SRT Rotors "Turned" Improperly?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted some input on whether the dealer turned my rotors correctly. Had all the brakepads replaced, and had a chance to look at the rotors today. They look bad, and I was just curious if this is normal. It looks like they took a wire wheel brush and went nuts on the rotor, as opposed to putting it on a lathe. Also looks like they chipped my emergency brake calipers Thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that are going to comment about how it's dirty, it actually gets driven in the rain. Don't worry, the car is getting detailed tomorrow.

I guess the main thing is this:
Cosmetically the rotors look bad.
Functionally this may be correct.

I just wanted input on if it was functionally correct, from Mark Jorgensen. I have a good relationship with the dealer, I just needed to know if it was something I should pursue with the service advisor. They seem to brake fine, and my original complaint was there was a squealing noise at slow speeds, without the brakes applied. The problem was thought to be caused by the brake pads, hence they were replaced. Thanks for any and all help/advice.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless they were warped, they shouldn't turn them. Roughing them up for new pads is what they did. Put a few miles on, those marks will go away. :2tu:

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they turn the rotors, they "scuff" the surface of the rotor after it has been turned and completed. It is intended to look like this, and is done to increase friction for the first few hundred miles. Your car is perfectly fine, and I would not worry one bit! :2tu:

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but they weren't turned:nono: if they were, there would be no marks on the inner or outer edges those marks are from the pads. Once rotors are turned all marks are gone. All they did is sand the surface.

Big Brake Dave:drive:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but they weren't turned:nono: if they were, there would be no marks on the inner or outer edges those marks are from the pads. Once rotors are turned all marks are gone. All they did is sand the surface.

Which is true unless they were warped as someone metioned earlier. There's no need to turn rotors unless it is absolutely necessary. It does look like, however, they got a little too close to your E-brake caliper.

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To stop squeel when you get new pads, you have to lightly sand the rotors to remove the embedded material (from the old pads) on the rotor surface. Looks like they did a good job. Is is still squeeling?

They could have also "turned" your rotors if they needed it. They probably didn't need that.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think they were going to be turned, but the service advisor said they would be, which is why I asked. I guess I've never noticed it on my other vehicles after they've had new pads installed, or the method in which they scuff the rotors is more uniform than what my dealership did. In either case, glad I don't have to take it back to the dealership. Thanks for the input guys!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd ask to look at the dremel tool bits for this ********...
[media]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/Malu59RT/08%20Viper%20SRT/Rotors/Pic008.jpg[/media]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang