Stereo upgrade, speakers...

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there are quite a few discussions about stereos and sound. Just started my upgrade, I didnt want to spend a lot of $. This is my progress:
Changed the head unit to Sony with Ipod cable, replaced factory door speakers with POLK DB650 components. I left everything else alone, factory amps and wires. I thought I could get away with that, BUT when I turned in on, there is whine/noise with the better sound. So I took it to my friends at Circuit city, they were great and said to replace the amp and all the wires, stock wires **** they said. So thats what I am doing today. Nah I will let them do it today. Will give you guys an update later. Thought it may help someone who had same thoughts about stereo upgrade.:dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see so many posts about the stock Alpine unit sucking. Compared to what? The 5 transistor AM radio my dad had back in the 60's? Personally I think the factory system ain't to bad. It can drown out all the squeaky noises the cheap plastic interior makes.

So how hard is it to rip out all of the factory wire and put in the good stuff, just in case I get bitten by the morebetterlouder bug?

OP
OP
M

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they hooked up new amp, new speaker wires, (I advised them to hook everything outside the car i.e., not pulling out factory amps and factory wires), same thing still a severe whine when the ignition is on, but no whine when key placed in acc position. So I started messing around with the crossovers...etc. Nothing, anyway they were talking about new speaker wires, new power lines separate from the battery straight to amp and unit. A lot of work..I said no and asked them to change the head unit, voila...it was the head unit. Now i have the polk speakers, new Pioneer unit w CD and Ipod. Sounds incredible with the factory amps and factory wires.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 98 GTS had Polk speakers (all of them) and sounded awesome. I wanted to show the car and installed a DVD/CD/MP3/ipod/XMradio Jensen Head and support unit. The sound stayed the same as it did with the stock alpine.

My '01 GTS has a complete sock stereo and the sound *****. I've got speakers on order.

Ted

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory head unit sounds terrible mostly because the EQ (equalization) is bad. It was not the most important aspect of the Viper so they just did a half assed job. Even though the name says Alpine it's basically a watered down unit built to factory specs and cost restrictions.

Aftermarket units almost always sound brighter and have more range simply because they EQ it that way. In addition the stock speaker drivers are very cheap. They cost Chrysler on the order of $3-4.00 each.

There's no reason to replace the stock wiring. They are totally capable of handling whatever you want to run through them. Unless you're competing in the db drags where they run tens of thousands of watts at huge amperages stock wiring is fine.

OP
OP
M

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with GTSnake, there is no need to change factory speaker wires if they are fine. The housing for the wires are so tight that you will have a challenge fitting them through because aftermaket wires are usually thicker.

The factory amps are doing great with the Polk DB6501 component speakers and the Pioneer CD receiver DEH-P3900MP. This head unit is great for me, it has CD, MP3, AAC, IPOD adapter, AUX line in up front also. I got the IPOD adapter so I can stick the ipod in the glovebox (stays put during hard cornering) and see the names of the songs on the receiver display. It also has preset EQ and custom. Great for changing the sound w one button.

The sound is really a lot improved, night and day, specially at high volume, it DOES GET LOUD, I LOVE IT, the trebles are great on the tweeters. Bass is improved quite a bit with the new door polk speakers (nothing like a 10 in subwoofer, but it will work for me now, I may change the rear speakers next). I did not change the "rear" speakers, they are stock.

I only spent $ 365. I bought an open box item for the speakers so they only cost me $80.

My old factory alpine unit could not even play my burned CDs and could not be adapted for IPOD. So I had no choice but to replace it. I think the head unit would sound a lot better with the new speakers only.

So now I have a set of factory speakers for sale......ha ha ha.....

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When replacing the Head unit, is a special wiring harness needed? And also what else is necessay other than to disconnect the battery when changing out the speakers?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When replacing the Head unit, is a special wiring harness needed? And also what else is necessay other than to disconnect the battery when changing out the speakers?

If you want to keep the factory amp you will need a DIN adapter. See other threads that have discussed this many times.:bdh:

Why would you disconnect the battery for changing speakers? Just don't turn on the head unit and no power will go to the speakers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I installed the Jensen DVD in my 98 GTS I cut off the DIN plug at the head unit, separated the wires, tested and them used them with the new head unit - no problems.

Ted

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do the stock speakers look like. I have alpine speakers in my 99gts where they an upgrade??? I still have the stock deck unfortunately.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stock speakers look like stock speakers and they're Chryco, not Alpine. Small magnets, no brand name except on the inside back. I like the stock Alpine deck and amp, plenty of power if you upgrade the speakers. My 98 GTS had Polk installed and I used Hertz in my '01. Both sounded great!

Ted

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used these,bought them off of ebay new for $40.00.bolted right in to the factory screw holes as well:headbang: .i unsoldered the wires from stock and resoldered on the polks.they are a huge improvenent over stock:) ...not to say that some of you rich guys cant afford a hell of alot better:D

You must be registered for see images

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put in 2 pairs of Alpine SPR-17S component speakers and a Alpine CDA9985 head unit in my '01 GTS. Factory wires and amp. No whine, better sound. Door speakers took a little craftiness to install, rears slipped right in.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put in 2 pairs of Alpine SPR-17S component speakers and a Alpine CDA9985 head unit in my '01 GTS. Factory wires and amp. No whine, better sound. Door speakers took a little craftiness to install, rears slipped right in.

Hey dave,i`m putting the Infinity Reference 6010cs in my doors this weekend.:headbang:
You must be registered for see images

i think? they will fit.:dunno: :D

OP
OP
M

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2.5 months after the polk audio install, still great sound. Best thing I did sound wise, I am enjoying it, thinking about the JL audio 12 inch subwoofer, if anyone has installed it, please let me know what kind of amp you used? A single 8 ohm JL audio will need a lot of power to drive it, another option is to replace the 2 6.5 subs with aftermarket subs which sound better.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2.5 months after the polk audio install, still great sound. Best thing I did sound wise, I am enjoying it, thinking about the JL audio 12 inch subwoofer, if anyone has installed it, please let me know what kind of amp you used? A single 8 ohm JL audio will need a lot of power to drive it, another option is to replace the 2 6.5 subs with aftermarket subs which sound better.

Use a JL amp. They're great sounding and bullet proof. I have the 500/5 or just use a single channel for the sub. Here's what mine looks like.
532JL_amp.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc