SRT hardtops

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are only two made for the SRT, Autoform and Lempke. I've seen several pics of them installed on the cars. If you own one, can you post pic of the inside latch? How does it look compared to the factory vert latch? Seems to be the only pics not posted somewhere.

Thanks,
Murray

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a pic of it at the moment, I actually modified my latch turning it into a hook rather than a straight bar. I just felt a bit more secure at 120 mph with it locked down tight.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder how a black top would look on a red car....like the black soft top look.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wonder how a black top would look on a red car....like the black soft top look.

Would love to see this as well. Bet it would look great. Would love to have one. But 3g, don't know if its worth the cost.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the rollover bars once shipped and installed would get close to 3gs too and some tracks wont allow you on without it.....i.e.VIR.Ive had mostly coupes but me and the wife are really enjoying our vert here in S.E.NC!

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are only two made for the SRT, Autoform and Lempke. I've seen several pics of them installed on the cars. If you own one, can you post pic of the inside latch? How does it look compared to the factory vert latch? Seems to be the only pics not posted somewhere.

Thanks,
Murray

I have an Autoform top. Sent you a PM.

Joel

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a pic of the latch on the Autoform. Unfortunately the top is hanging in the garage.
The yellow tab pulls down to lock it in.
There is also a stud on both ends of the top that slides into the factory holes on the windshield mast.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a pic of the latch on the Autoform. Unfortunately the top is hanging in the garage.
The yellow tab pulls down to lock it in.
There is also a stud on both ends of the top that slides into the factory holes on the windshield mast.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, you saved me from taking mine off the wall. I might add that the rear of the top is retained in two holes in the lower top frame - behind the door. The latches swivel to retain the top. Works pretty well!

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a carbon top coming out soon, molds are done, just have to clear my plate a little. Pricing will be less than the OP charge for paintable....

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost complete:headbang: For those of you coming to Austin for the roundup, it will be there on display. Thanks to Steve for staying on "top":D of this project along with so many other projects he has going on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost complete:headbang: For those of you coming to Austin for the roundup, it will be there on display. Thanks to Steve for staying on "top":D of this project along with so many other projects he has going on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Murray, thanks for pushing me to complete this project and for your insight and prodding to come up with a classy latch and headliner treatment!

Hardtops are being made with stainless steel latches

Stainless_latches.jpg

and headliner material is matched to the material covering the center console in the cars,

I will be posting a introductory pricing group buy tomorrow, there will only be 10 hardtops available at the intro price.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks,
Murray

Actually there are a few already posted form Jeff's hardtop:

Latch

Hidden Latch

Clearance above seat

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve that looks great. marked improvement over Autoform. I make my latch the same way with it hooked. I have to come over and see it.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Competition is a good thing. Steve at Autoform has been building products for Vipers from just about the beginning of Vipers existence. Steve was building hardtops for Gen 1 and 2 Vipers long before I and when I introduced my version, it was much different than what was available and gave a completely different option for customers. Steve was also first to introduce a SRT hardtop, but in my mind I saw something different of how I wanted a SRT top to look and accent the car, and so I offered something that was my vision. Both Steve and I have invested our passion, long hours, tons of development money to create and sculpt, construct tooling and bring to market. Healthy competition.

To take someones hard work and investment risk and splash an exact copy is (to say it in a nice manner) cheating. The carbon fiber top shown here is clearly tooled up from my hard work, without my permission. I'm sure the person who did this will deny in some way, but I know my product, and that's it (the rear window attachment has been modified). I'm simply going to call foul and make the Viper community aware of the business ethics.

Some of my designs like the Street Serpent and the Falcon are inspired from many things that have already been created. Almost all designs are inspired from something and a new hard top on the market that is inspired from my design is a form of flattery and can promote healthy competition. An exact replica tooled from my efforts, that skips all of the hard work, vision, and investment that comes with introducing a niche product is stealing. The product can then be turned around and sold cheaper because those costs do not have to be recouped. I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The look and shape I developed this top to be like is like the top on the car Dodge developed and displayed at the SEMA show in 2003, the SRT Carbon Concept car. This is obviously the car and look that has been emulated a few times but never in carbon.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try. I've seen this version as well (metal masters design, I believe) and this style has zero hard creases in it (it's very obvious on the painted versions of this top). It makes the tops look too bubbly and they don't really fit the SRT lines that have so many hard creases, hence my design which has those highlights. It changes the overall look and effect of the top. The bottom line is, my top was taken and a mold was created from it. To say you developed the shape is simply not true because I can see the exact nuances in your pics that I have on my top. These would be impossible (and undesirable) to replicate on purpose.

Why don't you show a picture of your sculpting foam or clay plug/model that was created to make your mold? You can prove your case that this was the "shape you developed" and created. My guess is the best you might come up with is my top that has beed hacked around the window.

Sorry folks. I usually don't get myself involved in this sort of online trash. It's just annoying and I think this person needs to be called out on it. I'll try to stop here on the subject.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice try. I've seen this version as well (metal masters design, I believe) and this style has zero hard creases in it (it's very obvious on the painted versions of this top). It makes the tops look too bubbly and they don't really fit the SRT lines that have so many hard creases, hence my design which has those highlights. It changes the overall look and effect of the top. The bottom line is, my top was taken and a mold was created from it. To say you developed the shape is simply not true because I can see the exact nuances in your pics that I have on my top. These would be impossible (and undesirable) to replicate on purpose.

Why don't you show a picture of your sculpting foam or clay plug/model that was created to make your mold? You can prove your case that this was the "shape you developed" and created. My guess is the best you might come up with is my top that has beed hacked around the window.

Sorry folks. I ususally don't get myself involved in this sort of online debate. It's just annoying and I think this person needs to be called out on it. I'll try to stop here on the subject.

I was told you were not going to make your tops and were concentrating on making your new car?

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]Jeff, I couldn't have said it better myself. Those of you who know me, know that I generally do not comment, but this really does bother me as well. I have nothing but respect for people that have a vision and are willing to invest time and money to see a design come to life and then on top of that have to staying power to continue to market and support the products they have created. I am proud of the Autoform products I have created, I am most proud however, of the fact that I have been part of this community since before the VCA (Remember those days, Ferguson?). The Viper group is an elite group of people...the Viper is an American sports car inspired and built by American car guys. I hope we never allow copy cats and replicas tooled and produced in other countries to be part of this elite American car group. It will only cheapen the Viper image.[/FONT]

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told you were not going to make your tops and were concentrating on making your new car?

What you have heard is not the whole truth so I will clarify. The F7 is my current priority and focus. We are currently taking orders and building Viper Products. The Viper products we build still sell quite well and we plan to continue on with them in some manner whether it's built here in our shop, or components made across town, or the product line sold to a reputable company that has the ability to continue to build a quality product. None of this has been decided yet, and no matter what we choose it is in my best interest to protect our products from anyone who wants to effortlessly steal the designs and have them built cheap over seas. Even if I get overwhelmed with all of the products and decide to sell the Viper product line it's worth less if someone is doing that, so my interest is still to defend and protect. There is really not much I can do in this regard other than make the consumer aware of what is happening.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me clarify about what I posted above. I am not in any way going to rip into anyone here but we all know Steve's products are made overseas. My comment on my Autoform's top and other products are as follows. I love the top and ever since I put it on I have yet to take it off. That alone says something. It transformed the car into something entirely different than a convertable. The only part that I had in question was the latch which I modified from day one after I installed the top. I liked to see the hook holding tight at 120 mph. Autoform has good products and I have owned four seperate items from them. Side splitter, front splitter which I finally took off since I ran into to many curbs and steep driveways. (I did get pretty good at fiberglass work and painting.) The Autoform roll bar that is also still in my car made it much more stable in the mid section. I also had a bubble but not sure where I got it and after installing the roll bar it didn't fit so some other Viper has it on his car. Autoform products, and service are #1 and have a track record with me and surely many others. As for Steve I think he is a nice guy and I have no issues with him personally. I installed one of his 08 hoods on my car and I am very happy with it.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you have heard is not the whole truth so I will clarify. The F7 is my current priority and focus. We are currently taking orders and building Viper Products. The Viper products we build still sell quite well and we plan to continue on with them in some manner whether it's built here in our shop, or components made across town, or the product line sold to a reputable company that has the ability to continue to build a quality product. None of this has been decided yet, and no matter what we choose it is in my best interest to protect our products from anyone who wants to effortlessly steal the designs and have them built cheap over seas. Even if I get overwhelmed with all of the products and decide to sell the Viper product line it's worth less if someone is doing that, so my interest is still to defend and protect. There is really not much I can do in this regard other than make the consumer aware of what is happening.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do with the viper products. I really like the Lemke hard top.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please keep us updated on what you decide to do with the viper products. I really like the Lemke hard top.

OK. I hope you all just realize that, no matter what my decision is about manufacturing them, the products will continue on one way or another.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R