3 weeks on vacation driving cross country and just heard the news!! I believe after the competition they will retire the "Gross Display of Horsepower" event in your honor and will just show videos of your performance in future years!

Way to go!

Gary, thank you for your response! I have not talked to you in a while! I was just getting ready to send your picture into the milk carton missing persons department! I will send you an in car video of the Gross Display of HP! Take care and go drive your Heffner Supercharged monster some more! I will talk to you soon!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is the link to the importers website pricing: http://www.motorex.net/m_uspricing.html Looks like a new Skyline costs about $93K to me if you want one that is actually legal to drive on the street.

Good luck Paolo, do us proud. And as several have already expressed, win or lose, do it with integrity. And remember there is no shame in going down, if you go down fighting a good fight.

--- Ken

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is the link to the importers website pricing: http://www.motorex.net/m_uspricing.html Looks like a new Skyline costs about $93K to me if you want one that is actually legal to drive on the street.

Good luck Paolo, do us proud. And as several have already expressed, win or lose, do it with integrity. And remember there is no shame in going down, if you go down fighting a good fight.

--- Ken

Ken, Thanks for the heads up on the website! I will investigate for sure! I will definitely do the whole nine yards with integrity and a charisma that will be a very positive VCA representation that will make ALL Viper owners proud to be American! Like I have said, I will do my best to size up the competition and to strategize a plan to maximize my chances to score every point I possibly can in each and every category and to compete with a calm, cool head...After that it will be up to how they factor the scores between the relative performances.

BANKTHIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Paolo, I just spent Sunday afternoon with Sport Compact Car at the California Speedway. They needed a Viper (mine) for a photo shoot with the Skyline in question.

The owner claims 610 HP at the wheels on 103 octane gas. 70k was the quote for the base Skyline, 280 HP. I did not see the car run, but he did start it up and rev the motor. Redline is 8,000 rpm.

I will post pics tommorrow or when I figure out how.

Barry

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Paolo, I just spent Sunday afternoon with Sport Compact Car at the California Speedway. They needed a Viper (mine) for a photo shoot with the Skyline in question.

The owner claims 610 HP at the wheels on 103 octane gas. 70k was the quote for the base Skyline, 280 HP. I did not see the car run, but he did start it up and rev the motor. Redline is 8,000 rpm.

I will post pics tommorrow or when I figure out how.

Barry

Barry, I know the guy with the Skyline. He is from Chicago. Let me know what else went on. What year is your Viper? Take care and thanks for your input.

BANKTHIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine, 02 GTS, Bellangers, Corsa ETC. Graphite/ Silver stripes. The Skyline had California Dealer plates. Is not the same car from last year. This one is white and has more HP. I will be at the competition. The reason for no uninvited spectators is because of insurance. There will be 10 events going on at the same time. Security would be a nightmare.

Barry

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Last year's Skyline was owned by Daniel Suh.

The flaw is that SCC's "Base Price" comparison seems to be either the initial base sales price of the car when sold new (which massively favors older cars), or it's what the particular owner paid for the car (again favoring used, older cars), before any mod work is done.

Suh's Skyline was an earlier R33 model (which Motorex sells legally compliant (280-330HP) for around $50K.
But you can import them yourself for less, IF you are willing to go through tremendous government agency hoops getting the car federalized and legal yourself.
And then you need to mod the car.

The important part is that the pricing model gives the mistaken impression that you could actually go out and buy a 509HP Skyline for $35K, or a 339HP Datsun 510 for under $2,000. :(

-Dean.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats! Now drive that motherf%^&er like you are running from the cops on the Castellano Motor Speedway! And be sure not to scare them with the burnin' sidepipe fire!

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, congratulations on being accepted to the USCC. You must have a golden horseshoe up your ass, to have now made the cut. I just read this post and see that you've been spending a lot of time chit chatting with the rest of the Viper community. Quit typing and start getting that car ready. You've got 1 month to prep it, test it and get you and the car to SoCal. We don't want ya running out of gas and being forced to buy some of that 91 octane cat piss they serve up on the west coast.

Everyone will undertstand if you drop off for a while as we all know the importance of this to you and Viper owners around the world. I see you planned some road racing but a day at the dragstrip might be usefull as well. Who knows how many runs they'll let you get in, and laying that power down on Hoosiers or Kumhos will be a challenge. Practice what you can, and hope for a little luck.

So let's just say you go out and win it Juanmotime for Viper owners anywhere. Although it doesn't look like a cakewalk like last year.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, congratulations on being accepted to the USCC. You must have a golden horseshoe up your ass, to have now made the cut. I just read this post and see that you've been spending a lot of time chit chatting with the rest of the Viper community. Quit typing and start getting that car ready. You've got 1 month to prep it, test it and get you and the car to SoCal. We don't want ya running out of gas and being forced to buy some of that 91 octane cat piss they serve up on the west coast.

Everyone will undertstand if you drop off for a while as we all know the importance of this to you and Viper owners around the world. I see you planned some road racing but a day at the dragstrip might be usefull as well. Who knows how many runs they'll let you get in, and laying that power down on Hoosiers or Kumhos will be a challenge. Practice what you can, and hope for a little luck.

So let's just say you go out and win it Juanmotime for Viper owners anywhere. Although it doesn't look like a cakewalk like last year.

Juanmotime, you are absolutely correct! I have been planning to do exactly what you are saying to do. Thanks for your response: and, as usual, you are right on the money! I will do my best to take it to them! :usa:

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats! Now drive that motherf%^&er like you are running from the cops on the Castellano Motor Speedway! And be sure not to scare them with the burnin' sidepipe fire!

Chuck, Thanks for your support! I am sure you know how I will drive as you have been for a ride in the Heffner fortified Enzo Who!

Hey ==> How could you let out the secret of burnin' sidepipe fire???LOL!

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the base price - I wasnt sure if they were going to use the " modified" for the US price or the Japanese sold price. They used the sold in Japan price.

If they used the modified price - then they should take all the mods of the cars into account also. It would start to get complicated and very messy.

Whats up Russ........ hows the Viper ?.... how about the Honda ?

As far as a cakewalk last year. A GT-R with little prep finished 5 points behind the Viper. 11.6 in the quarter with 509 at the wheels . The GT-R this year has 600. 1.04 on the skidpad. 107 feet stopping , last year...

I'll be driving the car on the dragstrip. Russ - you know how I like boost....

tyndago

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Redline is set at around 8300 rpms normally I actually set it to 7000 for the videoshoot. The valvetrain is proven to 9500 rpm if we want to take it that high.

608 hp to the wheels at high boost on 94/104 mix.

Heres a run . This is on wastegate spring pressure - as low as the boost goes for this GT-R. This run is on Pirelli P-Zero Rosso street tires.

http://www.turbogm.com/turbotony/racing_pics/GTR%2011dot5.mpg

Hits the rev limiter before the end of the track . Was trying to run it though the traps in 3rd gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte