SRT/10 Two Thumbs UP!

Reaction score
I wanted to keep the positive side of the SRT-10 thread separate from the 1/1,000 who do not like the car and who do not understand the value of the Cert. program.

Thanks Dodge! for the Viper, New and Old!

"The RT10 and GTS body styling are hard to beat.

Team Viper asked the Viper Nation what do you want in the next generation and they sent out a questionnaire asking the same thing.

As I recall little was said about styling except that most owners wanted a real convertible.

Most owners wanted better brakes, more power, lighter curb weight, better 0-60, and 1/4 mile times. A dead peddle, cup holders, cruise control, etc.

We were given the changes and improvements that we wanted.

The 2003 GTS-R styling is very attractive to me.

The 2003 SRT/10 is not as dramatic as the 2003 GTSR but the current RT10 is not as dramatic as the GTS.

Bottom line my dealer (Stevens Creek Dodge) faxed my order last week.

I put a deposit on a 96RT-10 in Aug. of 95 and the feeling I have today is the same.

We were given what we wanted, moooooopower please.

And I like it!

My opinion only!"

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEAR HEAR! (or is it HERE HERE!)?

I have to say that when this car was first revealed, I was one of the guys saying it was not aggressive enough, and I wanted a coupe, etc. Guys like Steve Ferguson and Joe Houss were taking shots from guys like us left and right saying we didn't like the SRT as much as we had hoped we would, and they were doing their best to clarify Dodge's stance and what Dodge was trying to do with this car.

You know what - these guys were right. I finally *understand* this car - and I honestly, truly think that with a hardtop, 99% of the concerns about the look will be taken care of. And nobody is gonna have a darn thing to say about this "Viper" when the first of us rips off an 11.5 second pass in a bone stocker
smile.gif

So, I agree that Dodge deserves kudos - and I think Joe and Steve and yes, even Tony
smile.gif
, do also for explaining this car and being so calm with us.

And I *STILL* think we need to all band together and send a keg of beer to the boys and girls at PVO, and I hope Steve could coordinate a CAAP/PVO visit for that day to... uhh... help them out a little.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Mike, I feel PVO has provided the VCA and Viper owners with great products. We wanted the CC and they delivered! The PVO Dodge Ram is exciting.

What other car company in the world has a performance like that can come close to Dodge 2003?

What top less car looks better then the 2003 Viper SRT-10?

I am also for giving PVO a party!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike and Fred,

Thanks for your views...you have expressed exactly how I feel about the new SRT-10 and exactly why I am ordering one. And Mike, you are correct...when you sit back and turn out an 11.5 second pass with bone stock I imagine the view from inside the car is going to be much better than the view from outside.

C Stegall

JCT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GENTLEMEN,

Not only will I chip in, but I will match your first keg with a second and personally drive them up there in my coupe. Now we know why they really put those lovely humps in the roof.

Personally, I love everything about the new SRT.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Contact your regional President and suggest a PVO Appreciation Event. To me the Viper is more than a car, it is the relationship with the other VCA members, vendors, and dealers.

And that smile and feeling of joy every time you drive or just look at your car or see other Vipers on the road.

No other Car Company has been as successful in relationship marketing and delivering a "King of The Hill", 2003 Viper and Dodge Ram, line-up. I can see the cover of the car rags with a Ram and SRT-10 "Smokin" the competition.

The new Jeep Cherokee Overland is also one snappy SUV with 265 HP. Perhaps we can deliver the beer when the first truck load of SRT's are ready to leave CAAP.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Cruise control, I recall one request. Hope it is not included as it would only add weight and cost with no return on performance. On my daily drivers (automatic tranny) Cruise Control gets little (1%)use. Seems totally usless in a Viper. My Opinion only.

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Lets have a party for caap from all the SRT buyers when the last 2002 roles off the line and the SRT new design is ready. So we can all see what or new VIPERS will look like. Yes indead they will still be VIPERS.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to give them a gift they love here are a few suggestions:

1- Let's figure out a way to throw a party at Lelly's. This is a favorite meeting and eating place from those who work at PVO. Keep in mind, this place ain't cheap. My suggestion would an appreciation visit, complete with CAAP tour, and maybe even a tour at CTC? That evening, we throw a party at Lelly's for the CAAP and PVO teams.

2- Another way would be to find out how many VCA Members can attend, For each attending member, we invite a guest from either PVO or CAAP. Kind of a Big Brother program. The Member would be responsible for covering the cost of the guest.

3- Send CAAP and PVO a keg each too do what the would like with it.

Knowing this group, I would be comfortable saying that they would do just about anything to spend time with any member.

One Corporate rule that you need to be aware of (not that we ever listen) is that no individual gift can be in excess of $25. There are ways around that also.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Joe's Idea is great an Appreciation Banner! We could event make it a charity deal? But you name on the "PVO Banner" for $50.00 or $100.00 with all $$$ to be given to a charity in the name of the "PVO" employees?

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the idea of an "appreciation banner" too. Every VOI we sign a hood or two for the CAAP lobby showroom...... why not create a HUGE banner planned to be hung on one of the big walls in the CAAP assembly area??? But first, hang it up at Nashville for all 1,000 of us (2,000 with guests?) to autograph. The ULTIMATE "thank you" card!!!!!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Fred!

I agree with you that we should be very happy with what Dodge has done for the Viper owners. I'm sure corvett owners don't have the input with Chevy that we have with Dodge.

Looking forward to receiving our two new Vipers! We can't wait!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about we do something for these folks at VOI7?

They said SRT owners will be getting a "very special gift" from Dodge. How about we (either a subset of SRT buyers, or the VCA, or VOI attendees) give THEM something too? A keg (or two) is a very good start - maybe those who really like these guys and girls and appreciate what they've done could chip in and get the team something - sort of a "thanks from all of us" that they could proudly display at PVO HQ? I'm sure PVO would be happy to accept it at VOI.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
At our National meeting, we were happy to see the new CAAP plant manager discuss her enthusiasm. One of the issues she discussed was that one of the most sincere positive gestures you can expose a Conner avenue employee to is your presence at the factory!

They love to see other people's enthusiasm about the awesome beasts they are building. And Cynthia made quite clear that factory deliveries, and plant tours are fabulous for morale!

...so

Visit often, plan factory deliveries, and how 'bout we make up a banner right now that shows our thanks to all that build these fine masterpieces!

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve great idea on a party for the PVO crew count me in. Wing Kings idea of a banner signed by the VOI group to hang in the plant is also one we should do.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Joe H. are you moving forward with the PVO Team Banner?

Hope Dodge supplies a few mules/eng cars to the media, that will be representative of production units. I want to see the SRT-10 on the cover of the major Auto Rags smoking the competition in all categories, including styling.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would think that would be best done by Viper HQ, as they are affiliated with Competition Graphics, a shop that can do incredible vinyl cutting, and/or silkscreening for a VERY impressive banner.

What size would you suggest we use?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
I wanted to keep the positive side of the SRT-10 thread separate from the 1/1,000 who do not like the car and who do not understand the value of the Cert. program.

Thanks Dodge! for the Viper, New and Old!

"The RT10 and GTS body styling are hard to beat.

Team Viper asked the Viper Nation what do you want in the next generation and they sent out a questionnaire asking the same thing.

As I recall little was said about styling except that most owners wanted a real convertible.

Most owners wanted better brakes, more power, lighter curb weight, better 0-60, and 1/4 mile times. A dead peddle, cup holders, cruise control, etc.

We were given the changes and improvements that we wanted.

The 2003 GTS-R styling is very attractive to me.

The 2003 SRT/10 is not as dramatic as the 2003 GTSR but the current RT10 is not as dramatic as the GTS.

Bottom line my dealer (Stevens Creek Dodge) faxed my order last week.

I put a deposit on a 96RT-10 in Aug. of 95 and the feeling I have today is the same.

We were given what we wanted, moooooopower please.

And I like it!

My opinion only!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"1/1000" come on now! That's crazy. There's only a handful of people who like the SRT/10 and you happen to be one of them. Honesty is the best policy.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Trey,

"1/1000" come on now! That's crazy. There's only a handful of people who like the SRT/10 and you happen to be one of them. Honesty is the best policy.

The first years production was sold out in a few days. Must be pretty big hands! In my opinion that supports my 1/1000 comment which is not meant to be a statistic buy a relative comment. What rag top styling to you like?

We do agree, Honesty is a great policy and one that I follow!

Did you the SRT-10 show/engineering car? (I have) Are your comments based on pictures alone? (mine are not) If so you may or may not change your mind when you see the SRT-10. But for now I understand you do not like the styling. And you are not going to buy one. Styling, like or dislike, is a personal experience not an absolute. Your view of the SRT-10 is very clear so go preach to your, hand full or thousands, followers.

I like what the Dodge Team PVO has produced. My deposit and order have been placed for a red 2003 SRT-10. I am more excited about receiving the SRT-10, than I was about my first (97) GTS.

FYI I do love my GTS's (98 GT2 and 99ACR/CDI600).

You are welcome to post your views, they belong to you and you alone!
laugh.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Fred. I understand that the SRT is not for everyone, but I resent the insinutation that I bought the ugliest thing to come out of Detroit since the Edsel, and the insinuation that only a small group of people actually LIKE the SRT. Come on! The certs were GONE within days... and from what I understand, a LOT of those certs have turned into real orders.

Those who insist on ragging on the SRT aren't doing much to help the unity of the club, and I don't think they are eloquently making their case to Dodge. If you don't like it, offer constructive criticism like some others have, but to just blab on about how ugly the car is and how it's no Viper just spotlights you as a 'whiner'.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Mike, thanks for calling as spade a spade!

To be honest the SRT-10 brings back (50 years ago) memories of my most memorable Christmas present, a bike. My parents put it in our basement about a week before Christmas and it seemed like months as I would look in a basement (I was out in the snow) window at this magnificent 3 speed Schwinn. I am very excited about receiving the new SRT!

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
jacobs has a nice idea but the gift limit is $25.00/employee.

I think a banner from VOI thanking the employees for their contribution in making the Viper (including Gen 1, GEN 2, SRT-10, and the Com. Coupe ) the greatest Sports Car Success Story to date.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
The SRT-10 Viper and Dodge Ram represents a pretty impressive performance product line.

I hope the Ram tranny is stout enough for towing the Viper SRT-10. What is the Ram rear end ratio? Also hope it has a passenger side on/off switch for the air bag.

Red Viper SRT-10 and Black Dodge Ram SRT-10 sounds like a Great Combination.

A Jeep SRT-10 with a rocket launcher and cow/sheep catcher would be a nice product for the Military To Run Down Osama and his followers.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its amazing how many point of views about the car have already surfaced. Who ever has driven one please raise your hand.

I thought the GTS was a waste of money until I drove one. . . I bought it that day.

Im going to keep my mouth shut (except for above) until I drive one.

smile.gif

I think 500 is good.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks. I hope if you are going to take a keg to anyone you will permit your good friends from Canada to bring some kegs with real beer in them!!!!!!
tongue.gif

I find it hard to believe that you would not have fallen in love with the Coupe's looks first and then had your socks knocked off by the performance. I first heard of the coupe in January of 1993 when a friend on the inside was visiting Engineering one day and saw the prototype running around not too long before the LA Auto show where it was introduced. When I actually saw the car at the Mopar Nationals later that year I had to have one. The blue and white and oh!!!! the roof bulges reminded me of the Cobra Daytona Coupe, probably the best all time combination of looks and performance.
Compared to the RT-10 brick with wheels styling, who would need to drive one to want one?