staight pipes with headers

venemous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey gang Im curious to know if straight pipes (stainless) prefered with headers is the best exhaust to have for a side pipe car. This is without cats ofcourse . Has anyone done this yet ? DYNO TESTED etc etc...Not worried about inspection . I am wanting to do and wanted to hear some input .Borla doesnt offer anything for the gen1 car anymore ???? Cant figure that out . OH WELL help please.
John

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO yourself a favor. Forget Borla and all of the other high priced exhaust systems for your Gen 1 car. Leave the cats on and hack off the muffler. Take some measurements and go to your local Midas/Meinieke muffler shop and have them cut you some pipe and make the dumps for the exhaust tip. If you don't have a welder, you'll haveta clamp them which isn't the best way. Personally, I'd whip out my MIG and do it that way. Total cost is under $30 for the materials. If you haveta bring your car to the shop, at least remove the sidepipe covers for the guy...which will save him time and you $$$.

Remmeber a motor is a giant air pump. The quicker the air gets in and out determines motor efficiency. No mufflers will give a louder and deeper sound, which allowing the exhaust to exit faster. Just my low buck approach/old hot rodder tip.

But if you have a bundle to waste, check out some of the aftermarket stainless steel systems. They'd be glad to make a grand or two from ya!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venemous,

I offer a complete 3" cat back system for your GEN 1 car that includes the Dynomax Race Bullet muffler that will not rob you of any horsepower, but will give you that deep, throaty sound that you are looking for.

The complete system including adapters for cats if you ever need to install them is only $ 629.00

thanks and good luck

tom
Http://btrviper.com

Reaction score
Venemous --
Unfortunately, I have nothing to sell, just some advice to offer to you.
Sometime ago, I did some intensive dyno testing on side exhaust HP #'s.
Here is what I found:

I tried running many combo's you are speaking of, and found tradeoff's in both HP and TQ numbers. The best way to pick up BOTH horsepower and torque is to start forward - at the exhaust manifold back. You can still purchase the BTR or HMS exhaust, just be sure to use a 3" exit (or flex tube) from the stock manifolds -or- headers, back.

Regards,
Doug Levin

OP
OP
V

venemous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow , thanks for all the replies guys. Im so confused though I wish I had the MO to try them all out. In all I gotsome good ideas from you all . Thnak you !!!
John