Stereo Help

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been having stereo problems, so I spent several hours today removing the mess someone had installed before. The car had a fancy flip up face Pioneer head unit that blocked the A/C vents on the car (pretty important here in Houston!). I have been using it in the closed position, but would like a more basic head unit. I also removed the Sony Xplod amp (I'm guessing it is 5 years old). The car has 8 MB Quart speakers and the subwoofer was removed before the car was delivered.

I would like to reuse the 8 speakers, but think I want a new head unit and amp (need some bass somewhere also). I am fine with stock radios in vehicles, so I don't want anything fancy.

I found a new Sony head unit at Best Buy that has a red display option (matching the stock gauges color is important to me), iPod connection, etc. that I am looking for.

Anyone have any recommendations or information that may help me? I will be doing the install myself (I've done several when I was younger). I need some help from the people who are up on what is out there, I haven't done this for many years!

Thanks in advance!

ViperBrockway

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might be interested in your old head unit, if your interested let me know the model information and how much you would want for it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you already have an aftermarket radio the install should be pretty straightforward.

If you want some more bass you need to put a subwoofer back in there. If space is a concern you could always get the JL 6W0 woofers that pop in the rear speaker locations. They don't sound as good as a true subwoofer but they won't take up any space either.

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there as been some interest in the stock unit I took out, so I will post the specs here and let you guys PM me with offers on what is a fair price for them. They are in excellent condition and everything works.

- Pioneer AVIC-N2 head unit with under seat box
- Pioneer GEX-PIOXMT XM Receiver which mounts under seat as well

Both have all wiring, antennas, etc. Sorry, no back up camera! :)

Anyone else wanna help me with the new stereo???? :dunno: :D

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Just Had A Jvc Installed!! It Has 3.5 Inch Monitor On Deck Itself. Also Has Bluetooth Already Built In And Works Great!! I Had A Custom System Done. U Can See It Under Thread Custom Stereo On 99 Viper650r. It's On First Page. The Deck Works Great And U Can Even Watch Dvds. Don't Have To Worry About Flip Out Monitor. If You Like Stock Radio I'll Sell You Mine!! Its The Alpine From My 99.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte