Starting question...

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would cause an SRT to "die" while driving? Assuming my fuel pumps are fine, as I can hear them when I cycle the key and my fuel pressure is fine. And my aftermarket fuel filters are new.
Coil packs, AEM, ???.
My car has died on me while driving. And on a couple of occasions, not started. Each time I've checked, I've had spark. It's started doing this more and more as of late. And before you say it....NO..warranty is not an option for my car. :rolaugh:

Is there a security immobilizer that can go bad...causing this problem?

What else can I check?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly, it may be worth checking to see if there is a loose wire (to the fuel pump, or to the AEM). This could be why you have an intermittent problem.

OP
OP
K

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kelly, it may be worth checking to see if there is a loose wire (to the fuel pump, or to the AEM). This could be why you have an intermittent problem.

I've checked those. I can hear my fuel pumps come on and my fuel pressure is what it should be, when I cycle my ignition. I'm thinking its the stock coil packs or AEM. I'm just wondering what else I could check to rule other things out.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor pressure when the car dies. If there is a loose connection or other issue, you will see a drop in pressure before it dies.

Other cause, if you have been running a lot of C16 your o2s may be bad. They will make the AEM run rich and possibly cause your issue. I think this may be a very good chance.

If the idle air controller is blocked this could be it, but not probable.

Last idea, it could simply be the tune and the hot weather. It may not be tuned well enough in the idle settings.

GL with it

OP
OP
K

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be a problem when the car is cold. But lately, after a longer drive...starting is 50/50.:dunno:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there is a relay on the Viper for the Fuel Pump(s) you may want to check that.

I previously owned a Jaguar XJR and it had two fuel pumps.

This car had a problem with the original Blue relays and Jaguar had updated them to brown and then finally black relays.

The blue ones would overheat and the car would die or not start.

Once I replaced the relay for the low speed (under 4000 RPM) pump the car had no problems

I know it's apples and oranges however your symptoms are identical to what I was having on that XJR and a 20 dollar replacement relay solved it.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife's mercedes was dying when she was driving it and the crank spark trigger sensor (or whatever it's called) was bad. Would be right back to normal when the car cooled off.

You also might want to check that your plug wires have not lost conductivity due to heat.

OP
OP
K

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will check the relays. My plug wires are brand new AB wires, so I'm sure that's not the problem...as it's done this prior replacing the stock wires.
Hopefully it's not the crank trigger, as that's a little harder to replace.