SRT review on MSN website.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fairly good? I see so many errors it's funny! Top speed 165? Maybe with grandma driving it in Miami. "tracks straight as an arrow on the highway" A VIPER??? Quarter mile time = "12.6" Did they put a Z06 engine in this one? "quite aerodynamic"? at .40 (top up) A transmission that allows the driver to "skip first and fourth gears"? OK, I start in second, then third and then skip to 5th. Demographics "men 100% women 0%" Janni? you out there? "the soft top is rather ordinary and is not even electrically driven." hmmmm, using the power hatch mechanism from a Voyager to add weight would make it better.... "heat produced by the exhaust system prevents you from bracing yourself on the door sills", "Far from being considered enormous, there is enough room to store a golf bag or two small Louis Vuitton bags" Louis? you out there? "Windshield Wipers: They are less efficient than the previous model's, clearing only of the windshield's surface at a conservative speed of 48/56 sweeps per minute. No match against a storm." OK let's drive our Vipers into storms, that's what we buy them for! "Climate Control: The simple system nevertheless gets the job done. Thank goodness, because the engine and exhaust system give off so much heat that you'll need to operate the air conditioning even during the fall and spring to avoid being cooked alive." Oh the heat again. "Satisfaction: Information in this respect is scarce, whether from the manufacturer or owners. Parts are rare and it sometimes takes forever before the dealers receive them. Owners clubs also complain about the little help they receive from the manufacturer. " Do we really? I'm not touching this one...

"Each vehicle featured in Test Drive undergoes a comprehensive week-long evaluation by Daniel Heraud and his team of four testers. Using the latest in state-of-the-art measuring equipment"

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange report. I do not know how they got some of the numbers. 12.6 sec 1/4 mile and 165 mph top speed. Must have been towing a trailer.

Some other interesting comments:
100% of owners are men???

The author wants an electric top - considers it a significant miss. "To the contrary, the soft top is rather ordinary and is not even electrically driven"

Wants storage. "The term "practical" definitely does not apply to this car. The glove box and center console bin are minuscule, there are no more door pockets than there are coin holders or the slightest storage bin."

Indicated that dealers cannot get parts and that the owners club (VCA) doesn't get support "Parts are rare and it sometimes takes forever before the dealers receive them. Owners clubs also complain about the little help they receive from the manufacturer."

Why can't they get sports car type owners to do sports car reviews?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manasas1 Looks like we were giving similar reviews of the author at the same time.

I certainly would not buy a car based on this reviewer.

OP
OP
V

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hence the preface "Fairly"

I guess I was amazed a mainstream reviewer didn't totally run the car down for lack of cup holders etc.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the topic of cupholders, what do we do with the stupid ashtray/shallow cupholder. I do not want the ashtray there (don't smoke, don't want to encourage others to smoke) and it is ugly. Same darn ashtray I have in my Liberty (which I threw in the garage as I have no use for it).

Anyone have something useful to replace it (the ashtray) with?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno why you even care. It's MSN..owned by Microsoft....owned by bill gates. Do you really care what some wiener thinks?

My crap is worth more than an MSN car review.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the topic of cupholders, what do we do with the stupid ashtray/shallow cupholder. I do not want the ashtray there (don't smoke, don't want to encourage others to smoke) and it is ugly. Same darn ashtray I have in my Liberty (which I threw in the garage as I have no use for it).

Anyone have something useful to replace it (the ashtray) with?

Make a "plate" to fit in there and stuff it with a gauge or something. Some gauge you would not have to always be looking at. Or one with a peak/hold feature.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about getting one of those giant sized insulated coffee cups, glue the bottom to the ash tray lid, stick it in the "hole", and write on the cup, "This is not a cup!"

Then you could put flowers in it and call it a vase. Kind of like VW. Classy!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sent a note off to them - apparently since I have ovaries I cannot own a Viper..... Someone better tell Elaine, Nancy, Rhonda, Nadine, Laura, Barbara and the rest of us. If they can catch up with us at the RACETRACK. grrrr.....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped then the following email:
Dear Sir,
As the proud owner of a new 2003 Dodge Viper, I now find myself questioning my existence thanks to your article. Apparently, since I have ovaries, I cannot own this car. Strange, I have 2 and my husband has 2. Surely I am an anomaly. Oops, Laura has 2 with 2 more on order. Steve and Elaine have 6, Nadine in the UK has one. Nancy has 2 -oh and we see each other at the racetrack several times a year. Rhonda has one - don't try to call her, though, she's at the track, too. There are MANY more, but you get the point.

It would appear that your reviewer found it easier to regurgitate points from other reviews as opposed to trying to gain an understanding of the car AND it's owners.

First of all, the demographics are easy - pure performance car enthusiasts. Gender irrelevant. If you aren't the aforementioned, then you'll sell the car. You won't "get it" and apparently, your reviewers are not.

Secondly, blatantly obvious errors undermine your credibility. The GTS began in 1996 and the powertrain warranty on every Dodge vehicle is 7 years / 70,000 miles. The skip shift feature does NOT allow the driver to skip first and fourth, but go FROM 1st to 4th... The dashboard is not magnesium - the casting that makes up the firewall is.

Understand the Viper is a performance car first, and a "daily driver filled with creature comforts" last. The "ordinary" soft top folds down to show the top of the front section thus eliminating he need for any type of "boot"; it is made of a hard front portion so it will never have the convertible top ballooning common to other cars; and the lack of a motorized top saved weight - in a performance car, weight = bad, in case you didn't know. Your testers complained of things that have little to no bearing on a purchase decision for a true sports car fan. Things like too firm a pedal, door pockets and coin holders (!), basic sound system, windshield wipers don't enter the equation.

Finally, final section regarding price, insurance, satisfaction, etc. Could not be more wrong. Viper owners get treated VERY well from the manufacturer. We regularly go to Dodge sponsored events. Owners get near direct access to the design teams. The owners' club, the Viper Club of America, does a tremendous job of assisting club members with ANY issues that may arise, and a network of dealer professionals that make the investment to serve the Viper community are rewarded handsomely with repeat business and many referrals.

May I suggest that you rate cars based on their intended purpose or how they compare to others in their class? The Viper is competitive to insure in relation to other sports cars. It's fuel economy is not a issue that should be as heavily weighted in a sports car as in an econobox.

Verifying facts, rating cars based on their purpose or against their competition, and employing some enthusiasts would do wonders for your editorial content.

Sincerely,
Janni Cone
Viper Owner

Received this as a response:
Thanks for your feedback on Daniel Heraud’s Viper review. You might want to look at how another of our reviewers evaluated the Viper:

http://autos.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.aspx?modelid=10575&src=vip

And I’ll pass along your comments to Mr. Heraud for his consideration.

Sincerely,

John Flinn

MSN Autos

Don't expect I'll be hearing from Heraud, do you????

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I don't see why not, Janni. I wouldn't be surprised if you do. I almost always get a response from media authors of online content. It should be interesting to see what his repsonse is.. :laugh:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the other review that is indicated in Janni's post. Much better. Not that there are no errors, but it is much more accurate. I think they should ditch the first one as it does not provide any value.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following is the note I sent them MSN along with the reply. At this point I hope they are getting the idea.

Janni: Hope you don't mind that I used you as the example of female
owned cars. BTW, remind me never to piss you off!

=============================================================================

Thanks for your feedback on Daniel Heraud's Viper review. You might want
to look at how another of our reviewers evaluated the Viper:
http://autos.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.aspx?modelid=10575&src=vip

And I'll pass along your comments to Mr. Heraud for his consideration.

Sincerely,
John Flinn
MSN Autos

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 12:58 PM
To: John Flinn
Cc: Randy Cade (E-mail); [email protected]
Subject: SRT 10 Review

My name is Randy Cade and I am the proud owner of a 97 Viper GTS and a
2003 SRT 10.

I read your review of the SRT 10 and wanted to point out that it had
several mistakes.

-The GTS was introduced in 1996 verses 1997.

-The top speed of the car is not 165. Most sources say either 180 or
-I know the stat on male verses female ownership is not correct. I
know of one other person in Raleigh that has taken delivery of a 2003 and
she is female. In fact, they own 4 vipers in the family.

-The heat problem that you mention has largely been corrected. You
must have been trying one of the original test cars. The factory
installed a fix for the heat problem. Yes you still have side pipes, but
your story overstates the situation with production cars.

-Although I agree that you can't buy Viper parts at the local
neighborhood Autozone, Dodge provides a tremendous
amount of support for the Viper. I attended the Viper Owners
Invitational this year. Dodge is committed to Viper
owners and Viper owners are the most brand loyal group of car
enthusiasts I know. The Viper Club of America
is also VERY supportive when you need help with the car.

I agree that the Viper is not for everyone. If you want lots of gadgets
this is not the car to buy. If you want one of the most beautiful cars
around with FANTASTIC uncompromising performance then this is your car!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sent yesterday (some graphics may not appear, as I cut and pasted):

Mr Flinn, Mr Heraud or other writers involved in your Viper SRT-10 test,

With all due respect to your research and personal experiences, it is surely my responsibility to offer my side of what I feel is a quite biased, if not utterly fraudulent, editorial.

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Joseph Houss, proud to be the National President of the Viper Club of America (VCA). Please feel free to visit our DODGE recognized, and truly official website at www.viperclubofamerica.org .

Our Viper community has never been a “mainstream” group of drivers. Our Vipers have been designed and engineered to focus on the one feature that all owners live to enjoy, and that is pure, unadulterated, raw, performance. A matter of fact, our first generation Snakes were limited to removable vinyl windows, and a rather complex canvas top, that must be removed manually, and stored in the trunk. The perfect vehicle for those that desire a true race car, but with the “added bonus” of production components necessary to make the car…….just……street legal.

Through the years, the enthusiasm, and absolute uncontrollable camaraderie within our owners group, and our friends and fellow enthusiasts at Dodge, brought about some modest changes to invoke even more passion within our growing ranks. In 1996 Team Viper engineers developed our Coupe (that’s right, 1996, NOT 1997). This coupe brought us even closer to LeMans (3 years of wins! Including an overall win against all classes of race cars) by designing an even more solid chassis, better handling, and 50 more horsepower, in a hardtop Coupe variant that absolutely blew away the competition. In 1997, Dodge followed through by offering the RT/10 variant (roadster) with “sophisticated” (to our Viper community) power windows, and of course, the new 450 Horsepower engine.

Our VCA grew to almost 40% of total Viper ownership, and our enthusiasm offered Dodge constant feedback on recommendations for what would eventually be our next spectacular generation of Snake. It was unanimous, that our owners wanted even MORE horsepower, MORE torque, and a Viper that was even closer to being a full track ready, ground up built race car…. And that’s exactly what Dodge designed. Rather than building a concept production show car, Dodge, with the performance group now known as PVO, built their “field of dreams” Viper, engineered from the ground up as a LeMans contender, by designing the chassis, suspension, overall balance, engine and brakes to race specs, and packaging it in a body that would result in a coefficient of drag that would slice through the air with the ease of a hot knife through butter!

They then brought this concept vehicle to “production” specs, to allow DOT compliance, and looked back at the surveys that they so frequently requested, and offered their first “next” generation Viper in convertible form…. A real convertible with a top that doesn’t have to be stowed in the trunk, yet simple enough not to add weight with extra motors, tonneaus, or complicated mechanism. THIS is what Viper owners want! No cupholders, climate control or navigation electronics necessary … just the most powerful engine that could possibly fit into a race ready frame!

I would hope, with your very prominent position and professional agenda, if you were testing a 3500 Ram pickup , and if you did not have the personal experience with towing and loading to give an honest opinion as to what the capabilities are versus another truck of similar use, you would research, and inquire with those that have experience in that particular field. Keeping this in mind, it would seem logical, that you would have used the same professional courtesy and “writer’s logic” to educate yourself to the very visible JD Powers reports on who, in fact, drive these absolutely awesome race cars for the street.

In hopes that your web editorial had been published in error, with much erroneous unedited info, please find below, just a few of the many unfortunate pieces of misinformation that you supplied the auto enthusiast population (I’m sure you might hear from many other Viper owners as well, that will surely find more errors).

Respectfully,

Viper Club of America

Joseph Houss, President

(732) 531-4600 (days)

Just some of the errors: (see asterisks)

“The Viper is an exotic sports convertible first introduced in 1992 in roadster form and in 1997 as a GTS coupe.”

****1996 was the first year of the coupe

“Its main competitors so to speak are the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and BMW Z8.”

****Competitors? Under what category? The Viper is a out of the crate race car, that happens to be “just” street legal.

The Viper is assembled at the Conner Avenue plant in Detroit, Michigan (USA).

Model Range
The Viper is now available solely as an SRT/10 soft-top convertible. Complete warranty: 3 years / 36,000 miles; powertrain: 5 years / 60,000 miles; rust-through protection: 7 years / 100,000 miles; 24-hour roadside assistance: 5 years / 60,000 miles.

****Powertrain 7 years/70,000 like ALL Dodge products

Technical Features
The Viper is built on a steel panel-reinforced tubular chassis. The body is constructed of composite plastic forced-injection panels. The structure that secures the windshield and dashboard in place doubles as a front safety frame, whereas the rear is equipped with a roll bar. Despite its impressive openings and appendages, the body is nevertheless quite aerodynamic as witnessed by drag coefficients of 0.40 with the top up and 0.43 with the top down. The Viper's gross weight of 1-1/2 tons is distributed between the front and the rear according to a 48/52 ratio. The four-wheel independent suspension consists of an arrangement of unequal-length A-arms with adjustable combined springs and shocks and front and rear stabilizer bars. The car is equipped with power rack-and-pinion steering and huge 36 cm ventilated disc brakes which are activated by four front and rear pistons. Integral ABS completes the braking package. Engine displacement has increased from 8.0 to 8.3 liters while horsepower and torque have been increased from 450 to 500 HP and 490 to 535 lb-ft respectively. It features an aluminum block and cylinder head while the cylinder liners are cast-iron. It uses two overhead valves per cylinder and multipoint electronic sequential fuel injection. The 6-speed manual transmission is equipped with an electronic device that allows the driver to skip the first and fourth gears.

**** skip shift provides 1st to 4th gear shift when RPM’s conform, for EPA fuel economy purposes.

The hypoid-type differential is assembled to the chassis and its limited-slip mechanism uses a disk clutch.

Viper : 8.3-liter, 6-speed manual

Engine:
8.3-liter V10

Horsepower:
500 @ 5600

Torque:
525 @ 4200

Acceleration:
0-60 mph in 4.0 sec. 1/4-mile in 12.6 sec.

Top Speed:
165 mph

Braking:
60-0 mph in 126 ft.

Road Holding:
1.15 g.

Fuel Economy:
11 (City) / 23 (Highway)

*****¼ mile in 12.6? Even novice test drivers have performed this feat in 12.0! , and our Viper Club of America members have already documented 11.8!

*****Top Speed 165? How ‘bout 190?

Demographics

Men / Women
100/0

Married
68%

High Schoo

Income
$200,000

**** Although the ownership of Vipers is surely a “male oriented” statistic, I’m sure that we have enough ladies as owners to warrant a modest swing towards the female gender.

Radio: The standard system is ordinary (in fact, it's the same system as that found in the Neon). However, it's of little importance because road, engine and wind noise steal the show when moving. At a standstill, you'd might as well find a more comfortable setting to listen to your favorite tunes.

***** The Viper Radio was engineered specifically for the Viper, with 350 watts of power, subwoofers, and uniquely mounted tweeters. This is NOT your Neon radio.

Insurance: The Viper is so expensive to insure that you'll want to take out insurance for the summer season only.
0%

***** The Viper has a statistically superior insurance record. Please visit any insurance agent and compare the insurance premium of a Viper versus any other supercar, or even you so called “competitors” the Z8 and Z06.

Satisfaction: Information in this respect is scarce, whether from the manufacturer or owners. Parts are rare and it sometimes takes forever before the dealers receive them. Owners clubs also complain about the little help they receive from the manufacturer.

***** This is absolutely insulting! Our Viper Club of America owners group is one of the most passionate clubs in the world. JD Powers has documented that Viper owners are one of the most loyal, AND most passionate owners in the world!

“Owners clubs”? There is only ONE Viper Club! I would like to see any documentation you have regarding unsatisfied Viper owners. Each part that is ordered by Dodge for our Vipers, is expedited via Dodge’s quick delivery system. I’m sorry, but I can’t believe you’re basing this information on anything factual.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sadly, these "writers" ( NOT "researchers", in MY opinion)probably expect to be paid money for their efforts...

And, YES Janni, I would like to see the live interview between these writers and some of the TREMENDOUS Viper Ladies...such as You, Elaine, Nancy, Rhonda, Nadine, Laura, and MANY others...most of whom can drive circles around many of us guys !!!

One DOES wonder just how it is that someone can be SOOOOOOOO far "off the mark". However, no ill will to said writers from me...if they want to learn more, they will always be welcome to actually "look up" some of us...they MAY be surprised !

P.S....this reminds me of some of the flawed "meta analysis work" that has crept into medical/scientific journals...it is easy to gather the fruits of OTHERS' labor, massage the data together, and draw all kinds of conclusions...right or wrong !!! And this article FURTHER reminds me of the old tale comcerning the 12 sight-challanged men, one of whom upon feeling the elephants tail, proceeded to describe it as a rope...etc. etc.

...just MY OPINION !!!

Respectfully,

Steve Fess, Sec. VCA Ind/Ky Region, Inc....and YES, Elaine has 6 Vipers

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I sent my own note (the typical Chris Marshall extended-length version), but will only quote part:

"Noting that Heraud said, "the parking brake gets in the way when in use." Gets in the way of what? You are parked and generally not using the car for anything at the time. Of course, maybe your reviewers wanted to test out other less-published aspects of the car, having possibly experienced the 'chick-magnet' affect of the Viper. If so, for shame..."

:D

Chris

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of what I sent them, partially stolen from manasas1.

"Top speed of 165mph?" Maybe, if Grandma's driving it, otherwise top speed would be closer to 190mph. That can't be right either because according to you there is no way Grandma owns the Viper, as it's owned by 100% males.

There's more but you get the idea.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEY! My grandma is 94 and she's been seen driving a Viper! Anyone seen the Eckerd drugs commercial with the two retired females driving a red gen I?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang