SRT10 vert and sell Cobra vert or GTS and keep Cobra?

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious as to others opinions. I have 3 cars already but I want a viper and really I want a GTS but I want to keep a soft top of some sort which is my cobra right now. So the question is how much of a creampuff is the SRT10 vs a GTS? Powerwise, anybody compare an SRT10 vs a Terminator upgrade for upgrade?

Hmm, maybe I should just get the SRT10 and list the cobra for sale, wait a few years to get a GTS too. Decisions, decisions!

Realistic choices are:

GTS, Cobra, Titan, Civic
SRT10 Vert, Titan, Civic

If I get a GTS that means I need to raise the roof in the garage and get a 4 post lift to stack it and the Cobra which it and financially the reasons I would consider a SRT10 Vert.

Part of the reason I want a GTS is for the 96-99 Forged Internals being good for 800+ Turbo ponies and a driveline that can handle the power much better then my cobra. The other reason is they are so damn ****!!

What do you guys think?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say "Cobra" you mean Mustang, right?

To us this is a Cobra.
COBRA0_1.JPG

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like u want ****, powerful and soft top all in one...sounds like a ssg should fit the bill

gr21.JPG

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like u want ****, powerful and soft top all in one...sounds like a ssg should fit the bill

Yes that would fit the bill but... looks outside the price range. I'm hoping low 40's, mid 30's to start. more then likely 03-06 SRT10 if I'm going that route.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can tell you what I did.

I got an RT/10 back in 2000, then a terminator cobra mustang in 03, black on black vert. Then sold the RT/10 and got my 03 SRT/10. I sold my terminator about 2 yrs ago and am looking to get a shelby GT500 cobra this winter.

Comparison wise, my terminator had upgraded full exhaust, pulley's, Amazon tune, TB, suspension, etc. bolt ons, made 550rwhp. It was crazy fun and outta hand to drive. Do I miss it? YES. RT/10 vs SRT/10, to me huge difference, the RT was far more raw, I loved it, miss it. The SRT is way easier to drive IMHO, my mods & #'s are in my sig. Comparison of the terminator vs SRT, when I drove the SRT I thought there was something wrong it felt so slow, but put me in the 11s bone stock and about 450rwhp stock ... the 3.07 grearing and the chassis make the car way more controlled than my hang-on and pray feel of my terminator. I do regret selling the termi, to me the perfect combo in my garage would be my termi & the SRT. I'm selling my way too civilized BMW 330CiC and getting a Shelby in the near future.

But any combo of the cars you're talking about is a win win scenario, just can't go wrong. Oh, and nice to see a brother Mustang'er. I've had 7 since '87, 4 of them cobra's and love them all.

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can tell you what I did.

I got an RT/10 back in 2000, then a terminator cobra mustang in 03, black on black vert. Then sold the RT/10 and got my 03 SRT/10. I sold my terminator about 2 yrs ago and am looking to get a shelby GT500 cobra this winter.

Comparison wise, my terminator had upgraded full exhaust, pulley's, Amazon tune, TB, suspension, etc. bolt ons, made 550rwhp. It was crazy fun and outta hand to drive. Do I miss it? YES. RT/10 vs SRT/10, to me huge difference, the RT was far more raw, I loved it, miss it. The SRT is way easier to drive IMHO, my mods & #'s are in my sig. Comparison of the terminator vs SRT, when I drove the SRT I thought there was something wrong it felt so slow, but put me in the 11s bone stock and about 450rwhp stock ... the 3.07 grearing and the chassis make the car way more controlled than my hang-on and pray feel of my terminator. I do regret selling the termi, to me the perfect combo in my garage would be my termi & the SRT. I'm selling my way too civilized BMW 330CiC and getting a Shelby in the near future.

But any combo of the cars you're talking about is a win win scenario, just can't go wrong. Oh, and nice to see a brother Mustang'er. I've had 7 since '87, 4 of them cobra's and love them all.

Exactly what I was looking for! As far as the shelby's I hear they are far more refined then the Terminators and it takes a lot more power to get them moving. My Terminator is black on black as well, great combo. Just exhaust, welded subframes, intake for now. I'm thinking a posi ported blower and supporting mods early next year for it.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming from a 550hp 2003 Cobra here too. Have you test driven a SRT10 or GTS yet? You may find your answer right after you drive one, ya know? Also, I still believe that upgrade for upgrade, you can't touch a Terminator. But, no matter which Kenne Bell or Whipple goes in...it's still not a Viper. Good luck

P.S. Wallbanger: Freakin' gorgeous!

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from a 550hp 2003 Cobra here too. Have you test driven a SRT10 or GTS yet? You may find your answer right after you drive one, ya know? Also, I still believe that upgrade for upgrade, you can't touch a Terminator. But, no matter which Kenne Bell or Whipple goes in...it's still not a Viper. Good luck

P.S. Wallbanger: Freakin' gorgeous!

I haven't test driven either. Waiting until I'm a more serious buyer sometime next year. More or less that's why I'm asking for advice to get a ball park of what I need saved up before I go driving :)

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Mustang Cobra (Terminator) and a 2005 SRT10 Viper.

Both are my toys as I also have a daily driver.

If I had to choose between the SRT10 and the Cobra, I would pick the Cobra every time. LOL

The SRT10 is an awesome car, but there is something about the 03/04 Cobra's exhaust note, supercharger whine, semi exotic 32v V8 that has forged internals and inexpensive power upgrade path.

In reality, both are far different cars to enjoy for what they are.

I have had ZERO problems with either of these cars and perform all maintenance on them myself.

I think the 2003/2004 Cobra is probably one of the best cars Ford has ever produced at the price it sold for.

Go pick up Iron Fist, Lead Foot at Amazon.com and see what went into this car and the amazing story behind it (John Coletti, etc)

Both cars are awesome, but I think you might regret selling the Term for an SRT10.

The driveline in the Cobra and GTS/SRT10 is almost identical. Parts are broken on the Cobra due to rubber bushings and wheel hop.

T56's in both (although built somewhat stronger in the Viper)

Both cars have diffs as weaknesses.

Cobra you can fix that with a 150 dollar IRS brace.

Viper you fix that problem with a quaife or an 08 rear end ($$)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I had to choose between the SRT10 and the Cobra, I would pick the Cobra every time. LOL

The SRT10 is an awesome car, but there is something about the 03/04 Cobra's exhaust note, supercharger whine, semi exotic 32v V8 that has forged internals and inexpensive power upgrade path.

I have had ZERO problems with either of these cars and perform all maintenance on them myself.

I think the 2003/2004 Cobra is probably one of the best cars Ford has ever produced at the price it sold for.

Go pick up Iron Fist, Lead Foot at Amazon.com and see what went into this car and the amazing story behind it (John Coletti, etc)

Both cars are awesome, but I think you might regret selling the Term for an SRT10.

The driveline in the Cobra and GTS/SRT10 is almost identical. Parts are broken on the Cobra due to rubber bushings and wheel hop.

Wow you've got to be serious Ford fan! I agree that the exhaust note on the Viper BLOWS, but that's where it ends. The word Exotic and Mustang certainly don't belong in the same sentence, though I do understand your passion for both cars. I've owned some serious cars, all built by me, and I've loved them. None of them can even come close to what the Viper can do, especially modded. No other car I've owned picked up over 150 rwhp from a simple cam and head swap. All this with more torque across the board. Buy the finest GTS you can get your hands on, don't skimp! you'll be glad you did.

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 03/04's are by far the best Mustang, at least to me. Some can argue the GT500 but I don't want to drive a Tank and and even the Terminator's are getting close to that.

The rear end, output shaft, and the early 03 heads are the weak points. I'm more worried about the 03 heads then anything. Still a great car for the money. I'm thinking keep the 03 Cobra and get a GTS to go with it :)

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keeping the Cobra and picking up a GTS is probably the best scenario.
:drive:

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you've got to be serious Ford fan! I agree that the exhaust note on the Viper BLOWS, but that's where it ends. The word Exotic and Mustang certainly don't belong in the same sentence, though I do understand your passion for both cars. I've owned some serious cars, all built by me, and I've loved them. None of them can even come close to what the Viper can do, especially modded. No other car I've owned picked up over 150 rwhp from a simple cam and head swap. All this with more torque across the board. Buy the finest GTS you can get your hands on, don't skimp! you'll be glad you did.

What other cars have you had and modified?

Right now I'm still in aww about how little money it takes to get a 03/04 Cobra producing power. A good blower (kb/whipple) system running about 20-25PSI with supporting mods (say, maybe 5-7K including blower) will produce the power/tq/hp a ROE car does and it's only 4.6L. Sure, it's not a viper but that's a mean motor from the factory. Get into the TT's and 3.4L whipples (700hp +) and a ROE is going to struggle to get to that power level, especially without water/**** injection. Compare that to the creampuff car's instead of a forged GTS and the Cobra is king dollar for dollar.

That said, I still want a Viper. Damn those childhood dreams and **** styling of a GTS.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After revisiting the thread I cast my vote for Termi & SRT, I had this combo for 2 yrs & miss it horribly. In fact I'm hatin on ya for putting this thread up & reminding me how I had the perfect garage combo of cars for me & blew by selling my termi. lol

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never owned a Mustang, but I do own a 500hp (+250 Nitrous) resto-mod 440 Duster. Best sounding of all my 500+ cars. My supercharged Viper is like a Shelby GT 500, except that the extra 180cubic inches makes a few hundred hp and a fe hundred ft # or torque. The week link is the axles, not the diff. over 800rwtq at 2000rpm is mind boggling! Having a top speed over 200mph and being the, or one of the fastest street tired cars on any track pretty ,much says it all. The Mustang has skinny tires and doesn't corner very well. Not sure of Mustang's stopping ability but my Viper stops with the best using 09 ACR style brakes lightweight wheels and the massive Viper tires. The PS2 tires invented for the 600hp 08 Vipers are so good that GM even borrowed these tires for the ZR1, although the Z06 didn't get them.

Not sure about the gears in your Mustang or a Shelby GT500 but with stock 3;08s I fishtailed a couple hundred feet when I shifted into 3rd gear at 95mph. That was with PS1s and I find the PS2s might have enough traction for me to hook up my Nitrous kit.

My engine is stock except for 9-1 Ross pistons and bolt-ons. Although the 96-9s forged pistons are good, they're not blower pistons and my Roe supercharged 98 GTS had a totally stock engine (even stock headers) and at 8psi with w/m it made 600rwhp/644rwtq. All stock Vipers have lousy exhaust, but many aftermarket companies have awesome exhaust systems. My 98 used Roe hi-flow Cats and Random Tech 3" Catback. It idled loud, drove sounding nice and although it sounded good at WOT, it wsa too quiet. This Viper has 10 psi, TNT headers, Cat delete and Corsa track exhaust. If you read the comments on my youtube video you'll get the other idea of what hp Vipers sound like. With my Viper beside you you wouldn't hear the Mustang at all.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CE50p4DUg&feature=related[/media]

Maybe you'd prefer my 440 Duster? Way more looks than a Mustang, 7,000 miles since engine etc. With Nitrous my Duster will probably go almost as fast as my Viper (10.5@139mph) you can see which one is for sale.

I did look at buying an SRT8 Challenger and a Shelby 500, but they're almost as much money as a Viper. A used Ford GT would be comparable for me, but they seem to be going for about $120,000. Not worth it unless you're a collector.

The new Shelby Mustangs are comparable in power to the older Vipers, but they actually compare better to a vette. Both are quite common and not many people notice when they drive past.

New Mustang = old Viper. Whatever you purchase will hopefully make you happy. Enjoy it.

I had a ZX11 and it was the second bike I got crashed on. Going speed limit and a company Van did WOT turning left so he could take me out. All my ribs broken and nerve damage for 1 year. Now, I ride a couple hundred hp snowmobile so that the retards and drunks can't catch me.

Ted

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right now I'm still in aww about how little money it takes to get a 03/04 Cobra producing power. A good blower (kb/whipple) system running about 20-25PSI with supporting mods (say, maybe 5-7K including blower) will produce the power/tq/hp a ROE car does and it's only 4.6L. Sure, it's not a viper but that's a mean motor from the factory. Get into the TT's and 3.4L whipples (700hp +) and a ROE is going to struggle to get to that power level, especially without water/**** injection. Compare that to the creampuff car's instead of a forged GTS and the Cobra is king dollar for dollar.

That said, I still want a Viper. Damn those childhood dreams and **** styling of a GTS.

Camaro and Corvettes. Dollar for dollar the goodies available for the Mustangs these days are hard to beat. The real story though for me was the fact that I made the power without forced induction. Certainly nothing wrong with blown cars, but making huge power gains with zero torque loss across the power band is simply unheard of in any other make I've ever known. The backbone of the GTS is so much better than any other car period, that's not speculation either. Every other car I've dealt with always had issues when you increased power, not the Viper. Take a look at the way the frame is designed in the Viper, the suspension and brakes tell another story. The clutch is huge, the driveshaft is short and strong, I could go on and on. The car is simply over engineered and rock solid. By the way, the so called cream puff cars can make some wicked power when modded. You won't regret buying a GTS, and they are a steal these days.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sorry but my Buddy has an 09 Shelby GT500. The first mod is to port the stock blower. $6500 and that made 613bhp or about 523rwhp. Then pulley and tunes cost another couple thou and you're still nowhere near teh 700+ roe power. AND the 09 Shebly GT500 has a 5.4L Apparently the little GT engines have a tendency to not drive home? When we did the VOI X last year we did a Saleen plant /Tour and saw the 3 valve heads and engine building they do for the 430bhp engines.

If you only drive the speed limit a sc'd mustang might even beat a Viper or two sometimes, but when you're at the Texas Mile or running in the Silver State rally I wouldn't want to be in a Mustang for long periods of high speed. Mustangs have to stop to go around corners (ok I'm joking). Seriously, with that high center of gravity and solid rear with 5 link what G force could you expect? My friends Grand National made .6 Gs. Mustang should be a tad better because it has wider tires. The GTS does 1G. Even the old GTS is one of the best in the world beating most Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos. The new ACR IS the world's best. I've never even read what a Mustang will do.

You can't even tell how good a Viper is until you drive it at 160mph around a road course.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4.7L x 20 psi = 700rwhp Mustang

8.3L x 20 psi = 2200rwhp Viper

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03/04 Cobra has forged internals as responds extremely well to boost. Most ported 03/04's will make around 500rwhp with just a ported blower and what the heck, $6500 to port a blower? Posi will do it for about 1K. Yes, ported blower != Roe. KB/Whipple = Roe. 3500-4K for blower + supporting mods.

Here is a whipple 3.4 thread. You can tell exact mods/boost levels/rwhp, etc. Some are built motors, some are not.

3.4L Whipple Users - ModularFords.com

Don't get me wrong, it's no GTS and I never said it was but dollar for dollar those Terminators are beasts. They are infact faster then the GT500 from the factory. They also have IRS (shelby's don't). Brakes are weaker then I was expecting and it handles good but I'm sure not like a viper. They are rated at .9G's on the skidpad. As you can see above people that have owned a terminator LOVE them.

As far as worlds best I'm partial to the S7 TT.

Sorry but my Buddy has an 09 Shelby GT500. The first mod is to port the stock blower. $6500 and that made 613bhp or about 523rwhp. Then pulley and tunes cost another couple thou and you're still nowhere near teh 700+ roe power. AND the 09 Shebly GT500 has a 5.4L Apparently the little GT engines have a tendency to not drive home? When we did the VOI X last year we did a Saleen plant /Tour and saw the 3 valve heads and engine building they do for the 430bhp engines.

If you only drive the speed limit a sc'd mustang might even beat a Viper or two sometimes, but when you're at the Texas Mile or running in the Silver State rally I wouldn't want to be in a Mustang for long periods of high speed. Mustangs have to stop to go around corners (ok I'm joking). Seriously, with that high center of gravity and solid rear with 5 link what G force could you expect? My friends Grand National made .6 Gs. Mustang should be a tad better because it has wider tires. The GTS does 1G. Even the old GTS is one of the best in the world beating most Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos. The new ACR IS the world's best. I've never even read what a Mustang will do.

You can't even tell how good a Viper is until you drive it at 160mph around a road course.

Ted

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4.7L x 20 psi = 700rwhp Mustang

8.3L x 20 psi = 2200rwhp Viper

4.6L x 20psi = 700rwhp on Stock Motor (twin screw, not TT)
8.0L x 10psi = 700rwhp on Stock Motor (Roe with water/****)

Last I checked the Viper motors won't handle 20psi stock.

Not trying to turn this into a ***** fest, back on topic. We know Viper > Terminator when going all out.

Cobra + GTS seems to be what I'm going for as GTS > SRT10.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What?
:lmao:A GTS and a SRT-10? :2tu:
Are you serious? :drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4.6L x 20psi = 700rwhp on Stock Motor (twin screw, not TT)
8.0L x 10psi = 700rwhp on Stock Motor (Roe with water/****)

Last I checked the Viper motors won't handle 20psi stock.

Not trying to turn this into a ***** fest, back on topic. We know Viper > Terminator when going all out.

Cobra + GTS seems to be what I'm going for as GTS > SRT10.

Stock Viper engines don't handle 20psi - of course not. Have you ever tried driving with even 700rwhp? My 14" wide new PS2 started to get a little traction around 70mph.

SVS, Hefner and Hennessey Vipers all lose traction at 150mph wearing drag radials and only 16psi. Imagine 20psi? Vipers are for land speed records, Salt flats, road courses, Grand Prix racing - they're not passenger cars (no back seat) they are supercars.

I don't understand why a Mustang and Viper are being compared? Completely different design cars. Shall we throw some Hondas in to compare the Mustang too?

I LIKE the supercharged Mustangs, but they're comaprable to a Camaro or Challenger, not a Viper, Ferrari or Lambo.

At half the price of a Viper the price doesn't compare either.

If I still had kids I'd want a supercharged Challenger SRT8. Much as I like the Shelby GT500s ... the $6,000 difference in price would buy a supercharger kit for the Challenger and that 40% power increase (base kit) would be a massive hp gain over the Mustang. Of course there would be no powertrain warranty on the sueprfast Challenger while the stock Mustang would have warranty. Dodge would kill at the dragstrip and be equal to the Mustang at the road course, with no warranty.

Which one is the best choice for you depends on your use for it. My second car is a triple set of Stealth R/T TTs. I need AWD for winter to survive/live on our fully iced winter roads. I've got a few cheap mods to my Stealths and upgrading the twin turbos and boosting another 6psi builds 500hp out or the 3L engines. Back seat, decent insurance price and up to 30mph at 80mph suits my needs best.

But, even though my Stealth is faster than most slightly modded Vipers, even a vette Z06 can pass me after 100mph ... except in winter, lol.

Good luck, and I do think that 2 cars are better than 1.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
03/04 Cobras do NOT have forged bottom ends. The pistons are hypereutectic.

The only way you are going to run 20 pounds of boost on a stock engined Cobra is if the timing is backed down from 23 degrees max, or you use racing (100 octane or better fuel). The Cobra engines like high octane fuel.

It took me 25 pounds on my 2.8H to make 718rwhp with a built bottom end and reworked heads using straight 100 and 21 degrees max timing..

Ted...If you have some time
modularfords.com

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Mustang is not a supercar and will never be, viper is. The question was more of will the SRT-10 soft top do what I want or do I need a GTS with forged internals. The answer is a GTS and keep my cobra for the soft top.

612rwhp is the most I've driven.

I still can't believe how much they want for GT500's, it's a rip and I would never buy one.

DD = 98 Civic Ex 30+ city, 42mpg hwy
Bad Weather/Towing/4 Door = 2006 4x4 Titan Crew Cab
Fun = 2003 Cobra Vert
Fun #2 = Hopefully 99 GTS

Thanks for the +1 of two cars. Two cars are better then one is my thinking also, well other then for insurance, uggh.
Stock Viper engines don't handle 20psi - of course not. Have you ever tried driving with even 700rwhp? My 14" wide new PS2 started to get a little traction around 70mph.

SVS, Hefner and Hennessey Vipers all lose traction at 150mph wearing drag radials and only 16psi. Imagine 20psi? Vipers are for land speed records, Salt flats, road courses, Grand Prix racing - they're not passenger cars (no back seat) they are supercars.

I don't understand why a Mustang and Viper are being compared? Completely different design cars. Shall we throw some Hondas in to compare the Mustang too?

I LIKE the supercharged Mustangs, but they're comaprable to a Camaro or Challenger, not a Viper, Ferrari or Lambo.

At half the price of a Viper the price doesn't compare either.

If I still had kids I'd want a supercharged Challenger SRT8. Much as I like the Shelby GT500s ... the $6,000 difference in price would buy a supercharger kit for the Challenger and that 40% power increase (base kit) would be a massive hp gain over the Mustang. Of course there would be no powertrain warranty on the sueprfast Challenger while the stock Mustang would have warranty. Dodge would kill at the dragstrip and be equal to the Mustang at the road course, with no warranty.

Which one is the best choice for you depends on your use for it. My second car is a triple set of Stealth R/T TTs. I need AWD for winter to survive/live on our fully iced winter roads. I've got a few cheap mods to my Stealths and upgrading the twin turbos and boosting another 6psi builds 500hp out or the 3L engines. Back seat, decent insurance price and up to 30mph at 80mph suits my needs best.

But, even though my Stealth is faster than most slightly modded Vipers, even a vette Z06 can pass me after 100mph ... except in winter, lol.

Good luck, and I do think that 2 cars are better than 1.

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
03/04 Cobras do NOT have forged bottom ends. The pistons are hypereutectic.

The only way you are going to run 20 pounds of boost on a stock engined Cobra is if the timing is backed down from 23 degrees max, or you use racing (100 octane or better fuel). The Cobra engines like high octane fuel.

It took me 25 pounds on my 2.8H to make 718rwhp with a built bottom end and reworked heads using straight 100 and 21 degrees max timing..

Ted...If you have some time
modularfords.com

03-04 Cobras are all forged. The pistons aren't the best quality out there but are forged.