SRT wins KC VCA Dyno Day (many pics & numbers)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were once again blessed with great weather on our fifth annual Dyno Day. We were even more fortunate to be associated with fantastic Viper vendors like Doug Levin Motorsports, who once again was our sponsor for this great event. Thanks Doug!

Ironically, our proverbial King of the Dyno (a Doug Levin car, of course) has taken residence in another state and thus that trophy was up for grabs. It was really anybodys day, as the Roe car didn't show, the H*n*s*y 650 didn't show, nor did the built RT. And because we are one of the few clubs that welcomes Associate Members, we signed our 100th member right there at the Dyno - a Ferrari F40 (who didn't want to dyno, but just came to hang out with us for part of the day). It was a blast!

You must be registered for see images

And here are your participants (including non-Vipers), their mods, their results, and a picture of each for your viewing pleasure. They are listed in the order they ran. Enjoy!

First car on was Frank's new 2005 300C SRT-8. He brought the doughnuts, so he was first in line! His car is bone-stock and made a whopping 367.2 RWHP and 353.9 RWTQ - or roughly 459 flywheel horsepower! :eek:

Next up was Ron with his 2004 SRT-10 Ram. Also bone stock, he made 439.5 RWHP and 469.4 RWTQ.

Brian brought his 1998 GTS with tubes, filters, and Borla exhaust: 429.1 RWHP and 465.9 RWTQ.

Jim brought this gorgeous 2003 SRT-10, which happens to be my old car. Dirty K&N's and a more open exhaust didn't provide him with the results we were hoping for: 446.9 RWHP and 478.2 RWTQ.

Darrin's 1997 GTS was strong, as are most of that particular vintage. His has K&N's, tubes, high-flow cats, and cat-back system that made 439.3 RWHP and 456.2 RWTQ.

Cory blew everybody away with his brand new 2005 Silver Mamba SRT-10. Absolutely bone-stock, it was pushing 459.8 RWHP and 484.3 RWTQ. Strong!

Next up was Yours Truly with the ol' 2005 VCA SRT-10. At the last minute I bought new K&N's from JonB at PartsRack and he did his typical amazing job of getting them to me immediately. Unfortunately, my much-hoped-for 480 RWHP (stock was 464.0) never materialized: It made only 456.7 RWHP and 473.5 RWTQ. Disappointed, I suggested Cory try the K&N's on his car (above) and he immediately popped off a 468.6 RWHP and 488.5 RWTQ run. He kept the K&N kit and I went home with his stock intake setup.

It was then time for one of my favorite cars in the club, Bill's 1999 GTS in black and silver. Sporting headers, throttle bodies, tubes & filters, exhaust, and a few other goodies, he made 461.8 RWHP and 484.2 RWTQ.

Dave had his 2000 GTS looking sharp and running strong with a Borla catback system and K&N/smooth tubes: 429.3 RWHP and 448.10 RWTQ.

Of course everybody knows yellow is the fastest, even when it doesn't pull the best numbers. Kurt has a good excuse: His 2001 RT/10 has 3.55 gears, tubes/filters, Corsa cat-back, Random Tech high flow cats - and routinely keeps his pregnant wife comfortable as they await their first child. 413.3 RWHP and 424.9 RWTQ:

Of course you gotta have one a them thar furen cars to dyno, so our favorite Associate Member Joe brought his 2001 Lotus Esprit out to play. Sporting K&N's and some light exhaust work, it made 341.4 RWHP and 288.8 RWTQ.

Next up was our surprise of the day. Which was preceded by a less-fortunate surprise: On the route that many of us take to the dyno, the City's Finest had staked a laser speed trap in the shadows of an overpass. Three chase cars on the onramp on the other side. Sneaky! Most of us passed by without incident, including one at triple digit speeds. Tim and his 2004 SRT-10 (green filters and slight exhaust work) weren't so fortunate: 86 in a 60 (drops from 70 just before the trap). His dyno seemed to make up for a little of it, with a very stout 469.3 RWHP and 485.3 RWTQ. We hope he enjoys his King of the Dyno award - it cost him $208 to get it!

Our next Tim drives a more conservative looking 2001 GTS (ha!). Truly a poser, his car graces more senior high school photos than any car on the planet. No worries, that is his job as a professional photographer. His creampuff with just tubes and filters made a very nice 429.3 RWHP and 466.9 RWTQ.

One of our other big surprises (besides than damn speed trap) was Dan Gordon and his 1993 RT/10 antenna car. With only tubes and filters, he made a whopping 412.5 RWHP and 472.1 RWTQ!. Must have been those Kumhos...

All the cop jokes went into overdrive when one of our two resident police officer Viper owners showed up with his distinctive 1997 GTS. Matthew has always been one of our best friends and was the one that took me to my first Viper Club meetings back in 1999 - before I even had my first Viper. His car has changed a little on the outside since then, but his mods are still just tubes/filters and a rear muffler delete. Always fun to see him rip off a very strong 439.1 RWHP and 461.7 RWTQ.

It was then time to dyno Larry's 2004 SRT-10. Bone stock, it made a very respectable 447.5 RWHP and 476.0 RWTQ. So impressed, Larry and his wife agreed right then and there that they were going to cancel the addition of a new Z06 in favor of a new Viper Coupe.

Last, but certainly not least, was Chad with his 1997 GTS. Once again proving the rumor of VERY strong 1997's, his bone stock blue & white made a VERY strong 433.8 RWHP and 461.1 RWTQ.

So that's it! We had a great time and great weather. A few pleasant surprises and one sad VCA SRT owner who thought that he just might get a shot at a podium finish this year. ;) Again, our thanks to Doug Levin and all the great folks at DLM for lending their support to this event!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun reading Chris. Great pics and great story! Looks like you guys had a blast. Thanks for sharing. :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, fun reading and looking at.