Steering?

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a favor from a Gen 3 or 4 owner: With the car off, is your steering wheel locked tight in place? Mine can be moved slightly (an inch or so) left and right.

Last edited:

FoxyChicken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all cars have a little bit play in the steering wheel when the car is shut off, I just tried in my Mercedes and there is about an inch of play (and this play has no effect on wheel movement). I remember as a child I was playing in my fathers car in the garage and I tried my hardest to turn the wheel past the inch or so of play to the point it literally locked in place, there was no play at all anymore, whoooops! I high tailed it outta there and the next time my father tried to start the car he couldn't even turn the key in the ignition, I don't remember how he fixed it but he eventually got the car started.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all cars have a little bit play in the steering wheel when the car is shut off, I just tried in my Mercedes and there is about an inch of play (and this play has no effect on wheel movement). I remember as a child I was playing in my fathers car in the garage and I tried my hardest to turn the wheel past the inch or so of play to the point it literally locked in place, there was no play at all anymore, whoooops! I high tailed it outta there and the next time my father tried to start the car he couldn't even turn the key in the ignition, I don't remember how he fixed it but he eventually got the car started.
Most cars will eventually lock as a theft deterrent feature. Even my old 71 Vette does this via a spring loaded pin and a plate with several slots cut around the outside of it. The pin retracts when you turn the key, but if you have a lot of pressure on the pin because the tires are dragging it can be hard to turn the key to retract the pin. You have to pull the steering wheel just a bit to relieve the pressure first.

So a lot of it depends on where the pin and slots line up when you park the car. I think most cars tend to have them more off center though, so you typically won't engage them in normal operation, only when you try to turn the wheel without the key. If you've had your car aligned poorly or took the steering wheel off at some point and didn't get it installed on the same splines as before you might be more prone to it locking sooner though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21