Spotted Exhaust Tips + radar

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a 2002 GTS for sale by a Dodge Dealer (16,000 miles) and I'm in the process of inquiring about the car. I asked the salesman to send me some pictures of the car (under the hood, exhaust, sills, interior, etc.) and I noticed that it has what appears to be a Corsa exhaust (with stock headers) and that there are little dark spots all over the tips. My first thought was that the spots were a byproduct of running cat-less but the dealer insists the cats are still there. Does anyone have any insights? Is this something to be concerned about? I can post the picture if it helps.

Secondly, I noticed that there two little LEDs (one green and the other is red) on either side of the black plastic panel that surrounds the shift knob (near the footwells). The dealer claims that it is a radar detector but I don't see a unit anywhere in the interior. Does this sound like it might be a radar detector? Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? I'm from Ontario and it's a ticket if the fuzz catch me with it, so I'd be looking to uninstall it ASAP (also to avoid any possibility of the detector draining the battery). Is uninstalling the unit gonna be a pain? Any insights on the above or anything relating to the detector would be much appreciated. Again, I can post a picture but I'm just on my iPad right now and I'm unsure how to post pictures from a iPad.

Thanks for your time,
Johnny

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about radar. I have corsa, inside of my tips are polished and will get spotted after driving. I just hit thems with Windex and that takes care of them.:D
I have high flow cats

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tips can be polished no problem. The radar detector sounds like a K40 brand, if it's an issue I would have the dealer uninstall it prior to purchase. Most systems like that also have sensors mounted on the front bumper and rear license frame cover.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago, I helped install an ****** Passport radar/laser detector in a customer's '39 Zephyr street rod. It was a nearly completely hidden system, and used LEDs and a speaker to notify the driver when it picked up anything. The only visible parts of the system on the car (other than the LEDs) were the small black laser shifters under the bumpers. It sounds like the car you're looking at has something similar installed.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the exhaust tips, the spots can be a number of reasons. Might be as simple as somebody putting something on the tips while they were still hot. Either way, as mentioned, easily polished. Should not be too bad.

On the radar detector, you can look at this thread. It's the install of an ****** Radar detector that is hidden. I did it on my car when I got it. If you look at the photos, you'll see what the front sensor looks like and if you see a similar looking unit in the front fascia, you'll know it's an ****** or similar unit. Disabling it is simple, simply disconnect the unit from power and you are done. If you need to remove it all together. I would leave the control unit (usually in the cabin) as it is hidden anyway and simply remove the front detector. This will resolve your issue and it is the easy way to remove it without having to disassemble the interior.

The thread is here...

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/655341-******-Passport-8500ci-Installation-in-a-2002-Viper-GTS

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beauty - thanks for the responses - it's very much appreciated.

Denniskgb and LuisV - I think you guys probably right and it's nothing but I just wanted to be sure. We have emissions testing here in Ontario and my old GTS without cats had those same black spots (and it barely passed emissions testing).

Bugman Jeff and LuisV - the dealer selling it said it was a "dealer installed" radar detection system and that the sensors are near the front fascia and rear bumper. I'll probably ask that they uninstall the system prior to pickup (if I buy the car). So it's possible to disconnect the system without unhooking the leds in the cabin? Just so it isn't draining power from the battery Thanks guys.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John. As mentioned, if properly installed, the power to the unit is only on with the key in the on or ACC position. Even so... If you located the control unit... It's a box that everything wires to... You can simply pull the power connector. You would not even need to cut wires or remove anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21